Gym or Home Work- out?

Options

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, you're lying to yourself if you think you can't get better results in less time with access to the kind of equipment you typically see in a gym vs. just a set of dumbbells and a little doorframe mounted pullup bar. Also, you can safely push yourself harder when there are people around who are trained in first aid and can spot you. It's not for everyone though. I find that unless you can make it to the gym early in the morning (which is not for everyone) you often have to restructure your workouts around what equipment is available. Additionally, commuting to and from the gym may be problematic for some people. Personally, I prefer working out at home because I need quiet and I can't be surrounded by mirrors. I won't deny though that I'd get better results in less time if I had a commercial grade squat rack and rowing machine.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Gym-- no distractions, only one thing to do there: work out. Oh and the automated temperature control. Love it.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I go to gym usually I like to workout with a partner but if I don't have time home is a good option.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Home.

The cost of a good treadmill, rowing machine and multi-gym can be offset against gym membership in only a few years and you have the convenience factor if you actually use the equipment and you have the space.

For many people joining a gym may a better choice, lower initial cash outlay, access to trainers, group classes, wider range of equipment etc etc
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I prefer to workout at home because it cuts out travel time and day care and I can do it when ever I want to. I'm also lucky enough to have the space to set it up with everything I want, I suppose if I only had room for bands and DVDs I'd prefer a gym. Guess it depends on your situation and what you can put into a home outfit or not....... my home gym includes treadmill, spin bike, squat rack, punching bag, pole, yoga mats, plyo boxes, Lebert Equalizers, and of course big *kitten* mirrors so I can't cheat. I also have a high school a block away I run to at 5am and run up and down the bleachers.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My gyms got a punch bag, cargo net, tyres for flipping and oodles of weights. Home I have...a kettlebell. So yeah gym but I'd like to work on some home routine too at some point so have DL YAYOG and convict conditioning and want to get a door suspension thing
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'll take my home gym any day over the local gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    gym, love dem yoga pants.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a home gym with a squat rack and the basics. It works well since my lifting program doesn't call for much, but I wouldn't mind having the wide variety of machines that come with a gym.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Both! Of course my situation is different because I live in a studio apartment on a college campus, but I find each place gives me plenty of options. At home, I generally do YouTube workouts or DVDs (I've been doing a lot of Tae Bo the past couple weeks on YouTube), and at the gym I can get in my treadmill or elliptical workout whenever I get tired of YouTube or DVDs for a few days.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do both but would choose home over public gym any day because well, people.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Apparently the resolutionists are in full force now at the gym. If it wouldn't cost me a few k to set up in my basement...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I work out at the park across the street. Occasionally, I will stop by the community gym on the way back, even though I have already done body weight exercises. Some *kitten* has been leaving out the 40lb. dumbbells, often lying on the floor right at the door. Seriously, you use 40lb. dumbbells but you can't put them back on the rack?!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Home! I looooooove working out at home and hate going to the gym I always have. But now that im so committed to weight lifting I will have to start going to the gym in the new year as I will soon outgrow my at home workouts. Yaaaaaaay! But, awwwwwww, at the same time.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Personally I've made more progress And am more consistent working out at home. I have set up a pretty nice home gym area. I have no inhibitions because there are no witnesses lol.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I could never get into an at-home gym. It was boring. I lost all my first amount of weight doing an at-home work out, though. Bike riding. After that I began my gym-obsession in an "at home gym". It was just the tiny gym at my apartment complex/now job. I realized recently that I was in a rut there, though. It was boring. So I signed up for a gym and have been a gym-rat ever since.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Home works best for me right now. I'm a homeschooling mom, so I'm home all day, anyway. When my husband was rear-ended on his motorcycle, we decided we'd just use the insurance money to pay off some bills and share what used to be my car. I don't know if I'll join the gym again when we're debt-free.

I actually have gotten to the point where I prefer working out at home, except for the fact that my children are home. And constantly interrupt, but they're learning that I find fewer chores for them to do when they let me work out uninterrupted.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I will prefer Gym more because it is a human nature that when we know we have to go somewhere then we go daily and if we think that it is ok we will do workout daily in our home it is quiet not possible because it totally depends upon us.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Gym because I need to get away from my crazy house.
  • kingswaychi
    kingswaychi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Both I use the gym for cardiovascular, rowing machines, cross trainer, treadmill and various classes (or I will do when the new xercise4less opens next month) this is what I did at my previous gym and also I love my collection of workout dvds for home use. Have tried home cardiovascular equipment but I can't afford pieces to match gym quality