Swimming

Options
I'm just suprised that there seems to be little talk in the weightloss world about swimming, compared to tthings like running and exercise dvd's...is this just because they are easier to do at home/cheaply? I've never been a huge swimmer myself but I'm just trying to get into it as I've always been reminded how great it is for your body! Any thoughts? :)

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Swimming is an excellent form of exercise. I saw competitively for many, many, many years, even as an adult on a Masters team. I highly suggest it as a form of exercise.
    Unfortunately for me, it's not an option for me to swim right now... but I hope to return to the sport one day. You can burn an incredible amount of calories and get an awesome total body workout in a short span of time.
  • JJ_27
    JJ_27 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am not a personal trainer or in any way qualified, but I just know that the last time I was at my lowest weight was when I was swimming 3 times a week (for about 30-45 minutes). i find it harder than some exercises in terms of getting the motivation to do it, but find when I get into the pattern I really enjoy it. Good luck :)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I love to swim, but it's a significant time investment. It takes me about an hour at the gym to do 1/2 an hour of swimming, because of all the changing and showering and changing and showering... and then changing again and blow drying, etc. It's also annoying b/c if I don't swim first thing in the morning, I end up taking two showers and blow drying my hair twice... which is a killer on my hair.

I'll be happier to do it in the summer when I can use the outdoor pool and lay out afterwards...
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of THE BEST work outs you can do. You'll get cardio with strength, from your head to your toes. I was on swim team in highschool. I took lap swim at my college and I had a guy stop me and ask how I could swim for so long without stopping...he then told me how hard it was and how suprised he was....Since he is a wrestler and football player. He said he had never been so sore in his life....That made me realize how great swimming is. Can't wait to get on a team! =]
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I try to swim once a week as well as the running etc.
    I treat swimming as a bonus activity, not as a calorie burning activity. I find that it compliments the other activities that I do, especially the running.
    Im not a great swimmer, but going every week has really improved my overall form. Gosh its boring though lol. When I can swim a whole session (50min) without any stopping Ill be buying myself one of those waterproof mp3 players as a reward.