Looking for tips and help

Options
Hi

I want to pick your brain - what do you do that is working.

I hear people say, don't eat after 7p
I have heard, give yourself a cheat day
Others have said, work out 5 - 6 times in a week

But what is an effective way to shred my last 40 lbs?

I need to loose it and I need to trim down on my stomached fat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Eat less, or exercise more. Or both.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    onasaz wrote: »

pretty much this...

meal timing is all about preference, do what suits you and fits your day best.

the amount of exercise is all about preference - and if you're training for a particular event or fitness goal that you have.

cheat days are a preference, but personally i dont not eat anything so i have no need to 'cheat'.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Basically, an appropriate calorie deficit will work. And, you can't really target belly fat. Keep at it! Add me if you need a buddy!
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    mstormth wrote: »
    Hi

eat when you like, even before you go to bed if you feel like it, just do what works for you and eat at a calorie deficit

a day here or there will not matter as long as it is once in a while, cheat days tend to become the norm so get your habits sorted first, make the change to what you eat and how you eat and make that permanent, then introduce cheat days if you wish, its all about balance

workout as much as you feel comfortable with, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit working out will maintain (to a degree) muscle mass whilst losing weight

hope that helps

to summarise - eat a calorie deficit, get into that habit, lift heavy things, repeat
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Hi

There is no time that you have to stop eating. The only time you should stop eating is when you're sleeping so you don't choke. If you had to stop eating after 7 you would have a lot of hangry third shift workers.

I personally don't believe in cheat days (other than birthdays & holidays) especially in weight loss mode, because it could derail your weekly progress. What you should try to do is add some of your favorite foods everyday in moderation. If you love ice cream, chips, cookies, pie, beef jerky etc. try to fit it into your daily calorie goal.

The most effective way to lose the weight is to make sure you're eating at a calorie deficit. If you don't have a food scale it could help with measuring things like peanut butter, salad dressings (that have a gram amount), ice cream, different meats, etc.

You unfortunately can't target/spot reduce the fat on your belly, but eating at a calorie deficit might help get rid of some of that. You could also look into strength training (something I also need to start doing).
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi

What has worked for me is this:
    I stopped listening to anyone claiming to have a quick fix, rules or easy or fast weight loss.
    I ignore people who try and tell me to do things their way.
    I got my motivation clear and set SMART goals of what I really wanted. (Most Helpful thing i did)
    I learned how to keep myself motivated to stay on my chosen plan EVERYDAY.
    I found ways to get support from like minded people. (unfortunately these forums are not the best place to get support. Read a few threads and you will know what I speak of.)
    I track every bite of food and exercise. I weight and measure everything I eat.
    So, in the long run eating less and exercising more was what helped me lose weight.
    Getting my motivation clear and setting goals helped me be consistent over time with the plan I choose.

good luck to you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's all about a caloric deficit, so it doesn't matter what time you eat. Exercise is a plus to help maintain muscle mass while you're losing (ideally this would be strength training).
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Can someone help me to understand what calorie deficit is?
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'd throw in some HIIT training which will burn extra fat. You will also need to begin doing some compound exercises (if you're not already), things like a Barbell Clean and Jerk, Deadlifts etc.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Hi

You take in less calories than you put in.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    onasaz wrote: »

QFT
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi

You take in less calories than you put in.

I think she means you take in less calories than you use up through just living (BMR) and movements / exercise (TDEE)

in order to work this out you need to set your activity levels on MFP, log your exercise (but reduce the calories to 50 - 75% of the MFP database / machines) and weigh and log your food

then you weigh yourself and track your own progress and adjust as required because they are just calculators giving an average response .. you may be able to eat more and lose, or have to eat fewer