Random: Induced lactation = Weight Loss?

Options
Okay, you may think I'm weird but this idea randomly popped into my head and I wanted to see if it would actually work. Not that I'd try it or anything.

So, like nursing women typically lose weight right?

Since you can induce lactation, wouldn't it be possible to use a breast milk pump a few times a day... maybe fill up a few bottles (I don't know how that stuff works) and lose weight the same way a nursing woman would?

Like I said. COMPLETELY RANDOM.
But it's something I wanted to see if someone could answer.

-shot-

Replies

• Andithin
    Andithin Posts: 8
    Options
    Inducing lactation isn't as easy as it sounds, but i guess if you were able to produce enough to pump it out then maybe. Also not all nursing women will lose weight so you have to take that into consideration.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    In theory it's possible, but even if you were able to produce more than a few ounces, "filling up a few bottles" would take an hour at best. Probably easier to spend that time in the gym :)
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely that will be of much weight loss benefit for you. A breastfed baby typical nurses every 1 1/2-2 hours. The way a baby suckles is not comparable to the way a pump extracts the milk. Pumping a few bottles a day is difficult for a naturally lactating mother...and many who are successful breastfeeding mothers who produce sufficient milk for their baby, don't always get the same response through a pump.

Also, not all breastfeeding mothers lose that fantastic weight.

So to sum this up...I would not recommend this. It would not be worth your time or money or anything.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Nice answers.

Wasn't sure if it'd actually work.
    I've induced before, but not for weight loss.

Just a random thought that popped into my head.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am a nursing mother and i can tell you that it does not make losing weight any easier. I nurse me baby about 10 times a day and i pump extra milk to donate. I am not losing weight fast. In fact if i was not nursing i would probably lose quicker, because it seems to me that my body is holding on to the weight so i can nurse.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have been nursing my daughter since the very beginning and she is now 17 months....I am still fat..... in theory yes, you would burn some calories but not enough to make it worth inducing lactation IMO.
  • fishboat
    fishboat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It just would not work for me...........I am a man. Ha. All you women can try that, but I think eating the right food would work better. Fishboat.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sure it's worth a try, fishboat! <3
  • x10459
    x10459 Posts: 1
    Options
    Actually, I was able to induce lactation easily and it did help me lose weight. It takes a lot of time to induce lactation, but if you can stimulate 3-4 times per day for 10+ minutes at a time, you will produce milk. Your body does not know if the milk is for a baby or not, so the same calories are burned (~500 extra per day). If you don't eat anymore, it works as well as exercise.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept! Who would have thunk it!