Preparing for Thanksgiving

Options
13»

Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you enjoy in moderation & skip the foods you don't really like. One day won't derail your previous progress (might have temporary weight gain from sodium), but if you continue to eat over your calories then it could.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I once heard that people who are naturally thin tend to eat whatever they want on special occasions but go right back to eating how they normally do the very next day..

:huh:

• Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't track at all on the actual holiday. My main focus is getting right back on track the following day and sticking to it until my next cheat day, Christmas! I am planning how I'm going to pack my leftovers, though. Turkey is awesome protein, so I'm going to make sure I pack that separate (no gravy on it etc.) so I can make badass protein packed soups and wraps out of it for the week. My parents have always had steamed broccoli and roasted asparagus on Thanksgiving so I'm going to load up on that, too. I'll probably pack two dinner-sized containers of a little of everything, then put them in the freezer. Freezing leftovers means you'll have to cook them, so you can't pick at them in the fridge. I'll pull out the dinner for one cheat meal after a few weeks of solid tracking. I also have a recipe for tofu-pumpkin pie. It tastes exactly like pumpkin pie, but it's like a third of the calories and high protein, if you want it. It's really easy to make, too.

Good luck :smiley:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't track at all on the actual holiday. My main focus is getting right back on track the following day and sticking to it until my next cheat day, Christmas! I am planning how I'm going to pack my leftovers, though. Turkey is awesome protein, so I'm going to make sure I pack that separate (no gravy on it etc.) so I can make badass protein packed soups and wraps out of it for the week. My parents have always had steamed broccoli and roasted asparagus on Thanksgiving so I'm going to load up on that, too. I'll probably pack two dinner-sized containers of a little of everything, then put them in the freezer. Freezing leftovers means you'll have to cook them, so you can't pick at them in the fridge. I'll pull out the dinner for one cheat meal after a few weeks of solid tracking. I also have a recipe for tofu-pumpkin pie. It tastes exactly like pumpkin pie, but it's like a third of the calories and high protein, if you want it. It's really easy to make, too.

Good luck :smiley:

This is actually a damn good plan... :drinker:
  • ddarpel
    ddarpel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of freezing the leftovers. For my part I plan to track the day of. I don't enjoy myself if I feel out of control on what I am eating - I'm still trying to lose and I get more angry about any gain than bothered by tracking.

Here is what I am going to do. Maybe one or two of the ideas will help someone else...

1. I have already built my meal plan out for the day so I know I can cover everything I love to eat and only be slightly over my calorie goal. A workout or long walk in the moring whould give me the extra calories I need to cover the gap and any extra tasting and picking that is always a part of the holiday for me. If I go overboard with anything I'll clean up my food log and adjust as I go.
    By logging ahead I at least have an idea of how much I can eat of what. I've thrown out a few things that don't top my list - so I stick to the "good stuff" that I want. I typically keep a total in my head and log after. On a holiday like this knowing my plan ahead helps me to keep from digging a hole during one meal that I will later regret.

2. My wife will know my plan too - She will be on the "ignore calories and go for it" plan, but she knows that doesn't work for me and will help me along the way. We have been in this together and that helps a lot.

3. The tradition for my brothers and our families is a day long paintball event on the day after! So there will be lots of exercise to come.

4. I have also thrown the macros out the window. I'm staying at only a calorie count and focusing on the foods I love - despite the balance for the day.

This approach has worked through a year of holidays so far. I do not dread Thanksgiving because I have a plan. It will not be perfect, but it will be close. In the end the food will not get in my way of enjoying so free time with my family.