Exercise addiction?

mynameiscarrie
mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
From people who have experience with this, or people who know or just want to give advice... where do you draw the line between being really motivated and loving to workout and being addicted to exercise?

I've been working out at least 6 days a week and now when i take a day off I feel guilty and I get into horrible moods. I'm not saying I'm addicted to exercise, but my past is full of addiction and unhealthy behaviors regarding food and fitness (anorexia, binge-purge type). I just want to know if I should start monitoring it, just as a precaution and, if not, when would be a good indicator of a detrimental workout behavior(s)?

Replies

• Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    I don't mean to alarm you but.....you got a SNAKE on you!! Don't panick!! i don't think they bite!!.erm....hard..oh dear!
  • marte80
    marte80 Posts: 25 Member
    I don't know if you can get addicted to exercise or not but I think many people that are serious about maintaining/losing weight feel guilty when they miss a workout. You are the only person that can gauge whether you think you are addicted or not. I will say that an addiction to exercise is better/safer way to lose weight unlike your past eating disorders. If you are eating healthy and no longer purging then you are doing a great job. I think that it is very admirable that you are conscious of your past issues and you are trying to avoid those future behaviors. That is pretty important progress in my opinion. Try to stay around a healthy BMI and you'll do fine. I know alot of people that workout 6 days per week; perhaps that is what your body needs.

Good luck to you in your journey!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Depends. Are you exercising and feeling guilty for not exercising because you think you have to burn off all (or even some) of what you eat in a given day or is it because it makes you feel good (endorphins)?

If it's the former, I'd be concerned. It could be a sign of exercise bulimia if you are exercising to get rid of calories eaten or that you plan on eating.

If it is the later, I wouldn't be too concerned. Maybe on your rest days, you can just do lower intensity? Take a nice walk around the neighborhood for 1/2 an hour to an hour?? That way you get the boost of feel good endorphins without putting stress on your body.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    I think if you have to ask then you may be there already. But, you are aware. You want to be healthy...body, mind and soul. If you are becoming obsessive about your workouts, this is a bad sign. Just monitor your behavior and adjust as needed. Not the most helpful advice, I'm sure, but it's the best I got :wink:
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    could be a sign - exercise addiction can be a real problem for some people as they dont think they can take rest days and feel guilty.

I am one of those who feels guilty when they do nothing, so I have found a solution that seems to be working so far.

Firstly, my "rest" days are walking days. Doesnt feel so bad when you have walked for an hour or so.

Secondly, I have committed to a difficult challenge that I need to train for - a half marathon in under 2 hours. This means that I need to stick more closely to a training schedule which factors in rest days as part of the training. It's hard, yesterday I went crazy as it was a rest day, but knowing that I will train harder and better on my "on" days is helping a lot, I'm noticing a difference in my abilities to train when I need to pull out all stops on hard training days.

Rest days are important, you can still do something fun like rollerblading, cycling, walking that is active but it just isnt done at the gym or on the track!

You can do this - Its taking all my willpower but I am doing it!!
  • cfinley21
    cfinley21 Posts: 18
    I wish I had this problem. The thought of excersizing every day is exilerating to me! I want to do that! Dont worry about it. I would ask your family doctor tho.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    bumping this for myself
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Where do you draw the line between being really motivated and loving to workout and being addicted to exercise?
    I too have an addictive personality, and am aware of the same concerns as yourself.

Personally, what would ring alarm bells is if I found myself refusing to take part in a social activity if it meant I could not work out that day.

But frankly, and I'm sure you acknowledge, there are far more destructive habits to get into. :)

EDITED TO ADD: Where it becomes a problem is when you suffer illness or an injury that prevents you from getting that endorphin high - try and drum it into your head now that it's going to happen, and it will only be temporarily, and you can deal with it. That's the voice of experience btw, I had a carpal tunnel op, bust the ligaments in my ankle and broke a collar bone in my ankle and I still remember that I felt SO frustrated at not being able to get my exercise high.

Fortunately I had a friend who was aware of disability issues and who borrowed a wheelchair for me, so I could burn while my ankle was healing. :bigsmile:
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Hi there

a couple of years ago I was treated for OCD, if you think yuo are addicted to something try this exercise
    1 write down the problem
    2 draw a line on the page down the middle
    3 ask this question - what will happen to me if i do/do not do the above
    4 spend 10 minutes and write down all the consequences you can think of to both sides of the question, the important thing is to be as honest as you can here with as many answers as possible
    5 read the question back, look at the answers and then decide for yourself which is more important - then do that and feel no guilt

it will not stop the feelings you are currently having, however it will with practice help you to feel better about what you do or dont do and puts things in perspective
    I still do this most days now to keep from slipping back into OCD overload,
    good luck
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Today was my "Rest" day and I did 60 mins of back and biceps!...*sigh* lol

Walk on your rest days, do a totally different form of light exercise if you really have to but normally I take my rest day or do X Stretch, it is hard but your body really does need the rest and you will benefit from it in the long run.

I found understanding why our bodies need the rest helped me not feel as guilty.

Ben.
This discussion has been closed.