BMI

Options
2»

Replies

• Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yeah I might increase it manually to about 1600. See if that helps.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    Is it a good thing if your BMI doesn't change. It hasn't moved since 10/15/14. Staying the same. 23.9

BMI is a terrible indicator of anything.
  • DoubleAxion
    DoubleAxion Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I run quite a lot and do core strength training once or twice a week depending on my family/work schedule. One thing I have found is to weigh once a week only, and that being first thing on a Wednesday morning. This is due to body weight fluctuating widely because of food and fluid intake in preparation for running on weekends and fluid loss (perhaps even gain in over-hydration) after running on weekends and other ends of the extreme activities such as squash in cross-training and steam and sauna sessions. One would have to evaluate where one's 'middle-of-the-exercise-week' is where a fairly good estimate of one's true weight can be obtained. Personally, I believe: Weigh yourself in a scenario which is easily replicated on a weekly basis: same place, same clothes (or no clothes), same time and same day of the week. As long as it is consistent.

If you decide to weigh yourself on a different day of the week, be open minded enough not to bluff yourself in thinking that it is OK but at the same time not to get depressed if the result is not according to expectation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I am using my scale which does it along with my weight. My weight has been fluxing. Back in Oct, when I started I was 142(3), then went to 138 (right after TOM), last week 138, today 140 (a week before TOM) so not sure if losing or not...lol

That's not BMI. If it's on your scale and doesn't change with weight but separately from it, then it's body fat percentage. And the scale measures of that aren't particularly accurate.
  • Poofersgrl
    Options
    Oh ok....says BMI....23.9 oh wells and 32.7 body fat
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    good info. Might try to do more of a deficit, recently it's been 100 and under ( i like to eat) lol but I am eating more healthy. Not snacking as much, except like raisins, fruit, carrots etc. Some stuff is hard to weigh, like some of my processed meals (hamburger helper etc) and 1 cup of stuff, doesn't seem like enough for me.
    Easy fix: know how many calories are in the entire pan/pot/etc. Put all of it on the scale after it's cooked to get a total weight. Now you can weigh out a portion instead of trusting the cup.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That's weird. Your BMI will change whenever your weight does. Maybe it's just what you put in initially or it's being averaged? For example, if you are 5'4 and weigh 140, that's 24.0, but if you are the same height and weigh 138, that's 23.7.
  • Poofersgrl
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yep I am 5 4 and 140...23.9 BMI and 32.7 body fat....didn't really look last week when I weighed in, guess I should have. I do think I was at 23.7 last week when it was 138.

PS: I weigh myself every thursday morning in undies. I also raised my calories to 1600 to see if that helps.
  • andymcclure
    andymcclure Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You may want to try some other measurements to track your progress: waist, hips, neck, etc. With a relatively small amount to lose and a small calorie deficit, the scale is not going to give you much info. But, if you're eating better and getting some exercise, you may see bigger changes elsewhere.

Also, try to ignore BMI. Unless your height is changing, it's just another way to track your weight.