Loose skin???

Options
So I have a LOOOOOONG way to go as I'm just starting out but now I'm seeing all these photos of people who lost 100 lbs and now have loose skin.

I'm glad people find value in getting healthy and I don't mean this to offend anyone with loose skin because I think they're all amazing and I do admire their progress.

I definitely intend to lose the weight regardless, but I do want to know if I can avoid loose skin at all. It would just be nice to know ahead of time because I'm not going to be able to afford surgery to remove it, and also I'm terrified of surgery. lol

Is it 100% definite that if I lose 100 lbs I'm going to have loose skin? Or is this different for each person? Are the people with loose skin losing too quickly, or is that not as much of a factor?

I guess I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do to avoid having loose skin later on as I start trying to lose this weight...! Or maybe keep it to a minimum...?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It's not 100%, but it's kind of unavoidable if it's going to happen. Genetics plays a big part, as does how long you've been overweight. I've heard people say that a slow loss help reduce loose skin, but do not have personal experience with it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Genetics does play a big part, and 100 pounds is a lot to lose. It is my understanding that it also depends on how long you've been overweight.

I suggest a low sustainable loss and weight lifting.

I've lost about 80 pounds total since I was in my early twenties, fluctuation with gains and losses in between, and I've been overweight from the moment I was born, and I have some lose skin but not a whole lot. I have always exercised, even when I was fat, and this time I lost my weight very slow.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lose slow and lift heavy.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    ive lost 60lbs and i have loose skin. Im trying to lift heavy weights to combat this but it would have been alot easier if i lifted weights while i was losing the weight (i lost it through diet and running) Definitely start a weight lifting routine along with cardio. However, you still may get some. But a bit of loose skin is better than alot of fat, no?
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs and I have a lot more to go (50-60), but I was told if you lose it slowly and lift often it should help minimize it, I myself too have been of overwight my entire life, but I carried my weight really well, so fingers crossed! for you as well! Good luck!
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lose slow and lift heavy.

I've lost nearly 50 kg....

Genetics, water intake, tons of creams and what randomtai said :)

Good Luck!!
  • Erikhulse
    Erikhulse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have tons of loose skin in my stomach area after losing 180 pounds. It is slowly shrinking, but it's gross and nasty. But it sure as all heck beats having 180 pounds of excess fat on my body.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    There have been so many threads about this issue, so you are not alone!

I do know the loose, extra skin on my abdomen from my first pregnancy never went away. I don't want to discourage you, since every person is different. We can each only offer our experiences. But mine was always there, despite losing back down to a low weight (105-ish) and working out.

HOWEVER, my friend, who was five years older with her first pregnancy than I was with mine (I was 19) and gained 20 more pounds than I did, never had ANY loose skin, and she didn't work out (she's never been into working out at all).

I know this is hard to hear, but you'll know when you get there. Also keep in mind that even if you do wind up with some loose skin, there are many people on here (and IRL, I've seen this as well) who have some loose skin after a weight loss, but tighten up at least some during the first year or so after they reach their weight goal.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    There is really no way that I know of to predict whether you will have loose skin after losing 100 pounds. I know people who were older than you are currently who lost over 100 pounds with little or no loose skin, and I know of people younger than you who lost far less than 100 pounds and have loose skin. That is simply a reminder that genetics have a lot to do with what happens. Probably much more than we would all like it to play.

Losing slower may help as it gives time for the skin to adjust. Lifting weights my helps a little as well as may good nutrition that provides the vitamins and minerals needs to keep the collagen in your skin healthy, but in the end it comes down to genetics.

Also realize that when you reach your goal, it can take 2 years before your skin tightens to the maximum it will tighten, so that loose skin may reduce even after you stop loosing and enter maintenance.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's almost all genetics, unfortunately. Look to your mom..did she have a lot of stretchmarks after having her babies?

Like others have said, lifting weights and losing slowly helped me reduce my loose skin while losing 100+ lbs, but I still had an area on my lower abdomen that required surgery to really get rid of it all. (But it wasn't much and nobody could notice it, even under a bikini bottom.) Dry brushing and a really good cream can make the skin look better, and manual lymphatic drainage has helped smooth out the bumps. Best of luck!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin after losing 70 lbs (I'm 5'2"), but it's basically all from my stomach where I had stretch marks post-pregnancy. I couldn't care less. I didn't lose the weight to look good, I lost it for health reasons. Any improvement in appearance is coincidental.

IMO it's not really worth thinking about unless/until it happens.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Age and genetics are the two biggest factors. You're young, so your skin is more elastic than someone 20 years older. So yes, lose the weight now!

I do have a question for those who recommended heavy lifting. How does strengthening muscle help skin?
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone - lots of great advice here. Thank you thank you all. I'll definitely accept it, whatever it ends up being - but I am seeing a lot of thoughts on heavy lifting here and I should definitely give that a try.

Any advice for a lifting beginner? =]
  • randomtai
    Options
    Age and genetics are the two biggest factors. You're young, so your skin is more elastic that someone 20 years older. So yes, lose the weight now!

I do have a question for those who recommended heavy lifting. How does strengthening muscle help skin?

The muscles fill out the skin and recomps your body.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone - lots of great advice here. Thank you thank you all. I'll definitely accept it, whatever it ends up being - but I am seeing a lot of thoughts on heavy lifting here and I should definitely give that a try.

Any advice for a lifting beginner? =]

Stronglifts 5X5 is what I used at the beginning. It's straightforward for me.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I can't remember where I read it, I think it was somewhere on mfp... the slower you choose to lose weight (.5 lb/week loss or TDEE -15%), the less the probability you'll end up having loose skin. Gives the body a chance to get used to the weight loss. Losing weight too fast doesn't give the body time to catch up. Oh, and strength training helps a lot too.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Age and genetics are the two biggest factors. You're young, so your skin is more elastic that someone 20 years older. So yes, lose the weight now!

Hmm...that doesn't make much sense.
  • randomtai
    Options

Hmm...that doesn't make much sense.

Google Weightlifting and Loose skin and you will have answers if mine doesn't make sense. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • dangie2002
    dangie2002 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I attached a link to the beginner's workout routine that I started on a few months ago. I now am on to another plan. Its from Muscle and Strength Website. They even show demos of the lifts and describe them in great detail. Also, if you can afford it, a personal trainer may be good to help ensure you are using proper form when lifting. You don't want to hurt yourself. I lifted 20 years ago (in high school) I currently do not have a spotter, so instead of bench pressing (which is better to use free weights) I use an Incline press machine.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    OK I googled, still doesn't make sense.

So someone who is, say a size 18 loses 100lbs of fat and is now a size 6, but with loose skin. Lifting weights is supposed to "fill in" the loose skin so that you "fill in" some of the volume that the fat had taken up, right? How many women who were once 100lbs overweight are going to build enough muscle to "fill in" the space that those 100 lbs of fat used to take up? That's just not a realistic or even a desirable goal, is it?