Calorie count for exercises

Options
I may be totally wrong about this, but I feel like the calories burned during exercises are calculated to be too high. For example, the calculator said that I "burned 570 calories doing 60 minutes of "Bicycling, 10-12 mph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)" However, when I look at other online calculators, they give me an estimate of about 350 calories burned, which 'feels' more right based on my workout.

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    YES ! exactly that way. i was thinking about this earlier . the excersises you are choosing from a lot of it is based on hard *kitten* working people, who literally can't move afterwards most likely. except for things like zumba and turbo jam, and rowing those actually burn that many calories coming from personal experience. i guess it just depends on how much effort you really are doing
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from comparing with a a Heart rate monitor that MFP definitely does estimate high..
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I agree, the estimates are waaaaay high!! I would get a HRM...
  • KiraNerys
    KiraNerys Posts: 2
    Options
    I also agree. What I often do is underreport my exercise time. For example, if I mow the lawn for an hour, I report 45 minutes, or sometimes even 30. Otherwise, I tend to overeat to compensate for all those calories burned (not).

5339169.png
  • Sesilje
    Sesilje Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That must mean it also takes your current weight into account.

If I type 60 mins into MFPs "Bicycling, 10-12 mph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)" I get an estimate of 380 calories.

I currently weigh 139 lbs (bmi: 22.9).
  • rgsmi
    rgsmi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 67 minute bike ride (mountain bike on dirt/gravel with hills) MFP came back with 890 calories. Other sites came back with 837. So for this data point, anyway, it's a bit high, but not that high.
  • topshot
    topshot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the calorie count burned is also waaaay high. I walked for 90 minutes on a hike. It reported more than 1200 calories burned. There is NO way this is true - it was probably a little more than 1/2 that amount. So I have to waay under-report the amount of time I do an exercise. It would be great if the ppl in charge here at myfitnesspal would respond.