I have one week to be "beach ready."

Options
I have booked a last-minute (for me, it's last-minute) trip to Mexico leaving in exactly one week. Can you recommend any good exercises to do to quickly tone-up ... or at least give me a little bit more confidence? I'm not out of shape, but I have taken about two-weeks off from my usual workout regimen. My membership lapsed at my too-expensive fitness class studio, so I want to find something I can do on my own time for about 1 hour/day.

Thanks!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You cannot make any healthy noticeable changes in a week, really. Just do some sort of working out and you'll be fine.
  • ekg0328
    ekg0328 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fiinneee ... I'll just do squats at my standing desk.

I'm a firm believer in the placebo effect as a confidence generator after regular work-outs. I was probably hoping someone would give me a magic workout video from the 80's or something ... I would do it. Don't think I wouldn't do it. And I would be beach ready in days.
  • kittikat1119
    kittikat1119 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Maybe JM One Week Shred. Though you probably won't see any major changes in that time, it is a workout designed just for this purpose. Have fun!
  • ekg0328
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll do it. And I'll make that bag of mini oreos that I had for breakfast my last.

Appreciate your help!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    LOL.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    go buy a new swim suit that makes you feel awesome and sexy.

That will do significantly more for your attitude and confidence than a million desk squats.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    But you should start working out anyway- because clearly you would like to make a change. why wait till after vacation? Changes start the day you start making them happen- not tomorrow- not next week- not January 1st.

just do it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    start four months ago …

the only thing you could really do is go like zero carb for a week and lost a ton of water weight…but you will probably be a miserable mess….
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    But you should start working out anyway- because clearly you would like to make a change. why wait till after vacation? Changes start the day you start making them happen- not tomorrow- not next week- not January 1st.

just do it.

Yep yep yep.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    OP--you're adorable and have a nice smile. That's all you need, you're already beach-ready!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    go buy a new swim suit that makes you feel awesome and sexy.

That will do significantly more for your attitude and confidence than a million desk squats.

Not entirely sure if OP is serious, but on the off chance that she is ^^^This is my recommendation as well!
  • ekg0328
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    OP--you're adorable and have a nice smile. That's all you need, you're already beach-ready!

Thanks so much! You've made my morning.

And thanks for making me feel better, everybody. *typed during a 2-minute wall sit

In all seriousness, I did a barre class for about 4 months and felt great/noticed some results after a few classes, but in the end I didn't feel like it was as much of a benefit. I think I just need to mix stuff up better, and was hoping I'd come across a different workout that felt immediate, if only because I've been eating my mom's cooking for the last two weeks and anything is an improvement from my butt dent on the couch.

Thanks again!
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    sun tan oil. water wings. book. sunglasses. hat. towel. bathing suit you like.

there you go.

and if you'd like to make physical changes
    1) ditch the attitude that you could do something in a week - that'll lead to failure
    2) plan for a longish time to get there
    3) find a great plan you like do it
    4) reap the awesomeness that you've gained!!!! (YAY!)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I agree that I don't think you even have to worry!

That said- my MO in situations like this is usually to avoid foods that could cause excessive bloating for the week before. Certain vegetables, refined carbs like pasta and white rice, beans, gum, artificial sweeteners, soda/alcohol & salt especially.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    I agree that I don't think you even have to worry!

That said- my MO in situations like this is usually to avoid foods that could cause excessive bloating for the week before. Certain vegetables, refined carbs like pasta and white rice, beans, gum, artificial sweeteners, soda/alcohol & salt especially.

I agree that you may actually see results from severely restricting salt, caffeine, and any thing that makes you bloated. You will FEEL lighter and it will give you a great confidence boost! Have a great trip!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You can cut down/out carbs, it will be mostly water weight you lose though, but as someone who was concerned about the same thing before going on a beach vacation in Dominican Republic and seeing very large women (at least 300lbs) wearing 2 piece swimsuits unashamedly, I so got over my body image issues quickly.
  • cdez80421
    cdez80421 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have found a few places (online) First off my favorite is zuzkalight.com.... she charges $9.99 a month and post a weekly workout scheduled and new workouts every week, workouts are anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes (most days) and VERY challenging, I try to do two workouts per day. Another site where I have found challenging workouts would be benderfitness.com, again, very challenging and her site is free!!! Another would be toneitup.com these are also free, good workouts but not as challenging as the Zuzka or bender fitness.
  • ekg0328
    Options
    All, great advice! I'll be checking out those fitness websites. Appreciate it!
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I find if I avoid junk food and ready meals for a week I feel slimmer - maybe because I am less bloated when I eat properly? Am a pizza addict, lol. I agree with the other posters, you will look amazeballs whatever you do!