Seeing results???

Options
Ok so I know that obviously every body is different and loses weight differently, but how long TYPICALLY does it take to see results?

If you work out or don't work out but are still eating super healthy.. do you notice your stomach getting smaller, legs getting smaller, saddle bags disappearing etc after two weeks? three weeks? six weeks?

I've heard something like two weeks for you to notice, three weeks for friends to notice or something like that. But I would love to hear from people on what they have seen and what they have done to get there!

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Results are all in one's own brain. Personal anecdote time:

When I weighed around 280-290 in my early 20's, and lost it down to 190, I looked in the mirror, and didn't see myself any differently. I mean, I knew I had lost weight, and it wasn't any sort of body dysmorphia, it was just a new "normal" to me as if I'd seen it every day of my life previously.

However, now that I'm dropping down from 310lbs, I'm down to about 300 in 2.5 weeks, and I can already see a noticeable change.

It really depends on your mindset, and also what results you're looking for. I mean, if you're talking about packing on muscle, you could go six months to a year (if not longer) before seeing any results even if you're doing everything right because it is such a slow process.
  • into_fitness
    into_fitness Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ahh okay thanks! It is sometimes hard for me to see change, if there is any, because I feel like my mind plays a trick on itself! and I either think I see results when there aren't any or there are results but I don't think I can see them yet.. I dunno!

Thanks for the input! and right now I am just about losing the fat before packing on the muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends how big you are to start, where the weight comes off, how you're dressing, standing and how rude your mates are :grinning:
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    For me, I started noticing big changes after about 20 pounds. No one else noticed (or said anything) until around 25 pounds. I was a little disheartened when no one said anything. I even posted here asking a similar question to yours (community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1450406/17lbs-and-no-one-notices#latest. But now people mention it all the time. I started at 202 and am now 172.

• into_fitness
    Options
    Wow, great job! Yea I feel like it will be a little "unmotivating" if you will to know that I'm losing weight but to not have it noticed. Oh well... as long as I know that I am eating healthy and doing the right things that eventually it will be noticeable, both to myself and others! I just can't wait for that day where someone is like "wow, you look great"!
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    For me it was strange- I found it hard to 'see' it in the mirror but I measured my progress with a dress that was too tight before I started. Every week I put the dress on and it was obvious where I had lost weight. It has only been recently in the last month that I've really started to notice it myself. I get a lot of comments now, after 21 pounds lost which makes me wonder how bad I looked before! Also, I didn't do this to get attention from anyone else, I did it for me so I wasn't really bothered if people said anything or not. But it's nice to hear!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Depends how big you are to start, where the weight comes off, how you're dressing, standing and how rude your mates are :grinning:

Haha, this. I have lost 30 pounds and am down two pants sizes (from 317 to 284) and nobody has even said a thing-- either they don't notice or they just realize that weight is often a touchy subject and don't feel they need to say anything. It's not "unmotivating", but sometimes can be disappointing.

My husband said it's sometimes hard to tell because I'm always in coats and oversized clothing and most of the time I wear black, so it does depend on how you dress.

I don't see any differences in the mirror, but obviously I'm smaller because my pants are smaller. I think it's probably the thing where I see myself every day so I just forget what I looked like 30 pounds ago.

• into_fitness
    Options
    joanna_82 wrote: »
    Also, I didn't do this to get attention from anyone else, I did it for me so I wasn't really bothered if people said anything or not. But it's nice to hear!

I completely agree! I am most definitely doing this for me - I have been struggling with getting in to the mindset of losing weight. I've WANTED to do it, but have never been able to stick to it.

I just think it would be nice to hear from others if they notice as well - just a bit of a confidence boost!

• into_fitness
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Haha, this. I have lost 30 pounds and am down two pants sizes (from 317 to 284) and nobody has even said a thing-- either they don't notice or they just realize that weight is often a touchy subject and don't feel they need to say anything. It's not "unmotivating", but sometimes can be disappointing.

I agree. It can be disappointing.. I guess that is the word I was looking for. and yea it can be a touchy subject so that makes sense!

Great job on losing the 30 :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When it does start it's like an avalanche and can get a bit uncomfortable to be honest - because they start going 'don't lose any more' and look at you weirdly

I think people started commenting when I hadn't seen them over the summer - but it went into overdrive when I wore a fitted jumper dress rather than my trousers to work

• joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also to echo what someone else said above- there will be some people that won't comment on it for whatever reasons. Some people I know have their own weight issues so find it hard to say that you look nice if they feel bad about their own weight. The nicest thing that someone said to me was that I looked relaxed, happy and healthy. I loved that comment because it didn't relate to weight. Of course, there will be some people who will ask you if you are ok, ask you if you are starving yourself or tell you to stop now. I ignore those people mostly because they usually fit into the category above, and I'm confident that what I'm doing is healthy and a change for the rest of my life.
  • into_fitness
    Options
    joanna_82 wrote: »
    The nicest thing that someone said to me was that I looked relaxed, happy and healthy. I loved that comment because it didn't relate to weight. Of course, there will be some people who will ask you if you are ok, ask you if you are starving yourself or tell you to stop now. I ignore those people mostly because they usually fit into the category above, and I'm confident that what I'm doing is healthy and a change for the rest of my life.

First of all, great for you! let your haters be your motivators :) and second, I love that! I think that's a great thing to tell someone!

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've only lost like 15 lbs, but they started commenting on it by 8 lbs. I only have about 8 lbs more to get to my goal weight.
  • into_fitness
    Options
    good for you! great work!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I really think it depends on your size. I haven't lost much, only 2.4 lbs in 15 days, but I started working out again and I am starting to notice the changes already. My husband is starting to notice too because he mentioned yesterday that I was starting to shrink some.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I'm almost at 20 lost and no one has really noticed except my husband, who knows how much I have lost so he kind of has to notice. I notice because my pants are falling down nowadays and I need a belt. I am trying to take pictures once per month and from four months ago I can definitely tell, but not so much from month to month if that makes sense. I also measure about every two weeks so it's not just the scale number but a myriad of things that I use to track. Overall it's how good I am feeling because I'm slimmer and eating better, much better.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I didn't start having people comment until over 20 lbs. Some of it depends on how you dress or how much you have to lose. Another food for thought though that someone once said (I believe on here) is that some people won't say anything because they are afraid you will take it the wrong way. Like they were calling you fat before (which most of us were). Weight is a really uncomfortable topic for most people so don't stress too much if no one says anything! One of the best quotes I read also is this: It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing; it takes 8 weeks for your friends and family; it takes 12 weeks for the rest of the world
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I started to notice a difference in myself at about 20lbs (my stomach looked like it was getting a little flater, my thighs were less rounded and more lean, etc) but people didn't start noticing until I lost 45-50lbs. I'm assuming they might have noticed earlier but didn't mention anything beacuse weight can be a sensitive topic. One of my coworkers asked me if I was okay since it looked like I'd lost a lot of weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    With a little extra exercise and a little less of my already healthy diet, I saw results in a couple of weeks. It probably wasn't noticable to anyone else, but I could tell in the way my pants fit.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    I could see the difference in pictures at around 10lbs, in the mirror at 15lbs. Now at just over 20lbs and no one has specifically mentioned weight, but I've gotten a few "you look well" type comments. They can't quite figure out why yet. I'm thinking it will be another 5-10lbs before the first comment.