Why do we self sabotage? I have a terrorist living inside me.!

Options
I started my diet, keto! hit a road block constipation due to adding more protein. Then to solve this I added fruit. which on this diet you not supposed to eat! So my calories have exploded! And I tell myself I am eating clean, its a fruit after all. God created it! it is not man made! Talk about a holy war! going on inside me!
I sabotaged myself eating cherries, which I love love, my to favorite fruit ( Thank you God for creating them:)
Any solutions! would be appreciated :)

Replies

• court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    keto is tough. at least you snapped on cherries and not like... cherry pie.

i find that the first few days are always the hardest. maybe find another time to start over and really, really exercise your willpower. really, it's only a few days. then after that hump, you'll start to feel better and then get used to the new way of eating.

my mom and i did the dr. oz detox for two weeks straight and man, those first 3 days were nothing but headaches and cravings for cheese. i was already sick of only being able to eat pickles and veggies. but then after that first week, i got used to the portions and foods and then it was over.

it's tough but you can do it!
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    hey also, maybe you can find a buddy to do it with you. usually when i have to answer to someone else about my diet/eating habits, i keep myself in line better. i also have a people-pleasing personality, BUT if you're competitive, it can also work very well that way too.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    111grace wrote: »

Sure. Stop keto. Eat in a deficit.

• 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Good philosophy look at the positive side of things :) it was cherries and not cherry pie haha.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Protein can cause constipation? Maybe that's what I'm going through! Sorry if this is too much info. I just haven't been able to figure out why I am constipated all the time now.
  • 111grace
    Options
    Yep protein can cause constipation!!! crappy topic I know haha. but painful. Increasing fiber seems to help. If you come up with a better solution let me know.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Nonsense diet is nonsense. Just eat in a calorie deficit. It isn't rocket science.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »

QFT. End the war!!!
  • otherowl
    otherowl Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Grace, Keto is NOT a high protein diet. You shouldn't get more than 30% of your calories from protein, less is better for most people. If you're drinking enough water (the rule is whatever feels like enough, then double it) incorporating healthy fats, greens, non starchy veggies and nuts everything should be okay. You can also add some live saurkraut (the kind in a jar in the refrigerated section, not sitting on a shelf) and nutritional magnesium. You won't have to go as frequently, but that's because of the reduced residue. Many people find adding coconut oil helps, too (anywhere from one teaspoon to two tablespoons a day).

An aside, I'm confused as to why people who have nothing useful to contribute to a discussion feel the need to express their unsolicited opinions. Everyone has reasons for making the life choices they do, and that includes diet. We do not all make the same choices, but I would expect adults to be mature enough to respect the different choices of other adults.
  • 111grace
    Options
    Hi my protein is not over my allocated amount, sometimes I just manage to get close to it.
    I was never a big protein eater, so on this diet I had to up it, but still in range ( more like below). My carbs have not quite got it right still on the high side! I don't know if my body is rejecting the protein ( chicken). Maybe there are some people( maybe one in a million) I don't know who cannot eat protein ( this is what I am trying to reason within myself ). Fat/Oils are not a problem, butter, coconut etc I make my daily %. Sauerkraut? we don't get that here. Will look to adding a magnesium supplement. I also added a teaspoon of flaxseed seeds.

Trying also to count calories but my fruit intake in the past week and a half have shot my calories up!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options

yup. love your kidneys. stop keto.

• otherowl
    Options

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll gladly direct you to published medical studies proving there is no unusual harm/danger to kidneys. There IS an increased risk of kidney STONES, IF you don't drink enough water. Basically eating a ketogenic diet is tricking your body into operating as though it's on a water fast, burning the fat stores but there is also a danger of kidney stones if you go on a water fast and do not drink enough water.

I've done several multi-day water fasts with absolutely no ill effects. Humans survived as a species because our bodies function quite well for an extended time in a fasted state. I've always believed that the continual exposure to plentiful food and the myth that the averagely active person needs to eat three (or more) meals a day is one of the biggest contributors to obesity.

When your body is in ketosis all organs function differently, but not worse.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're going to eat flax seed, it should be ground for better results.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    yes, please. I"m interested in such studies. what "you've always believed" should be irrelevant with good studies. please send!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    You should stop keto just cuz you make fruit sound like it's the worst food in the world. "Sabotaged yourself"? With fruit? That's a first... most people use sabotage and junk food in that same sentence. Just eat at a deficit without freaking out about food.
  • otherowl
    otherowl Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yes, please. I"m interested in such studies. what "you've always believed" should be irrelevant with good studies. please send!

I'm happy to oblige.

1. Long term effects of a Ketogenic Diet in Obese patients ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

2. Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

3. A review of the therapeutic uses of very-low-carbohydrate (ketogenic) diets nature.com/ejcn/journal/v67/n8/full/ejcn2013116a.html

That's enough for now, there's stuff on the internet and probably tons more if you actually go TO a library, plus tons of obscure studies referenced in articles and on websites.

Finally, here's a final link, it's not a study but an interesting, down to earth article in Scientific American about ketogenic diets that references other studies (primary focusing on neurologic impact, but if our brains are healthy it follows the body should be more inclined to be so, doesn't it? Plus, I find the thought of dementia, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's frightening prospects as I enter my ummm, golden years). blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/2013/10/01/the-fat-fueled-brain-unnatural-or-advantageous/
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here come the keto haters!! Haha

OP, out of curiosity..why did you choose the ketogenic diet?

Don't look at eating cherries as sabotage. That's unhealthy. Maybe you can look at eating an entire ice cream cake as sabotage but even then that's just lack of control. You can eat fruit on keto as long as it fits into your macros. Berries are lower carb than most other fruits. Google chocolate raspberry fat bomb and strawberry fat bomb. Also there's a cherry ice cream recipe out there somewhere too that's keto friendly.

If you really want to do keto..planning ahead can help tremendously with staying within your macros and calories.

Psyllium husks are a great source of fiber that can help with your bowels. I use the cvs brand fiber that contains them. Also, fermented foods and a probiotic, and sugar alcohols can help in some cases, too.

I do keto and love it..but it's not for everyone.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

I love my kidneys. I do keto. I also love to do my research before I hand out advice.