Glycemic index

Options
I am diabetic but don't particularly pay attention to the glycemic index of most foods. Does anyone track the glycemic index of foods in order to avoid highs and lows in blood sugar which may affect hunger? Does it affect weight loss in other ways besides just hunger feelings?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not diabetic.

But, I try to limit foods with a high glycemic impact/load (rather than just where they are on the index). It's the approach I used when I was losing and it's how I've eaten the last 13 years. (I didn't count calories)
    All I know is: when I build a diet around low glycemic (impact/load foods) as a whole, I have no trouble eating within my calorie goals. For me this is: low glycemic, high fiber, nutrient dense vegetables, meats, some dairy, seeds, nuts, some legumes, and some WHOLE grains (not with every meal, sometimes not every day). And I limit added sugars to less than three grams per serving. It works for me. And makes it all pretty painless, and I'm eating a pretty healthy and tasty diet. And I've never felt "deprived", hungry, or out of control.

Good luck finding what works for you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Instead of doing that, which is quite a pain, I look at my total carbs. If I am under 40%, I am not eating foods that will make me spike and crash. That's not low carb, it means I am getting more of my calories from protein and fat and both of these parts of my diet moderate the glycemic effect of carbs on my insulin levels.

From a weight loss perspective, I cannot lose weight easily if my carbs are over 50%. When I'm under 50% or especially 40%, the weight comes right off. High blood sugar and spiking insulin sequester that blood sugar as fat, your blood sugar will tend to overshoot and be too low, the insulin slows fat burning for a period of time (around 2 hours), and you get hungry. That either makes it hard to stick to your calorie goals or you eat and don't hit them. It's why I'm starving 2 hours after a filling waffles breakfast but can go until 1 on eggs.

It's a pretty easy change to make. I found it helpful.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Glycemic index and glycemic load are inconsequential to weight loss. If you are diabetic, it can be advantageous for health reasons to control your blood glucose levels, but as far as weight loss, all that matters is calorie intake, that is it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    If your question is about carb sensitivity regarding diabetes, please provide which type you have as well as whether you are on insulin (if type 2).

I have "double diabetes" (i.e. I have type 1 and I also have type 2). There are some type 1's who eat LCHF diets in order to prevent or limit post-prandial spikes. Those individuals must be cautious because they usually have higher basal rates set up in order to manage slower BG increases from protein (and fat, depending on quantity). If one of those people skipped a meal one day, they would be at risk of hypoglycemia. So it requires dedication and consistency about when and how much of each macro is eaten (particularly protein and fat, as those diabetics often bolus for carbs).

If you have type 2, then you need to clarify whether you are on insulin. If you are on both bolus and basal insulin (or on a pump with both), then the above would apply to you. If you are just on a basal insulin, then you will likely see smaller post-prandial spikes if you eat fewer carbs, but you will see higher sustained glucose levels instead. If you are not on insulin at all (i.e. you are controlling with oral medication or with diet), then a LCHF diet makes the most sense for you because you are not at a point where you are setup to manage the post-prandial spikes in any way whatsoever.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just someone who has had more training than most GP's and live with these diseases.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You probably should pay attention. Unless you are exercising a lot it, it converts to fat faster and specifically for you it causes your sugar to rise higher. In addition, if it impacts hunger, then it also throws off your ability to stay in a calorie deficit

"Your body performs best when your blood sugar is kept relatively constant. If your blood sugar drops too low, you become lethargic and/or experience increased hunger. And if it goes too high, your brain signals your pancreas to secrete more insulin. Insulin brings your blood sugar back down, but primarily by converting the excess sugar to stored fat. Also, the greater the rate of increase in your blood sugar, the more chance that your body will release an excess amount of insulin, and drive your blood sugar back down too low.

Therefore, when you eat foods that cause a large and rapid glycemic response, you may feel an initial elevation in energy and mood as your blood sugar rises, but this is followed by a cycle of increased fat storage, lethargy, and more hunger!
    "

Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index#ixzz3JdQeXOkb

• QueenInge
    QueenInge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If your question is about carb sensitivity regarding diabetes, please provide which type you have as well as whether you are on insulin (if type 2).

I have "double diabetes" (i.e. I have type 1 and I also have type 2). There are some type 1's who eat LCHF diets in order to prevent or limit post-prandial spikes. Those individuals must be cautious because they usually have higher basal rates set up in order to manage slower BG increases from protein (and fat, depending on quantity). If one of those people skipped a meal one day, they would be at risk of hypoglycemia. So it requires dedication and consistency about when and how much of each macro is eaten (particularly protein and fat, as those diabetics often bolus for carbs).

If you have type 2, then you need to clarify whether you are on insulin. If you are on both bolus and basal insulin (or on a pump with both), then the above would apply to you. If you are just on a basal insulin, then you will likely see smaller post-prandial spikes if you eat fewer carbs, but you will see higher sustained glucose levels instead. If you are not on insulin at all (i.e. you are controlling with oral medication or with diet), then a LCHF diet makes the most sense for you because you are not at a point where you are setup to manage the post-prandial spikes in any way whatsoever.

*Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, just someone who has had more training than most GP's and live with these diseases.

I am a Type 2 diabetic on oral medication. As expected my A1C numbers are increasing as my weight increases. I want to make sure that I avoid having to take insulin. Hunger feelings and sugar cravings are my biggest foes! Thanks for the great info.
  • QueenInge
    Options
    I'm not diabetic.

But, I try to limit foods with a high glycemic impact/load (rather than just where they are on the index). It's the approach I used when I was losing and it's how I've eaten the last 13 years. (I didn't count calories)
    All I know is: when I build a diet around low glycemic (impact/load foods) as a whole, I have no trouble eating within my calorie goals. For me this is: low glycemic, high fiber, nutrient dense vegetables, meats, some dairy, seeds, nuts, some legumes, and some WHOLE grains (not with every meal, sometimes not every day). And I limit added sugars to less than three grams per serving. It works for me. And makes it all pretty painless, and I'm eating a pretty healthy and tasty diet. And I've never felt "deprived", hungry, or out of control.

Thanks for the info. I will start paying more attention to the sugar per portion. Less than three grams per serving sounds much lower than I have been ingesting. Sounds like it would work well. I'm still fighting sugar cravings/addiction so I will have to work on it. Thanks.
  • QueenInge
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Instead of doing that, which is quite a pain, I look at my total carbs. If I am under 40%, I am not eating foods that will make me spike and crash. That's not low carb, it means I am getting more of my calories from protein and fat and both of these parts of my diet moderate the glycemic effect of carbs on my insulin levels.

From a weight loss perspective, I cannot lose weight easily if my carbs are over 50%. When I'm under 50% or especially 40%, the weight comes right off. High blood sugar and spiking insulin sequester that blood sugar as fat, your blood sugar will tend to overshoot and be too low, the insulin slows fat burning for a period of time (around 2 hours), and you get hungry. That either makes it hard to stick to your calorie goals or you eat and don't hit them. It's why I'm starving 2 hours after a filling waffles breakfast but can go until 1 on eggs.

Thanks for the simple numbers. Diet and nutrition is often mind boggling for the average person who has been brain washed by the commercial food industry. I have heard some diabetics talking about counting carbs instead of calories but I haven't had any schooling in the technique. I will watch for that 40% to 50% carbs level in my diet. I suspect I am consuming much higher amounts at this time. Thanks.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    QueenInge wrote: »
    I'm not diabetic.

Thanks for the info. I will start paying more attention to the sugar per portion. Less than three grams per serving sounds much lower than I have been ingesting. Sounds like it would work well. I'm still fighting sugar cravings/addiction so I will have to work on it. Thanks.

For me, limiting added sugar made all the difference for my cravings. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »

For me this didn't work as well. One piece of a baked good could keep my carbs below 40% for the day (given everything else) but one baked could would make it very hard for me to follow through with my dietary plans. Your approach does sound great though.
  • moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm type 1 and I count carbs strictly for the amount of insulin I need to take, nothing to do with weight loss.

Have you seen a dietician to help you out? When I was diagnosed I was sent to one a few times to explain a lot of this stuff. It's quite helpful and they have a lot of charts and lists you can reference while you learn about what to eat/not eat.

As far as sugar cravings go, fruit is always good. Or mix something sweet with something high fibre, like chocolate covered nuts. The low GI nuts will moderate the high GI of the chocolate.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I sort of do that. I don't look up the GI of every food I eat, and those I do look up I look at glycemic load. But I know that things like fiber and protein slow digestion and lessen BG spikes, and that fast digesting carbs eaten alone will cause a BG spike. I usually eat to avoid the spike.
  • QueenInge
    Options
    Great links! I am going to look at those sites further. I love info like that! The plot thickens....
  • QueenInge
    Options
    I'm type 1 and I count carbs strictly for the amount of insulin I need to take, nothing to do with weight loss.

Have you seen a dietician to help you out? When I was diagnosed I was sent to one a few times to explain a lot of this stuff. It's quite helpful and they have a lot of charts and lists you can reference while you learn about what to eat/not eat.

As far as sugar cravings go, fruit is always good. Or mix something sweet with something high fibre, like chocolate covered nuts. The low GI nuts will moderate the high GI of the chocolate.
    I did see a dietician in a seminar when I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My primary physician set it up for me. Maybe I need to see if further classes or meetings are available. I keep assuming it will be costly to see a nutritionist or dietician but I really haven't checked. I'll check back with my physician and also with my insurance carrier. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I sort of do that. I don't look up the GI of every food I eat, and those I do look up I look at glycemic load. But I know that things like fiber and protein slow digestion and lessen BG spikes, and that fast digesting carbs eaten alone will cause a BG spike. I usually eat to avoid the spike.
    Nicely and simply put.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

^This. A LCHF diet may make the most sense. Keeping track of your overall carb intake in relation to other macros is more reliable. Glycemic index isn't real world unfortunately - it measures glycemic reponse when ingesting only carbs in a fasted, overnight state. Most, if not all your meals are mixed and ingested in a fed state. While a white potato may be high on the glycemic index, mixed meals of proteins and fats, along with high fiber foods will blunt the glycemic response of said potato.

ETA: From the little I've read, there doesn't seem to be a concensus on what's better - post-prandial control or management of related risk factors and glycemic control to type 2 diabetes (weight, exercise).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Since you are on oral medication only, then your best bet for consistent glucose levels is to cut carbs and eat more protein and fat. I suggest limiting to 30g net carbs per day - if in the US, here is the formula to get to net carbs from the nutrition facts:

Total Carbohydrates - Dietary Fiber - 0.5 (Sugar alcohols) = Net Carbs

But that 30g can be difficult, and may take some time to ease into. That only helps with your BG spikes. Then for weight loss, you need to be tracking calories and eat at a deficit.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1. I don't base my entire diet on the glycemic index, but most of my diet revolves around the following (primarily so the meal's spike correlates with the peak in my mealtime insulin's activity):
    1. Eating a boatload of non-starchy vegetables that are high in fiber. I typically eat at least a salad a day and have a non-starchy vegetable for dinner most nights. Potatoes tend to spike me up really bad, so I try to avoid them.
    2. Eating foods high in fiber. I don't count carbs from fiber when calculating my insulin dose, so, by eating a diet really high in fiber, I can take about 1-2 less units of bolus insulin per day.
    3. Eating carbs coming from whole grains if I want to eat something really high-carb. When eating out, avoid high-carb and high-fat meals unless I program a wave bolus on my pump. If I want a chicken burrito bowl at Chipotle, then I need to order one with brown rice (whole grains), black beans (lots of fiber), and salsa instead of cheese/sour cream.
    4. Typically avoiding very high-carb meals at breakfast. My insulin resistance is really high in the morning, and it is easier for me to grab a low-net-carb, high-protein, moderate-fat shake, take some insulin to cover the net carbs and a portion of the protein, and avoid having post-breakfast readings above 200.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double post