Trying to convince myself this is a good, yummy lunch..... :(

Options
12346»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Make your own dressing with lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Yum! There are also recipes online to make your own italian dressings and such.
    This, we're not kids, we don't need dressing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    ....7 ounces of iceberg lettuce...

Iceberg lettuce is pretty much the most useless "food" ever grown. Dump it, replace it with something that actually does something (anything!) for your body.

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sorry that salad looks sad. Eat things you enjoy you should not have to convince yourself that something is good.

bacon-salad.jpg

pizza-salad.jpg?313ab3

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mixed greens would be healthier. But they're bitter

That is simply not true. Take spinach for example. Pretty much the best of the bunch in terms of nutritional value. I dare you to honestly say that FRESH baby leaf spinach is bitter. If anything, it is slightly sweet.

It tastes bitter to me. I'm not saying it's bad and that other people can't like it. I'm saying that I don't. I don't know if I've had baby leaf, specifically, FRESH or not.

If you taste sweetness, that's great for you. I wish I did.

I'm not sure why some people can like something and others don't. Never thought about the how's and whys before. It's an interesting idea!

You cannot argue taste, though, lol. Everyone is different. :)

I wish I had saved it but I didn't, but I read an article recently about how differently people perceive tastes. One of the ideas being floated was that picky eaters are much more sensitive to bitter flavor, and so things that might not taste bitter to other people will taste that way to them. I thought it was interesting.
    Do you remember where you read it?

I am what most would call a "picky eater." I try so hard to like foods that I don't like, but (shocker) have little success. Always attributed it to being raised on total crap, but maybe I'm Bitterness-Challenged.

To follow up on that... I've never read a study on it, however in culinary school it was covered many times that you have to be very careful about bitter flavors when making food for children, and that in general "picky" eaters will cotton to a lot of the foods that children like, owing to an underdeveloped sense of taste.

Which then lead to discussion about recipe development for the lowest common denominator, and that a focus on sweet over all other flavor types will increase sales...

Now, I don't think picky eaters are children, I just found that the anecdotal statements jived quite well with my professional experiences when I was a cook.

Want to ? :smile:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/5/1101.full.pdf&embedded=true

It doesn't seem to be underdeveloped taste - actually, an overdeveloped or different sense of taste.

That said, it can sometimes be overcome. I hated all typically bitter veg as a kid. But as I've gotten older and eaten more and more (had no choice - thanks mom), I've developed an appreciation for the bitterness in some. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, baby spinach is OK, cauliflower ...

I wonder if that's why I find many things taste so much sweeter to me than they seem to do for other people?

ETA: links - stupid oversensitive trackpad
  • frostedpoptart
    frostedpoptart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No dressing? Salads are horrible without dressing imo. A good dressing (doesn't have to be high cal) can turn a salad from a miserable lunch to one you actually enjoy eating.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Real bacon rocks. Also, maybe add some avocado and garbanzo beans.
  • kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Put some dressing on there for God's sake! Try the Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing. They are only about 50 calories per serving and delicious. My favorite is the honey mustard.