Fitness Trackers

Options
Has anyone switched from a bodymedia tracker to another? Were you happy with it? I need to look for a new one because bodymedia isn't for sale any longer and I know that there are other options out there, I just don't know what is most like what I am using (which I really like). I mostly do kickboxing (which makes me wonder about the wristband type trackers) and resistance training with some walking/running thrown in. Please help! I appreciate any advice!

Replies

• indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 15 which is an activity tracker AND a HRM. You could use it as a HRM for kickboxing and the rest of the time to track your steps. I find it MUCH more accurate than the fitbit,which I used to own
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitbit girl!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I switched from a BodyMedia to a Fitbit 5 years ago and have used Fitbits since. I would like to try a new tracker but it's hard to beat their package.

If you like having all the extra sensors the BM has, you might look into the Microsoft Band, the new Basis product (Peak, maybe?) or the Fitbit Surge, coming out in early 2015. I'm not sure if the Garmin Vivofit has skin sensors but it might have more than many types. There is also the Polar Loop but I think it gets bad reviews. So many options!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm still using the Bodymedia, as it was the most accurate on the market when I bought it. However, they've broken the software, so it no longer syncs with MFP and it has constant problems uploading, so I will soon be looking for a replacement.

Of the old-school ones, I think Garmin Vivofit was next in line after Bodymedia...but there are some exciting new ones coming out soon, like the Amiigo, and I think I'll wait to see how well those work before deciding.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm always leery of items that ship from Asia, having been burned before on cheap electronics from there. They usually take 8+ weeks to arrive, often arrive non-functional and must be shipped back for replacement (taking months), and support in English is non-existent.

They can't make an Amazon ad with proper English, so who did the English for their app? The 'google translator English' would bug me. Kaluri = calorie, for example, in the ad.

I don't say this to be negative, just as a caveat emptor.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LOL! We need a sarcasm font. Sorry, I wasn't remotely serious. I was making fun of the Engrish.

"Weight imbalance people:
    Food addictive ability, through sports bracelet can know whether the energy consumption of the day is greater than the inhalation of heat"

I do love inhaling heat.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LOL! We need a sarcasm font. Sorry, I wasn't remotely serious. I was making fun of the Engrish.

"Weight imbalance people:
    Food addictive ability, through sports bracelet can know whether the energy consumption of the day is greater than the inhalation of heat"

I do love inhaling heat.

Haha! "/s" is usually a good indicator!

I have a fit bit personally but there's several new trackers coming out early 2015... a new Fitbit, Amiigo, and a Healbe GoBe (thought the technology is still up in the air for this one).. all of which are more technologically advanced than most of the current trackers out.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I loved my Body Media Fit but have recently switched to the Misfit Shine.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I loved my Body Media Fit but have recently switched to the Misfit Shine.

Do you like the misfit shine? I was checking it out but wasn't 100% about it..
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Jawbone just came out with the Up3 also. It's supposed to be a lot more advanced. In fact, some of the measurements appear to have come from their purchase of BodyMedia.
  • vicki269
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback! I did look at the UP3 but I feel the need to boycott Jawbone since they discontinued the one tracker I was comfortable with and love. Plus with the kickboxing I don't think that the wrist tracker is a great idea. I would have to probably put it under my wraps so that it doesn't come off when I take my gloves off. I have read a lot of great stuff about the fitbit one. So far I am leaning that way with a HRM to gauge my intensity. If my Bodymedia will last (my armband keeps breaking) I will try to keep it through the holidays and look for the new ones to come out in 2015. Thanks again!!
  • 4DML
    4DML Posts: 3
    Options
    vicki269 wrote: »
    If my Bodymedia will last (my armband keeps breaking) I will try to keep it through the holidays and look for the new ones to come out in 2015.
    I don't think there is anything on the market just yet that is superior to the BodyMedia. While you're waiting, you can buy a replacement armband. They're about $7. I just ordered one a couple of weeks ago.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Get the Jawbone UP3 when it comes out next month. It is basically a BodyMedia branded as a Jawbone and has no subscription fee.

Oh, I just saw you don't want to support Jawbone. Oh well. I'm buying it. Its got tried and true BodyMedia technology, so I'm not buying anything else.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Glad you all posted this thread! I have a Garmin 305 that I'm afraid is on its last leg. I would like to change to 1 device that could handle the GPS route tracking, heart rate, calories burned AND be able to use it indoors just as a heart rate monitor. I've owned my 305 for 6 years now so if the new Garmin products last like this one, I'm getting one of those.
  • coasterphile
    coasterphile Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was going to suggest the Jawbone UP3 but see you're against it.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Love my Misfit SHINE! Does what I need it to do: Motivate my rear end to get up and move! (and I love that it tracks my sleep, the area I need the most work on.) Top selling points: 1. No charging required. 2. Waterproof. 3. It really, REALLY, is pretty. I just have the plain gray colored one (it was half-off) and would prefer one of the fashion colors (I love the wine and storm) but the $50 price break makes GRAY beautiful! I did buy the necklace and the leather watch band...they track the same. I've used the clip on several different body parts as well as just loose in my pocket...same. Love this little device. Granted it IS just a glorified pedometer, but that's all that I was looking for. My favorite thing each day is to give it a little tap and see the lights "dance" around if my goal has been met. If I'm not quite there it DOES motivate me to get a little more activity in. I just had to raise my daily goal because I was meeting it way before dinner. If I can push myself to complete it early, then it needs to be higher...speaking of which...time for this girl to go work out so that I can get my "dancing lights" today! ((HUGS)) to all!

ETA: I was a diehard BM FIT wearer but it died after 4 years of continuous wear. I, too, can't seem to get behind Jawbone. If something isn't broke, don't fix it.
  • arijaycomet
    Options
    Some great replies in here. I'm another notch on the post of "not a Jawbone fan" ... I don't have any BodyMedia experience, but I've tested virtually all the trackers on the market today. Check out my blog: http://www.arijaycomet.com

As other said, a good heart rate monitor (HRM) would be a great accompany to your current list of devices. I personally prefer a chest strap, but you could get a device that has a HRM build in like the new Fitbit Charge HR when it comes out next year. Right now the best option would be the Basis Peak ... again check out my blog, tons of recent reviews of most of these products.

I'm a huge fan of the Garmin Vivofit and Vivosmart because those link directly to your HRM, allowing you to leave your phone stashed away. And the Vivofit has an amazing battery life of one year. The Vivosmart gives some geeky fun like notifications and other features. I'm rocking a Vivosmart daily right now and have enjoyed it. Good luck happy hunting -- ari / arijaycomet.com
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Some great replies in here. I'm another notch on the post of "not a Jawbone fan" ... I don't have any BodyMedia experience, but I've tested virtually all the trackers on the market today. Check out my blog: http://www.arijaycomet.com

As other said, a good heart rate monitor (HRM) would be a great accompany to your current list of devices. I personally prefer a chest strap, but you could get a device that has a HRM build in like the new Fitbit Charge HR when it comes out next year. Right now the best option would be the Basis Peak ... again check out my blog, tons of recent reviews of most of these products.

I'm a huge fan of the Garmin Vivofit and Vivosmart because those link directly to your HRM, allowing you to leave your phone stashed away. And the Vivofit has an amazing battery life of one year. The Vivosmart gives some geeky fun like notifications and other features. I'm rocking a Vivosmart daily right now and have enjoyed it. Good luck happy hunting -- ari / arijaycomet.com

What is your opinion of the Garmin FR15--Have you tried it