Fasting after a "cheat" day?

Options

Replies

• SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Your body does not "remember" that you went nuts yesterday, it only knows that it is starving today. It messes with your blood sugar levels and overall metabolism

really does not have an impact on the metabolism. Fasting is actually very beneficial

I would be interested in hearing what the benefits are of fasting, if you would be so kind to list some. :)
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Binging and fasting as a habit is probably not a healthy was to live-but when I have family get togethers I like to eat lots of goodies -I'm usually either not hungry the next day or a bit sick of food-I've never sated completely-I just eat a lot less. An Ed is a pyschological problem
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Have a bad day, move on. Binge then fast s an Ed. Go over one day by 1000? Maybe cut down 100 a day ov er next 10 days

No its not always considered an ED. I do fasting about once a week sometimes. Refeed saturday the fast Sunday.
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Your body does not "remember" that you went nuts yesterday, it only knows that it is starving today. It messes with your blood sugar levels and overall metabolism

really does not have an impact on the metabolism. Fasting is actually very beneficial

well i could do something even better! WIll give you an AMAZING link :D

here is a good place to start on the site: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

i think its best to have him explain it to you rather then me xD
    I would be interested in hearing what the benefits are of fasting, if you would be so kind to list some. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    There is really no need to do anything weird to lose weight. Fasting after a "cheat day" sounds pretty weird to me.
  • tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    The "smartest" thing to do is after a cheat / overeat / just didn't care day is to get back to your normal routine the next day. Everyone has heard that anything under 1200 and your body goes into survival mode.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    At the risk of annoying people, it's all bollocks. Oooh I ate some sugar so I must flagellate until I've purged my guilt. Exercise restraint on most days, go wild with the sugar on others. Make sure the good days are more numerous than the bad. There is no magic formula, a calculator wontmake you a size whatever.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    This guy may get away with it cause he is "healthy" but it would not be for everyone. I don't think that a "cheat" is bad but gorging one day and starving the next can create an unhealthy psyche and develop into an ED in folks with such a predisposition.
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'd rather run for 2-3hrs than fast :\
  • matwood74
    matwood74 Posts: 111
    Options
    The answers here are sooooooo divided..... yet they all make sense to me!!! Uh oh!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    This guy may get away with it cause he is "healthy" but it would not be for everyone. I don't think that a "cheat" is bad but gorging one day and starving the next can create an unhealthy psyche and develop into an ED in folks with such a predisposition.

Point taken. I do see that I made a big error in choosing my wording when I used the word "cheat day." I have painted a picture of someone who is "gorging" then "purging" by "starving" himself the following day, and honestly - this is not how the idea of this monthly ritual was presented to me. So, my bad.

But, calorie management IS such a large part of this weight loss journey, and I just saw this as a creative way to find balance, enjoy one's self, and still manage the calories.
  • Naomi91
    Options
    The answers here are sooooooo divided..... yet they all make sense to me!!! Uh oh!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Haha completely agree!

Fasting can be healthy.. if done for the right reasons. I have fasted after a carb refeed day but still ate very healthy that way. Other friends fast for 16 hours then eat all their cals in 8. All have a different approach :D

a "cheat day" Being full of pizza and other junk followed by a fast will make you feel terrible though. Lack of nutritious foods D:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    The "smartest" thing to do is after a cheat / overeat / just didn't care day is to get back to your normal routine the next day. Everyone has heard that anything under 1200 and your body goes into survival mode.

Despite so many here who think that happens immediately, it doesn't. It is if you eat that way consistantly over time. Check out the leangains link above. Fasting for a day will not in anyway put your body into survival mode. In fact it does the opposite.

As to those who think it is weird, people around this world have been fasting for as long a we have recorded history, and probably longer. Short term fasting is health and even good for you.
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    At the risk of annoying people, it's all bollocks. Oooh I ate some sugar so I must flagellate until I've purged my guilt. Exercise restraint on most days, go wild with the sugar on others. Make sure the good days are more numerous than the bad. There is no magic formula, a calculator wontmake you a size whatever.

Hmm... I am really shocked at some of the harsh reactions here. I see someone who exercises after having some sugar as a person trying to manage their eating and calorie intake - not as a person with a psychotic tendancy to "flagellate" the guilt away...

Is it better to have the sugar, then just lay on the couch like a whale and not care or even try to achieve that weight loss goal in spite of it?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

That is more a reflection of the amount of mis-information about fasting in the developed world. While if this behavior was a regular thing it might be an ED, but simply doing things this way are fine. I don't do that after a spike day because I don't want to turn fasting into a punishment. Instead intermittent fasting is a tool I choose to use.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

That is more a reflection of the amount of mis-information about fasting in the developed world. While if this behavior was a regular thing it might be an ED, but simply doing things this way are fine. I don't do that after a spike day because I don't want to turn fasting into a punishment. Instead intermittent fasting is a tool I choose to use.

Exactly. It is the connection between the two opposite ends of the spectrum that can cause problems.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Your friend is "special".

Wtf fast after a cheat day? Lulz.
  • Naomi91
    Options

Despite so many here who think that happens immediately, it doesn't. It is if you eat that way consistantly over time. Check out the leangains link above. Fasting for a day will not in anyway put your body into survival mode. In fact it does the opposite.

As to those who think it is weird, people around this world have been fasting for as long a we have recorded history, and probably longer. Short term fasting is health and even good for you.

yes check out lean gains :]

just a lot of mis information all over the boards. Gotta do some research :D just like my favorite myth:

"eating breakfast is important because it boost your metabolism" or something along those lines xD

not true xD
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I dispise the word cheat with regards to food. I think that he is being a little ignorant in changing his eating habits so drastically from day to day. You can't spread your calories over 2 days.

That is like saying I am going to take a 5 hour shower today because I don't have time to shower tommorrow and I can spread the shower over 2 days. Every day starts new. Just my opinion.

I agree.
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've never punished myself with fasting-if I need to punish myself it's almost always money related-and I have no choice but to go on a money fast:) if I eat a whole lot one day-I usually don't think too into it-if anything i allow myself to feel satisfied and content. And full. A fast may not follow but if it happens it's just to make my system feel better-I like the way a 24 hr fast feels-it's kind of cleansing in a tiny way and it's usually not weight related. doesn't have to b for everyone-don't some Mormons fast every Sunday?