What are your favourite healthy food swaps to cut calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    hot chocolate --> special dark cocoa w/ splenda for a cup of yummy cocoa for less than 20 cals
    mashed potatoes --> mashed steamed cauliflower w/ basil & garlic and lots of pepper. maybe with a butter substitute or nondairy milk if i'm feeling like it

Low fat or non fat cream cheese is great to add into mashed cauliflower...it helps make it creamy without the calories of butter or cream. I usually use the low fat herb and garlic cream cheese...delicious!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Not really a swap, but I've found that I prefer corn tortillas to flour tortillas.

I drink fewer high-gravity brews in favor of more sessionable ones. Still higher gravity than industrial lagers though.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers instead of hamburger is another swap.
    Lemon juice with parmesan, salt and peper (other spices as well) for lower cal dressing. Otherwise, I do what the others do. I am thrilled to have seen some of the cauliflower substitutes!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Popcorn at the movies
    > ice cubes (I ask the concession stand for 2 cups of just ice) and crunch away

Oh, my! I'm glad this works for you, but I'd strangle someone if I was sitting next to them through an entire movie crunching ice!
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't swap, I want the real thing. I eat in moderation, therefore don't have to go without.

this works also but i love stuffing my face and i want all the bang for buck i can get if i can eat twice as much for lower cal switches then i'm all for it, lol. moderation works sometimes for me but i love eating
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I don't usually really swap anything, I just change the proportions. For example, pasta salad: less pasta, more vegetables. I still get my pasta, but I'm getting a reduced portion of pasta and more veg. Win!

Yes, this is more what I usually do than a straight-up swap.
  • annehutson2
    annehutson2 Posts: 29
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I found Simply 7 Hummus or Quinoa Chips that help my Snack Craving, and Cacao Nibs with Chia Seeds and a Tablespoon of Honey helps my Sweet Tooth Cravings, Spaghetti Squash with fresh chopped vegetables and Italian Sauce or even Enchilada Sauce really takes care of the Carbs Cravings...I just try to find foods that add to my health and most of the time it cuts the calories because it isn't processed foods. I don't like Store bought Salad Dressings any more when I can add a bit of Feta Cheese or a Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar or even Make my own lower calorie healthier version salad dressing. I use all kinds of spices for home made vegetable soups and the favorite this month is pumpkin spice. Spices add another layer and keep me happy. I already do a lot of spicy food like Curry and Turmeric and Cayenne but I also enjoy Cinnamon and Cloves and Seasonings like Sage and Thyme and Rosemary...That way I don't get bored. Look at what ever it is that you know is unhealthy and put it in a search engine and you will certainly find many healthier options for sure.
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I don't swap many foods, I eat what I was eating before, just less of it. Or less of that type of thing. I switched mince from frozen to fresh and from normal to extra lean, that's the biggest change really. I switch chocolate bars and crisps for lower calorie options, if that counts? I don't eat certain foods so often - cheese and pizza are the biggest ones.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just today i discovered that i don't mind replacing the mayo in my egg salad with sour cream. I am going to try it with tuna next. I've never really cared for mayo so this was a nice trade up for me. Some other time i might try greek yogurt but i'm afraid it might be too tangy.

Ages ago i swapped oil in cakes for homemade unsweetened applesauce. This year i canned 2 bushels of apples and make about 60 pints of applesauce plus 6 quarts for $40. That saves me calories and cash.
  • bloodlett
    bloodlett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk --> chocolate almond milk
    chocolate milk shake --> chocolate almond milk with fresh fruit and a frozen banana in my ninja blender B)