Hello from a Kansas NEWBIE!!

Options
Hey everyone, I'm Naomi and I'm attempting to lose 30 lbs. In the last 4 years I've had 7 major surgeries that have left me broken and left to do nothing but recover. Since my last surgery was an ACL reconstruction on my knee which was shortly after a disc replacement including a bone graft and a titanium cage put in (I've also had that same surgery in my lower back - I was lucky enough to be diagnosed with degenerative disc disease when I was 18 when I had my very first spinal surgery) so I haven't had much to do these last 5 years except recover, then go under the knife again, and recover again, and so on. So, after gaining 65 pounds, I decided in March of this year that I was going to lose weight. I've managed to lose 35 lbs so far over the last 6.5 months which I feel really good about, but now I've plateaued. So I have started walking at least 4 miles a day on my treadmill, making sure I spend at least an hour a day keeping my house clean and use my phone as a pedometer to help me see how many calories I'm burning each day. My sister has started a new ketogenic diet within the last 3 months and has lost 19 lbs so far! That got me excited, so she talked me into joining MyFitnessPal and trying her diet. I'm really hopeful about keeping track of literally every calorie I put into my body as well as every calorie burned from my regular exercise. It's very encouraging to be able to watch the progress and stay motivated. I've started a blog and plan on updating it every week, hopefully being able to state that I've lost at least a pound each week. I want to do this the right way and stop the yo-yo dieting that only makes losing weight more difficult. So "HI" to everyone at MyFitnessPal and I look forward to being a part of this awesome community!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    HI! How are you, how is Kansas I've never been there! Is it a big state? Big as Texass?
  • kasney
    kasney Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello back at ya from Kansas as well!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm fram Californiah! HI from cali!
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    MFP is an awesome community! Sounds like your body has been through the wringer...I bet you will feel amazing as you get stronger. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • buckinghnt
    buckinghnt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    HI! How are you, how is Kansas I've never been there! Is it a big state? Big as Texass?

Hey there! Kansas is a bigger state - with bigger people... I'm excited to join this community and give/get encouragement with this weight loss and any help I can get with the health issues I'm dealing with. Glad to be here!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    kasney wrote: »
    Hello back at ya from Kansas as well!

Hey there kasney! Glad to hear from another Kansan!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    MFP is an awesome community! Sounds like your body has been through the wringer...I bet you will feel amazing as you get stronger. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)

Hi Klangleydoula! Yes, I'm 39 with the insides of a 90 year old lady. Getting back into shape is pretty slow moving and painful but the more I do it the easier it gets... SLOWLY. Good days and bad ones too. One outweighs the other, but I'm not on here to be a Debbie Downer - It's all about moving forward!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    I'm fram Californiah! HI from cali!

Thanks for the warm welcome MyChocolateDiet!
  • alecdlewis1
    alecdlewis1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow Kansan....There seem to be so few of us here...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

I'm not from Kansas, but I've been there a lot of times... I live in SW Iowa, near MO and NE. I make it to Kansas pretty regularly, most often to visit REI in Overland Park. My favorite place in the state is the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve - I've hiked with the bison under a full moon (that is exciting!).
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    hey from London! I was in Kansas a couple of years ago when my kid brother married a Kansas girl - we had a fantastic week there, the locals were incredibly friendly and made us brits very welcome :)

(I'm not planning on visiting in winter though - sounds pretty cold!!!)
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was born in Doodah and grew up in Dodge. Live in Colorado now. Add me if you want to.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Hi from your Missouri neighbor! I'm also trying to lose 30 pounds. Feel free to add me. I'm an active poster!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    I was born in Doodah and grew up in Dodge. Live in Colorado now. Add me if you want to.

I'm also from Wichita. Nice to see some fellow Kansans on MFP.

buckinghnt, where in Kansas are you?

• buckinghnt
    Options
    Hey @alecdlewis, I'm noticing there are more people than I thought that know about us here in the midwest! Nice to meet you!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    Hey there @midwesterner85 - Not a whole lot to see in KS but a lot of pretty great people here! Nice to meet you!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    Hi @mikes99mail - Glad that Kansas treated you right! We're good people, most of us anyway.. lol Nice to meet you!
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    Hey there @grantwashere - I love CO - I'd gladly trade places with you, lol. Lawrence, KS is where I live and it's one of the best places in the state to live. It's not a bunch of farm land, but a super fun, mellow and eclectic college town. A lot of people choose to move here because it's in one of the only blue counties in the state and of course - KU... Home of the Kansas Jayhawks! Nice to meet you!
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't live there but I fell in love with Kansas when someone introduced me to Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe.
  • buckinghnt
    Options
    Hello @yayamom3 - I actually grew up in Lawrence (where I live now) but in 1998 I moved to KC, MO and lived there until June of last year. I consider MO my second home :) Nice to meet you!