What's your opinion on Vaping? Healthy or not?

Options
OhQueSeraSera
OhQueSeraSera Posts: 487 Member
I quit smoking some time ago now and my husband quit too but he uses vaping now instead.. I do not think it's healthy breathing anything into your lungs, i won't allow it in the car when the kids are in, it irritates my chest and throat so i don't trust it... plus the juice/oils stink, the noise drives me insane (that could be just me i hate munching and slurping too :P ).. I really hate it.. reminds me of old men sitting round sucking on pipes.. I don't tell my hubby what to do, but he does it more because I don't like it :(

Replies

• cherryblossombabe
    cherryblossombabe Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My sister has gave up smoking 2 weeks ago and went and bought herself a vaping ecig. She said it's great but I think I agree with you here.. I just don't see the point in giving up smoking to start using a device that you are still inhaling 'vapour' into your lungs? If your gonna quit then do it like us and don't use anything just quit.
    I can't say if it's better or worse because I haven't looked into it that much.. Hopefully someone can comment on that
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Nicotine constricts blood vessels and raises blood pressure. I quit smoking over two years ago, and it sucked *kitten*, but it was three days... I guess vaping is better than smoking tobacco, but IMHO, quitting entirely is what's best.
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost 5 years ago. It was not easy but I have not had a cigarette since the day I quit. I'm not going to judge anyone --we each are different -- but it seems to me that using an e-cig is like still having the habit of having to have something in your hands that you then put in your mouth. Lesser evil than nicotine but I would be afraid that for me it would have led me back to just smoking the real thing.
  • txnow333
    txnow333 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I vape and did extensive research before starting. There is so much misunderstanding what vaping is. This is what I learned from reputable, credible sources. This post will be long to try and explain what I learned, so I apologize in advance.

Vaping is not smoking. Yes, it can be a huge help to those trying to quit smoking, but there is no smoke or combustion involved. The vapor is largely water vapor as the coil (@ the size of a grain of rice or a lentil) heats the PG/VG and the vaper inhales the vapor and flavor. You start at a higher nicotine level and then step down, just as with the patch and gum. Where it helps many, many smokers to quit is that it also addresses the psychological addiction and physical pleasure smoking has, without all the carcinogens and thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes. Some people can quit cold turkey (I did over 20 years ago). Some have trouble doing so -- they may be under stress, and some people just have more addictive personalities. It's easy to say, just quit. Many of us were able to do so. Many have trouble. So many people die from smoking related causes, I think anything we can do to help love ones quit is an act of love.

E-juice (what's used in vaping) has just a few components -- propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), nicotine (optional) and flavoring. The PG is pharmaceutical grade, often kosher, and is used in numerous food and pharmaceutical applications. It is used in some inhalers used by those with asthma and allergies. It is used in cough medicines, in some injectables, etc.

It has been said that propylene glycol is used in anti-freeze, and that can't be good. Yes, propylene glycol is considered an anti-freeze because it lowers the melting point of ice. So does salt. Most anti-freeze uses ethylene glycol, which most definitely is poisonous. However, when there is the potential for anti-freeze to come in contact with food or water supplies, then propylene glycol is sometimes used -- because it's not toxic. Some anti-freeze also contains water. That's also non-poisonous (usually). <g>

Propylene glycol is used in many foods because of another of its properties -- it is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs and retains water. That's why it's used in baking mixes, to keep them from drying out. That's also why new vapers will get dry mouth. The solution is just to drink more water, which is a good thing.

Propylene glycol can be a by-product of bio-fuel (aka used cooking oil). That PG is crude in form. It can be refined, but the process is expensive so that propylene glycol is used in other ways. The USP grade PG used in vaping is produced specifically for use in food and medicines and the purity level is 99.5% or greater, the remainder being water. It is thought to be antimicrobial and is sometimes used in the ventilation systems of some hotels and hospitals as its water-absorbing properties create an environmental not conducive to some molds, bacteria. (Google propylene glycol and Legionnaire's Disease and Mir space station.)
    PG has been tested extensively for many years and is considered safe both here and in the European Union.

Vegetable glycerin (VG) has similar properties but is thicker and is used by those who prefer it because it is produced from vegetable oils, can be kosher, and is preferred by those who may be sensitive to the PG. Both are often used because the PG is thinner, wicks better, and is better at carrying flavor. VG is used for reasons stated above, and also it produces more vapor. Most e-juice is a mixture of both.

As for nicotine, yes, it constricts blood vessels. So does caffeine. Used in moderation, nicotine is no more addictive than caffeine. If you drink too much coffee, it will have the same physiological effects as too much nicotine. Most e-juice can be obtained in varying levels of nicotine. Higher levels are for those trying to wean themselves off cigarettes, then they gradually level off. Some will then quit vaping. Some find it enjoyable and continue but at lower levels. It's like cutting back on coffee, but not going to decaf. As you may have read, there are actually some health benefits to caffeine in moderation -- alertness, memory retention among others. There has been recent research into using nicotine in similar ways (apart from smoking), as it has been found to have benefits for those with memory impairment. Google nicotine and Alzheimer's. Many (myself included) prefer ultra light or zero nicotine.

Then there are the flavorings. Yes, some contain natural and artificial flavors. Some are organic and only use natural flavorings. They are a bit more expensive, but the option is there for those who prefer that.

So, why vape if you're not a smoker? I do because I find it a relaxing and quite enjoyable alternative to snacking. I now work from home and the temptation to snack is great. When I take a break, instead of eating something I know I shouldn't, I have a nice cup of tea and vape a bit. I prefer fruity flavors (watermelon, blueberry, strawberry, caramel apple and many more) but also butterscotch, cinnamon roll, tea/lemonade mix, and most anything else you can think of. I have lots on my wish list and will probably try the mimosa and Irish coffee for the holidays <G>.

Vaping is NOT a diet aid and I do not mean to imply in any way that it is. For me, it is an alternative to snacking. I'm relatively new to vaping, so can't speak to any weight loss results, but if I'm snacking less, it can only help (IMO). The PG and VG are technically sugar alcohols similar to what is in diabetic candies. I do not have diabetes, but do check my blood glucose levels and have found no increase in glucose levels both while vaping and overall. YMMV.

As for the noisy vaping husband, that's called gurgling and is a common complaint among vapers. Search Google and YouTube for vaping and gurgling and you'll find sources for solutions. It's easily fixable.

What is called an e-cigarette is more accurately and functionally a mini nebulizer pen, except that instead of delivering medication, it delivers flavor. This post has gone on for far too long, but I tend to not know when to stop <g>. For those who would like more information for themselves or a loved one who is trying to quit smoking, Google e-cigarette forum. There are over 200,000 members (and many more guests) who are very knowledgeable on the subject.

If anyone would like additional information (or just to debate <g>) feel free to message me. I'm off my soapbox for now. Sorry if I offended anyone.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree, Vaping is a bad idea. I quit cold turkey after 25 years using whyquit.com.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My BF of 23 years tried to quit smoking for many, many years and could not do it no matter how much he wanted to or what method he used. He discovered vaping and purchased a high quality device. He has now been smoke free for 16 months. It is the best thing that has ever happened.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Now, how could it be healthy?
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    tend to agree with the general consensus that, yes its way better than smoking, but not as good as not inhaling anything man made
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There was a news story about this on NPR the other day - the gist was that although vaping releases less formaldehyde into the lungs than traditional cigarettes do, the particles are much smaller and so they reach and get trapped in your alveoli. Formaldehyde is suspected of being carcinogenic, but there's not enough data yet to prove it. The scientists interviewed basically said that it's too soon to know what the health risks of vaping are since it's so new. We'll have better data in 20 years when (ok, if) people have started to die from it ;) I wouldn't let your kids or yourself near the vapors.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Do I CARE if you do it, no. Healthy though? You are inhaling an artificial concoction of chemicals, no matter if the are natural or not. Air is all the lungs were ever meant to take in.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Finally, a well-informed post that isn't just a "yay" or "nay". Hat's off to you, good lady (and from a non-smoker)!
    txnow333 wrote: »
    I vape and did extensive research before starting. There is so much misunderstanding what vaping is. This is what I learned from reputable, credible sources. This post will be long to try and explain what I learned, so I apologize in advance.

Vaping is not smoking. Yes, it can be a huge help to those trying to quit smoking, but there is no smoke or combustion involved. The vapor is largely water vapor as the coil (@ the size of a grain of rice or a lentil) heats the PG/VG and the vaper inhales the vapor and flavor. You start at a higher nicotine level and then step down, just as with the patch and gum. Where it helps many, many smokers to quit is that it also addresses the psychological addiction and physical pleasure smoking has, without all the carcinogens and thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes. Some people can quit cold turkey (I did over 20 years ago). Some have trouble doing so -- they may be under stress, and some people just have more addictive personalities. It's easy to say, just quit. Many of us were able to do so. Many have trouble. So many people die from smoking related causes, I think anything we can do to help love ones quit is an act of love.

E-juice (what's used in vaping) has just a few components -- propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), nicotine (optional) and flavoring. The PG is pharmaceutical grade, often kosher, and is used in numerous food and pharmaceutical applications. It is used in some inhalers used by those with asthma and allergies. It is used in cough medicines, in some injectables, etc.

It has been said that propylene glycol is used in anti-freeze, and that can't be good. Yes, propylene glycol is considered an anti-freeze because it lowers the melting point of ice. So does salt. Most anti-freeze uses ethylene glycol, which most definitely is poisonous. However, when there is the potential for anti-freeze to come in contact with food or water supplies, then propylene glycol is sometimes used -- because it's not toxic. Some anti-freeze also contains water. That's also non-poisonous (usually). <g>

Propylene glycol is used in many foods because of another of its properties -- it is hygroscopic. That means it absorbs and retains water. That's why it's used in baking mixes, to keep them from drying out. That's also why new vapers will get dry mouth. The solution is just to drink more water, which is a good thing.

Propylene glycol can be a by-product of bio-fuel (aka used cooking oil). That PG is crude in form. It can be refined, but the process is expensive so that propylene glycol is used in other ways. The USP grade PG used in vaping is produced specifically for use in food and medicines and the purity level is 99.5% or greater, the remainder being water. It is thought to be antimicrobial and is sometimes used in the ventilation systems of some hotels and hospitals as its water-absorbing properties create an environmental not conducive to some molds, bacteria. (Google propylene glycol and Legionnaire's Disease and Mir space station.)
    PG has been tested extensively for many years and is considered safe both here and in the European Union.

Vegetable glycerin (VG) has similar properties but is thicker and is used by those who prefer it because it is produced from vegetable oils, can be kosher, and is preferred by those who may be sensitive to the PG. Both are often used because the PG is thinner, wicks better, and is better at carrying flavor. VG is used for reasons stated above, and also it produces more vapor. Most e-juice is a mixture of both.

As for nicotine, yes, it constricts blood vessels. So does caffeine. Used in moderation, nicotine is no more addictive than caffeine. If you drink too much coffee, it will have the same physiological effects as too much nicotine. Most e-juice can be obtained in varying levels of nicotine. Higher levels are for those trying to wean themselves off cigarettes, then they gradually level off. Some will then quit vaping. Some find it enjoyable and continue but at lower levels. It's like cutting back on coffee, but not going to decaf. As you may have read, there are actually some health benefits to caffeine in moderation -- alertness, memory retention among others. There has been recent research into using nicotine in similar ways (apart from smoking), as it has been found to have benefits for those with memory impairment. Google nicotine and Alzheimer's. Many (myself included) prefer ultra light or zero nicotine.

Then there are the flavorings. Yes, some contain natural and artificial flavors. Some are organic and only use natural flavorings. They are a bit more expensive, but the option is there for those who prefer that.

So, why vape if you're not a smoker? I do because I find it a relaxing and quite enjoyable alternative to snacking. I now work from home and the temptation to snack is great. When I take a break, instead of eating something I know I shouldn't, I have a nice cup of tea and vape a bit. I prefer fruity flavors (watermelon, blueberry, strawberry, caramel apple and many more) but also butterscotch, cinnamon roll, tea/lemonade mix, and most anything else you can think of. I have lots on my wish list and will probably try the mimosa and Irish coffee for the holidays <G>.

Vaping is NOT a diet aid and I do not mean to imply in any way that it is. For me, it is an alternative to snacking. I'm relatively new to vaping, so can't speak to any weight loss results, but if I'm snacking less, it can only help (IMO). The PG and VG are technically sugar alcohols similar to what is in diabetic candies. I do not have diabetes, but do check my blood glucose levels and have found no increase in glucose levels both while vaping and overall. YMMV.

As for the noisy vaping husband, that's called gurgling and is a common complaint among vapers. Search Google and YouTube for vaping and gurgling and you'll find sources for solutions. It's easily fixable.

What is called an e-cigarette is more accurately and functionally a mini nebulizer pen, except that instead of delivering medication, it delivers flavor. This post has gone on for far too long, but I tend to not know when to stop <g>. For those who would like more information for themselves or a loved one who is trying to quit smoking, Google e-cigarette forum. There are over 200,000 members (and many more guests) who are very knowledgeable on the subject.

If anyone would like additional information (or just to debate <g>) feel free to message me. I'm off my soapbox for now. Sorry if I offended anyone.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Do I CARE if you do it, no. Healthy though? You are inhaling an artificial concoction of chemicals, no matter if the are natural or not. Air is all the lungs were ever meant to take in.

which is why we have no way of dealing with any airborne gases our body doesn't use or suspended particles of various sizes....

• emilyasdf
    emilyasdf Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't like it either. I think smoking anything is bad for you and I've never really seen anybody quit smoking using a vape. They just switch their nicotine addiction over from cigarettes to vapes. I was a pack a day smoker and quit 2.5 years ago cold turkey and thankfully vapes weren't really a thing yet. I'm grateful I don't have the addictive need to consume nicotine in any form. Congrats on quitting.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    which is why we have no way of dealing with any airborne gases our body doesn't use or suspended particles of various sizes....

heart-fart-cartoon.jpg

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used the e-cig to help me quit smoking...it is most certainly a better alternative than cigarettes...I wouldn't go so far as to call it "healthy" though. When something is "healthy", the general consensus is that pretty much everybody should be doing it because of the benefits...that's not really the case with vaping now is it.

Like I said...viable and better alternative to cigarettes...you betcha! "Healthy"...wouldn't take it even remotely close to that far.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    SuninVirgo wrote: »
    I agree, Vaping is a bad idea. I quit cold turkey after 25 years using whyquit.com.
    If it weren't for vaping, I'd still be smoking 2-3 PAD. Instead, I'm smoke free and also vapor free...not everyone can just do cold turkey there sparky.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    emilyasdf wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't like it either. I think smoking anything is bad for you and I've never really seen anybody quit smoking using a vape. They just switch their nicotine addiction over from cigarettes to vapes. I was a pack a day smoker and quit 2.5 years ago cold turkey and thankfully vapes weren't really a thing yet. I'm grateful I don't have the addictive need to consume nicotine in any form. Congrats on quitting.

Well then allow me to introduce myself...

Smoke free 2 years +...vapor free for 1.5 years. It really depends on how you intend to use it...my intention all along was to use it to get off the cigarettes and then ultimately quit vaping.

I actually know a lot of people who quit using a vaporizer and now do neither...and I know quite a few others who never had any intention of quitting altogether...they just vape instead of smoke to reduce their risk.

It just depends on what the individual is wanting to do...blanket statements that it doesn't work for quitting are ridiculous.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's just as bad as smoking (For me, I don't just consider health reasons). I hope he's not kidding himself into thinking he's quit and that he isn't hurting you and your children by smoking it near you. The reason I posted? Honestly, it's pretty messed up that he does it more specifically because you don't like it. A husband (or wife if it were reversed) should not disrespect their partner that way.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    It's just as bad as smoking. I hope he's not kidding himself into thinking he's quit and that he isn't hurting you and your children by smoking it near you. Honestly, it's pretty messed up that he does it more specifically because you don't like it. A husband (or wife if it were reversed) should not disrespect their partner that way.

Really...do tell...