Weight lifting Questions

Options
What is the purpose for waiting 60-120 seconds for recovery in between sets when weight lifting?
Is it ok to only wait 30 seconds?
Is it ok to do a different lift with a different muscle group versus waiting during the recovery?

I am working on fat loss with maintaining muscle strength. So is it more important to lift in the high rep range (12-15) or is it ok to lift in the (10-12) range? I usually do 2 sets of each.
My routine is total body on Mondays and Thursday, then I do cardio Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
If you have a great resource to read or look to, I'm game. I get so confused by all the conflicting information out there. I have a hard time figuring out what the crappy info is.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I found that reading through the A Workout Routine website helped me out with some of these questions. It's a bit lengthy but I still go back and refer to it from time to time.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The reason for the rest is to let the CNS reset and recover. Compound lifts and high weights take more of a toll so need a longer rest.

When maintaining muscle while losing I believe the most efficient use of time is a strength based compound movement centered full body workout. This is lower reps higher weight full body lifts that can be done in 40-60 mi. Every other day.

Strong lifts 5x5 has a free program and a tracking app that is good for starting out, and also will grow with your needs for a while to come.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are no rules. There is no rule on how long to wait between reps. There are no rules on rep ranges. Regardless of what anyone thinks, I tend to steer everyone toward heavy weight, low reps. It does wonders for fat loss, muscle building or retention, and makes people feel great. High reps are ok too, but that a different thing, more in the body building range. Get lean and strong with heavy weight and low reps. Most women want that, they just don't realize it. Try Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great programs to get you started and will answer all of your questions.
    Exactly this. I start at a new weight I can only lift 4 or 5 times. I do that for 4 sets. Every session I keep at it until I can lift that weight, with perfect form, for 8 reps and 4 sets. Once I reach that point, I increase weight and start over again. I have a lifting partner and we take turns. That creates a rest period for me by default.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The reason for the rest is to let the CNS reset and recover. Compound lifts and high weights take more of a toll so need a longer rest.

When maintaining muscle while losing I believe the most efficient use of time is a strength based compound movement centered full body workout. This is lower reps higher weight full body lifts that can be done in 40-60 mi. Every other day.

Strong lifts 5x5 has a free program and a tracking app that is good for starting out, and also will grow with your needs for a while to come.
    This. And to add couple more programs: Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting are all great!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dangie2002 wrote: »
    What is the purpose for waiting 60-120 seconds for recovery in between sets when weight lifting?
    Is it ok to only wait 30 seconds?
    Is it ok to do a different lift with a different muscle group versus waiting during the recovery?
    1. It's to recover between work sets.
    2. Yes, it's ok, but your ability to work at a high level of effort during the work set may be impacted.
    3. Yes, in general that's what you're doing when you're super setting. During my session with my coach yesterday, I was doing heavy bench, then for a rest break I was doing sets of pushups, and then some russian twists. Once those were done, back to the bench pressing. Sometimes, I'll do lat raises and delt raises in between sets of bench pressing. It's a good way to increase work volume.

As for rep ranges, I work in super low reps, doing 1 or 2 or 3 reps in a set. Sometimes I'll do sets of 10, or 15. Other times I'll go as high as 40 or 50 reps in a set. It depends on your goals. 10-15 or so is generally specifically for hypertrophy, which if your goal is muscle preservation while losing weight, this is probably an excellent range for you.

There's a lot of crappy info out there, and a lot of crappy info on this forum. There are some beginner's routines that are suggest a lot, I know the first two personally, have no experience with the last one.
    1. Starting Strength
    2. Stronglifts
    3. New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for Women

The third one, I'm not a fan of the idea of "lifting for women", it's lifting. Gender isn't relevant in the lifts and exercises done. Anyway, look into any of those, and you'll find good info.

ETA - I would also suggest that if you're doing 6 days of work. Do 3 days of lifting, 3 days of cardio.
  • MegzC321
    MegzC321 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I only wait 30 seconds, it can almost count as cardio... So I have read...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

The reason for the rest is to help restore ATP stores. Recovering your CNS will come from rest & nutrition.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

The reason for the rest is to help restore ATP stores. Recovering your CNS will come from rest & nutrition.

I learned something new. So this means if you don't rest long enough your muscles literally don't have the ability to move energy from one cell to another.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    it depends on your goals. i lift heavy and when i'm in my heavy zone, i can rest up to 3 , 4, 5 or more minutes between lifts, to replenish whatever it is in my muscles that powers them. After a while you'll get to know your body and know how much rest you need between sets. If you start your next set too soon, you wont make it through your next set efficiently. If you wait too long, you're just wasting time, which is fine if you like hanging out at the gym bs-ing with other weight lifters between sets.
  • dbmata
    Options

I learned something new. So this means if you don't rest long enough your muscles literally don't have the ability to move energy from one cell to another.
    No, that's not exactly it, but depleting ATP changes it, and it takes time to change it back to ATP... it slows down function, but won't arrest.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

No, that's not exactly it, but depleting ATP changes it, and it takes time to change it back to ATP... it slows down function, but won't arrest.

I'm curious what causes the involuntary twitching after a hard workout?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Gremlins. Or a goat. Definitely a goat.

Honestly, I have no clue. It's funny though, or those massive leg trembles when you're at or near max load in a deadlift, and everything is just shakin' and quaking.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Honestly, I have no clue. It's funny though, or those massive leg trembles when you're at or near max load in a deadlift, and everything is just shakin' and quaking.
    I might be wrong about this, but isn't that due to an electrolyte imbalance? Either sodium or potassium is out of whack.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are no rules. There is no rule on how long to wait between reps. There are no rules on rep ranges. Regardless of what anyone thinks, I tend to steer everyone toward heavy weight, low reps. It does wonders for fat loss, muscle building or retention, and makes people feel great. High reps are ok too, but that a different thing, more in the body building range. Get lean and strong with heavy weight and low reps. Most women want that, they just don't realize it. Try Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Great programs to get you started and will answer all of your questions.

This. Heavy weight, if you're wondering what that means, is a weight where you can't do more than 6 reps with PERFECT form.

Don't buy into the urban legend you'll get bulky. Nothing could be further from the truth, women don't have enough natural testosterone to pack on muscle.

As far as rest goes, for my "heavy" days and with the big compound movements (eg: squats, deadlifts, etc) I usually rest about 90-120 secs just to get my heart rate down and catch my breath.

good luck.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

I might be wrong about this, but isn't that due to an electrolyte imbalance? Either sodium or potassium is out of whack.

I like the theory... May have to experiment and see if it happens less with a sports drink or not.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Could be. I don't do water when I work out. Every 16oz has two nuun tabs, because I'm pretty sensitive to electrolytic imbalance.
  • civilizedworm
    Options

I like the theory... May have to experiment and see if it happens less with a sports drink or not.
    Eat a banana before you head in - they are great sources of potassium.

Save the pricey sports drink for a hang over. :wink:
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Could be. I don't do water when I work out. Every 16oz has two nuun tabs, because I'm pretty sensitive to electrolytic imbalance.
    No water?

*** mind blown **
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

Eat a banana before you head in - they are great sources of potassium.

Save the pricey sports drink for a hang over. :wink:

Of it's just an overall thing I take potassium and magnesium daily.