doctors scale & regular scale

Options
ok so last month i weighed myself on the scale at home and had to go to the doctors and they were about the same. about 148. over this month ive been dieting and exercising and weighed myself every week, losing about a pound a week, now being at 144. when i went for a doctors visit yesterday, it says i havent lost a single pound even though my waist has gone down an inch and a half? having doubts..

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Why are you having doubts? I would go by measurements and not the scale. Also depending on where you are, it's the winter time which means heavier clothing. The scale fluctuates by clothing weight, water weight, etc. Just keep working hard and you'll keep shedding those inches and pounds. Great job so far!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't concern myself with the difference between my scale and the scale at my doctor's office because your weight is never consistent on one scale let alone two.
  • momonay96
    momonay96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    well in florida we really dont have a winter lol so i doubt a jacket and pants weigh 4 pounds haha. just thought wtf is goin on and i couldnt believe it haha
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My weight is always higher at the doctor because when I'm at home I weigh myself once I wake up and have used the bathroom and I'm naked. When I get weighed at the doctors I have clothes on and I've had drinks and food beforehand so it's going to be a few pounds difference.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Did you eat before going to the doctor? Honestly, I'd pick a scale and stick to it. Relative trends are all that matter.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    momonay96 wrote: »
    well in florida we really dont have a winter lol so i doubt a jacket and pants weigh 4 pounds haha. just thought wtf is goin on and i couldnt believe it haha

Have you ever weighed a jacket and pair of pants? Try it and see!
  • momonay96
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Did you eat before going to the doctor?

just an apple and a banana. i weighed myself this morning again and i now weigh 143. i see the abs coming in from T25. just thought it was wrong to see the doctor put down a different weight for me because of their scale lol

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale, pick one time of the day, pick one day of the week. Be consistent.
  • demarii06
    demarii06 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    a jacket and pants can definitely be four pounds that's why I always weigh naked and at the same time every day for my results are consistent. I don't think you've gained any weight just a natural fluctuation
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh less at home. My weight fluctuates some
  • momonay96
    Options
    thanks for the help guys!
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For a little humor, I weighed myself at home as I normally do, right away in the morning before eating, and in my pj shirt and shorts. Then I added all my normal winter gear (long pants, socks, t-shirt, sweatshirt, coat, hat, gloves, scarf - skipped shoes/boots), and the scale when up about 7 1/2 pounds...
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the doctor's scale my clothes always weigh about 5 lbs, no matter what I'm wearing. Always. ;)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I just shrug it off and tell myself my contacts weigh a pound a piece! :wink:
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Did you eat before going to the doctor? Honestly, I'd pick a scale and stick to it. Relative trends are all that matter.
    ^^This.

I also notice that my weight fluctuates upwards throughout and the day, and goes down again over night. Sometimes I'll wake up early and weigh myself - with disappointing results. Then I go back to sleep for an hour and weigh myself again, this time showing weight loss.

So maybe your first weigh-in was in the morning, and your 2nd weigh-in was somewhat later in the day. And maybe you wore slightly heavier clothes on the 2nd weigh-in. Or you may have retained some water for a few hours just between weighing at home and weighing at the doctor's office. Any of those factors (or others) would account for showing no progress between the 1st & 2nd doctor's office weigh-in.

Don't worry about it. Your measurements are going down, and your home weigh-ins are more controlled anyway. Getting weighed at the doctor's office is just a formality.

If your doctor is giving you crap about not losing weight, just make a copy of your at-home weigh-ins to put in your file. I once did that with my blood pressure. My doctor wasn't seeing any difference just checking it every few months. So I started checking it once a week - same day, same time, same machine - and he found that more useful.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale and one time of day (or the same time on the same day once a week) to weigh yourself. You would be surprised how much your weight can fluctuate throughout the day.

Good luck!
  • missbirrell
    Options
    Stick with the one scale and use that. The situation is different at a doctors' room than your home, you've been moving about, maybe eating, wearing more clothes. My doctors' scale weighed me yesterday about half a stone heavier than my scales - but I'd had a drink, my meds and was wearing clothes and trainers, whereas at home I'd be butt naked, with nothing in my belly.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The other day I hopped on my home scale and saw that I gained 5 pounds from a glass of water, two cups of coffee and some oatmeal. I can see how you'd gain that much. Go with the one you weigh yourself on every morning, and don't stress because you're obviously seeing results. Keep it up!
  • Rodman72
    Options
    I had a few of the regular electronic scales and hated them because they would change and fluctuate just by stepping on and off and on again. Most of the store purchased units have cheap electronics and cheap load cells. You can get industrial quality units but will pay. I ended up buying a dr's scale on Craigslist. I love it since it is consistent, accurate and no parts to go out.

Obviously water, food intake, clothes, time of day fluctuate a lot.