Have you changed your goal weight?

Options
In the beginning, I was over 350lbs and was trying to think of what a good weight for me would be. I'm 5'10" and I knew going back to my HS weight would be an impossibility. I set my original goal to 155lbs. After losing almost 100lbs and talking to a female relative who's my height but not as busty (she's 170lbs), I decided to change my goal to 175lbs. Has anyone else gotten midway through their journey and realized they may have to shift the goalposts a bit?

Replies

• Sameeraaaxx
    Sameeraaaxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh hey,

When I first started my weight loss I was 10 stones 7 pounds. Ideally for my height I should be between 8 and 10 stone. I'm now currently at 9.4.

Initially I only wanted to lose a stone, however now halfway through I feel like I have a lot more to lose.

Thought Id look a lot more different after a 1 stone weightloss howeer that doesn't seem to be the case!

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One lb away from my main personal goal but aiming for 2lb's to enter Onederland. I realized i am 2" shorter than i thought i was so thinking of going 5-10 more lbs.

I am looking forward in implementing more exercise into my life.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Yes. And I think it's a healthy thing to do.
    This is my second go-round with weight loss (lost 90 lbs, maintained, had a baby, now back to lose baby weight). Both times I had to shift the goal-posts a few times. For me it wasn't about comparing myself to anyone else, but trying to find that sweet spot with being comfortable with my new body and feeling good.

The BMI chart will tell us what a healthy range is, but I think it's up to the individual to decide for themselves where their happy place is.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Yes, the closer I get to the first goal weight I set for myself, the more I am thinking about shifting it another 10 lbs.
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes Im at that point. I am 5'7. I was 187 and wanted to get to 150. I have lost 18 lbs to 169. Now I know I want to loose more weight but I'm really focused on replacing the fat with muscle. In doing that I know that I might not get to 150. And it might not be realistic. I recently saw pictures of myself at 135 after my first son...and I know for sure that I dont ever want to be that skinny again no matter what the BMI charts say. I am almost 40 and have had a 4 kiddos. So Im just going to play it by ear.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've changed several times, it kept going down. I'm now where my goals are really more focused on measurements than weight.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've changed my goal weight a couple of times, always lower, as I've achieved it and still didn't really like how my body looked. I'm also a little nervous about maintaining. I have about 4 lbs to go to my next goal, but the plan is to overshoot that by a little bit and then work on a healthy bulk to get back some muscle tone. Even though I am overshooting my goal my BMI will remain in the healthy range.
  • FortWildernessLoopy
    Options
    I was 145 through most of HS, but I started school when I was 4 so high school age for me was 13-17. Definitely not a weight I could get back to. in college, I went up to 185 but again, I think it was a combination of the freshman 15 and the fact I was still growing. I look at pics when I was 185 and I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I can do better. It's just so hard to judge because of all the x factors. I'm 5'10", have a huge chest (thanks, Mom) an overall hourglass figure as I'm pretty evenly proportioned and have a waist, but I'm also "big-boned"...we have an ongoing joke in the family about the women being 'strapping'.

I didn't have a measuring tape when I changed my lifestyle and BMI is good for some things, but I found out trying to get into the military 20 years ago that chesty women have a wee bit of a built in handicap in that area. I am not sure what good measurements would be for me because when I was heavy, I didn't want to know and before that, I never bothered to check (last one I know of was at 18 I was 36-24-34). I figured a general weight would give me a good jumping off point but at this time, I'm in the tall weeds trying to guess. All I can think is my original goal of 155 is much too low.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yes I changed my goal from 133lbs to 120 lbs. I'm only 2lbs from my original goal of 133lbs so it feels natural now to reassess these goals.

I'm 5ft 1 and started at 181lbs April 2013. I'm aiming to shift these last 15lbs by March/April 2015 so taking my time! :)

Anna :)
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I started out with a goal of getting below 200 pounds. When I got close, I was obviously still pretty poochy, so I reset my goal to 184 (the top end of "normal" BMI for my height). Once I got there, although my body fat % is still higher than I'd like, I decided to stop dieting for a while and try to maintain weight while building muscle (weightlifting). Once winter's over (and I'll probably be bored with weightlifting), I decide where to go from there. It's kind of interesting -- I started out just worrying about the number on the scale, and now I'm more interested in body fat % and my improvements in the weight room.

HTH!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and my current goal is 149. I'm at 161 lbs now, so 12 lbs to go to that goal. As I get closer to it, I am thinking of dropping my weight goal to 135-140. I don't think that the 12 lbs I have left to lose would give me the lean, powerful shape that I want. I am considering dropping down to 140 and then doing a clean bulk (weight training while eating at a mild surplus of calories) to gain muscle. I would be happy at 149 with a lower BF% than I currently have. For reference, I have a very hourglass "top heavy" body shape.

At 5'10, 174 lbs + is in the overweight range. I think that it's easy to see a number as "too low" when we've been over it for a long time (you said college). It's easy to see Normal as "too small" when everyone is getting progressively bigger around us. Just a few lbs lower than 175 and you're in the Normal weight range, which, statistically speaking, improves your health outcomes.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I changed my goal weight to align with my desired body fat percentage. I used this calculator, which assumes you (1) somewhat accurately know your body fat percentage and (2) can maintain your current lean body mass (which I'm working on! So far, so good). If I reach my desired BF and don't like it, I'll just set a new goal. The weight goal seem WAY high right now (but hey, more attainable!), so I'm very interested to see what I actually look like when I reach it.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ibw/

It' easy math, you don't really need the calculator (but I'm THAT lazy).
  • FortWildernessLoopy
    Options
    Good point, this is just really hard to assess using calculators and online apps as my body is very...German, lol. Here's a pic of me at 25yrs old around 170lbs...I think:d6m2oljy2ncf.jpg
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few times but mainly as the weight loss felt more manageable if I broke it down into small chunks. Started at 336 so initial target was 200's. then it was 280 to get under 20stone, then 250. At 250 it became about size, i wanted to be able to buy off the peg clothes from the normal high street shops. Now my target is sub 100kg which is 220. After that probably under 200 but I will wait to see where i'm at once I get to 220. I'm already relatively happy with my body but I know I still have weight to lose. With a bit of luck I will start losing it off the legs and bum more than belly now or at least more evenly across the whole body(yes I know you can't spot lose). My chest is down from 54 to 44 but my waist is barely down from 42/44 to 38.
  • winslow44238
    Options
    My doctor has been monitoring my weightloss and I was doing pretty well for a while. It looked like my original goal was going to put me in the right BMI group, but would be harder on my health and she said I would look like a walking skelleton. With all my lab work improving and clothes fitting well, she wanted me to be happy with less weight loss than I was going for, and not get down to a size zero.
    I was also struggling with hitting a wall where I was not able to loose any more weight and we were struggling with other health issues and medicines that were making it difficult to keep my weight down.
    I am starting all over again now. It worked last time, so I don't see why I can't get healthy again this time.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and my current weight is 149. My goal weight was 135 and when I was there last I still wasn't happy with my overall body even though I was a size 4. Currently, I'm holding my weight better than I had previously and am a size 6.

For my current goals, I'm striving for how I look and my BF% and most importantly: looking good naked! So if I weigh more than my goal weight and I'm happy with how I look, how my clothes fit and how I feel naked - that sounds like a great place to stop!

My plan is to incorporate heavy lifting in the New Year with some classes (bootcamp, aerobics) and Insanity for cardio so I can get back down to a size 4 regardless of what my weight is.

Hope that helps and good luck in your journey!
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and recently reached my 130 goal weight but I am planning to go lower in order to help me get to the certain kind of look I want. I'm going to do a slow bulk to build muscle over the winter, so the more fat I lose now, the less I'll have to lose in the spring.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    All the time. I set small goals for myself. So when I reach goal weight, I do a little celebration then set another goal weight. Just did that a few weeks ago actually.
  • ddoerr57
    ddoerr57 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and now at 180 lbs. Many friends recommend that I stop now, but I want to lose another 30 lbs. I went to the doctor, and he told me that weight was not as important as body fat. At my age, he said I should be at 21% body fat, and my goal of 150 lbs was perfect!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7". When I was 194lb, my goal weight was 160lb. I was always good at that weight when younger. Now I am 160lb, I still feel I have way too much fat and am going to lose another 20lb. I am 51 and forgot that I don't have all the muscle I had 20 years ago :(