Walking 20 min. 3 times a day versus walking 60 min all at once

Options
Can walking 20 minutes 3 times a day do a much good as walking 60 minutes all at once?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    yes...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sure.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Of course... it's even better than not walking at all. :smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It was studies supporting the effectiveness of breaking exercise into smaller chunks that led the 10k steps/day movement.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Yes. plus you could work a little harder in your 20 min sessions that you likely would for each 20 min interval during the 60 min run. so there is potentially to burn even more calories.

At that point its a performance choice. In other words, if you want to run a 10 K, then the 60 min runs would make more sense.
  • GRANDMASADIE2
    GRANDMASADIE2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank for the help, I'm on my way for a 20 min. walk (again)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yep. Nthing what has already been said. There are advantages to longer continuous bouts of aerobic exercise if your goal is improving your athletic performance, but in terms of overall heath, 3 x 20 minutes is just as good as 1 x 60 minutes. I hope you had a good walk!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Yes. plus you could work a little harder in your 20 min sessions that you likely would for each 20 min interval during the 60 min run. so there is potentially to burn even more calories.

At that point its a performance choice. In other words, if you want to run a 10 K, then the 60 min runs would make more sense.

This. And it's better to have proper form for most/all of those 20 minutes than it is for you to hobble home injured. You're doing it right!