How to gain weight without losing the Pack

Options
Hi All,

First post on this forum but have been using myfitnesspal for some time and I think it is just amazing. It has definitely helped in my aim of losing fat (plus muscle but I think that was inevitable) and now I have reached my goal of a six pack.

Only problem now is, I do look a little too lean but I don't want to start eating a shed load and piling the fat on but I would like to bulk up somewhat.

Currently calorie counting to maintain weight, performing 2 days of major cardio and 3 days of weight training followed by a small cardio session.

Any tips from anyone on how to keep the pack but put on muscle mass...?

Regards
Jesse

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know. At the end of my last bulk I'd lost mine, but regained after a few months. This bulk, mine was gone on day 2 LOL
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    increase carbs/calories slowwwwwwly! track progress weekly.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Up calories with Carbs/Protien, but keep your fats low
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    increase calories to a .5 pound per week gain …

increase your carbs and proteins as others have suggested..

two days a week of cardio is over kill ..you need to reduce cardio to a minimum.

accept that not matter what you do you are going to gain some fat…but once you have bulked up you can cut back down and get the six pack back ...
  • jesse_jk
    jesse_jk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will try to keep adding calories slowly and reduce the major cardio days

I'm 186 cm and went from 88kg to current weight of 76. So definitely have lost the bulk.

Train is split routine:
    Monday - Chest and Tri's (minor cardio to finish up)
    Tuesday - Abs and Major Cardio
    Wednesday - Leg Day
    Friday - Abs and Major Cardio
    Sat - Back and Biceps (minor cardio to finish up)
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Honestly not worth it. If you bulk "clean" at less than 500+ calories, it will negatively impact your strength & size gains. Building 1lbs of muscle is hard work, losing 1lbs of fat is pretty easy. Don't make the hard part of lifting even harder. Yeah it sucks having a soft belly for a bit :(. You have to focus on the big picture though. You are only bulking for so many weeks, make them count!

You can cut all the fat (and thensome) from a bulk in under 12 weeks. Just don't go crazy and gain unnecessary amounts of fat; Eat between 500-600 cal surplus (that is all the calories you are supposed to eat for BMR, plus eating back all exercise cals, and then adding the extra 500-600 on top).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Probably not happening.

What's your weight, height and weight training like?

2 major cardio days during a bulk isn't a good idea.

this- odds are you're going to lose vascularity and definition- you aren't bulking if you keep all the juice details.

with muscle comes sacrifice- which means some fat gains.

Fat gains from bulk come off quickly- so don't cheat any gains you might potentially get just for vanity- it's usually counterproductive.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Probably not happening.

What's your weight, height and weight training like?

2 major cardio days during a bulk isn't a good idea.

this- odds are you're going to lose vascularity and definition- you aren't bulking if you keep all the juice details.

with muscle comes sacrifice- which means some fat gains.

Fat gains from bulk come off quickly- so don't cheat any gains you might potentially get just for vanity- it's usually counterproductive.

That's where I'm at right now. Trying not to cheat myself (or my seemingly insatiable appetite).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    #thebulkingstruggleisreal
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you can't.

best you can do is avoid junk bulking with hamburgers and crap food in general. than cut again.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    mcspiffy88 wrote: »
    you can't.

best you can do is avoid junk bulking with hamburgers and crap food in general. than cut again.

Why
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Without PED's? Not very likely. Adding mass means needing a surplus however slight it may be. With muscle gain, it's HIGHLY unlikely any fat will be added without it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Although I can't speak from personal experience, my understanding is that if you can keep a small enough surplus, you can build muscle while minimizing fat gains. Depending on your body fat percentage, I would say it's possible to have a small enough fat gain to still have a six pack.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    mcspiffy88 wrote: »
    you can't.

Why

My thoughts exactly. Those sweet, sweet hamburgers...YUM!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You should really think about your priorities. If it's to stay lean then accept the compromises that brings. If the priority is to build muscle mass quickly then accept the compromises that also brings.

Well worth a read:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Although I can't speak from personal experience, my understanding is that if you can keep a small enough surplus, you can build muscle while minimizing fat gains. Depending on your body fat percentage, I would say it's possible to have a small enough fat gain to still have a six pack.

In theory yes if the surplus is small then you could keep some definition but after a while it's likely to fade. It sounds doable but keeping the surplus that small will probably lead first to the individual spinning their wheels and making no gains due to the energy expenditure and intake catching up to each other.

An amusing video for you.

Watch "How To Bulk" on YouTube

How To Bulk: http://youtu.be/AeOh18mWWzg

I was just thinking about this video! Love Dom <3
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't keeping the surplus really small possibly hinder being able to bulk in the first place?
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    Wouldn't keeping the surplus really small possibly hinder being able to bulk in the first place?

I maintained a minimal surplus last bulk and gained 6 lbs (4 lbs LBM) yet I didn't have abs after a couple of weeks. I think any water weight you gain (I'd gained a couple of lbs, but I don't count that because it was flushed away a few days after I went back to maintenance) will obscure your abs, but once you lose that (and have maintained a clean bulk) you'll get them back.