Replies

• feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    green bean casserole!
  • PurdueGuy2001
    PurdueGuy2001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't complete without a childhood favorite called "Spoonbread" (essentially corn casserole).
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What are your must have Thanksgiving Dinner dishes?

Mix 7-8 parts Riesling (or your favorite dry white wine) with 1 part Creme de Cassis (sweet cordial made from black currants).

I mix up batches of it. It's a very subtle-tasting but surprisingly potent drink, and has become my go-to thanksgiving drink.
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cornbread DRESSING - if it's made with cornbread, it is dressing -- not stuffing!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Southern style cornbread dressing! That's a staple in my family. Also a broccoli rice casserole that's a good alternative to mac n cheese. Although, mac n cheese is completely acceptable too. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jolt28 wrote: »
    Cornbread DRESSING - if it's made with cornbread, it is dressing -- not stuffing!

I thought the difference between dressing and stuffing was whether it was cooked in a separate baking dish vs "stuffed" inside the turkey?

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

I thought the difference between dressing and stuffing was whether it was cooked in a separate baking dish vs "stuffed" inside the turkey?

Me too. I've "stuffed" many a batch of cornbread stuffing, and baked it separately too.

• jolt28
    Options

Not from my part of the country lol - I'm in the south and it's cornbread dressing no matter where you put it lol.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Not from my part of the country lol - I'm in the south and it's cornbread dressing no matter where you put it lol.

Well apparently this is why...
    Generally southern states in America call a mixture "dressing" while northern states usually call it "stuffing." The theory is that southern states find the word "stuffing" not genteel enough for their liking.

LOL we always called it dressing but we also cook it in a baking dish, not inside the bird.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »

Me too. I've "stuffed" many a batch of cornbread stuffing, and baked it separately too.
    Me three
  • jolt28
    Options

Well apparently this is why...
    Generally southern states in America call a mixture "dressing" while northern states usually call it "stuffing." The theory is that southern states find the word "stuffing" not genteel enough for their liking.

LOL we always called it dressing but we also cook it in a baking dish, not inside the bird.

Well there ya go! Our lesson for the day thanks :wink:

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    stuffing

ETA:oh i see there's a debate...

separate dish
    california

dressing is what it says on the box but you ignore. it's also what goes on a salad.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    What are your must have Thanksgiving Dinner dishes?

Mix 7-8 parts Riesling (or your favorite dry white wine) with 1 part Creme de Cassis (sweet cordial made from black currants).

I mix up batches of it. It's a very subtle-tasting but surprisingly potent drink, and has become my go-to thanksgiving drink.

^^Sounds wonderful! I will give this a whirl. Riesling is my favorite wine and one we have every Thanksgiving. Thanks for the tip!