"guesstimate of weightlifting cals

Options
indianwin2001
indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Can anyone guesstimate how many calories are burned when lifting. I typically lift 60 minutes a day,usually 1 body part per day(except bi's and tries together) and I do around 18 sets per body part(chest) back and shoulders are more. I lift heavy all days and after warmup start with 5 reps and work myself down to 2 or 3 reps. I weigh 190 and just want you lifters out there to give me an approximate #. I just lost 22 pounds and started maintenance and I can account for all my other exercise except lifting. Thanks

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I always estimate my lifting sessions at 1 calorie. That way I'm not over estimating, even though I know with the way I train, it's FAR MORE than 1 calorie.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Calories burned during lifts is very subjective. The calorie burn for strength training is dependent upon too many variables to even really guess. Here is a link to a study from Harvard Medical School that calculated caloric burn in three men of different weights: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm. However, you really can't use this as a guide because strength training with different muscle groups will produce different caloric burn results. The bigger the muscle group worked, the more calories burned. My recommendation is to not count it at all and think of it as icing on the cake.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I always estimate my lifting sessions at 1 calorie. That way I'm not over estimating, even though I know with the way I train, it's FAR MORE than 1 calorie.

Thats what I do but I would like to get a better idea of what I really burn when I train really hard.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you lift regularly, don't worry about the burn. Find your TDEE and adjust your total calories off that number.
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    If you lift regularly, don't worry about the burn. Find your TDEE and adjust your total calories off that number.

Thats what I do so I guess there is no better way--Thanks
  • indianwin2001
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Calories burned during lifts is very subjective. The calorie burn for strength training is dependent upon too many variables to even really guess. Here is a link to a study from Harvard Medical School that calculated caloric burn in three men of different weights: http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities.htm. However, you really can't use this as a guide because strength training with different muscle groups will produce different caloric burn results. The bigger the muscle group worked, the more calories burned. My recommendation is to not count it at all and think of it as icing on the cake.

Thanks--I like "icing"--I just thought I'd give it a try but I guess it is too subjective
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use MFP's numbers. Comes to about 100 calories per half hour for me.

tumblr_n4kc2ffJui1txb8sho1_500.gif
  • dbmata
    Options

Thats what I do but I would like to get a better idea of what I really burn when I train really hard.

There's no reasonable method to determine that in a non-performance lab setting.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

What if you are overestimating though. :|
  • dbmata
    Options
    you're welcome to join me. I've already broken one partner. ;)
  • indianwin2001
    Options

Thanks for all your input.I'll continue to use 1 cal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Thats what I do so I guess there is no better way--Thanks

Yeah...it's hugely variable...it's not like running or something where there's a formula for going X miles per hour and whatever your stats are...there are too many variables to anaerobic training to even fathom a guess.
  • indianwin2001
    Options

Thanks Wolf
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i don't ever count lifting calories.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    2 sets lasting 45 seconds each burns around 5g of carb or 20 cals... would make around 100 to 150 cals per workout depending on your warm up etc