restaurant and fast-food salads with more calories than a big mac and large fries.

Options
numinousnymph
numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Just gonna leave this here. Figured it's worth sharing, even though I'm sure we all know restaurant salads are wolves in sheeps' clothing... some of the numbers on these are just staggering.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/unhealthy-salads

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    That's why calorie counting helps! ..so you know how much you're eating.

They are tasty though, just like anything. Just gotta make em fit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I worked out the calories in a Chicken Caesar salad at a place I used to work, it was double the calories of the chicken parma with chips.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That's why calorie counting helps! ..so you know how much you're eating.

They are tasty though, just like anything. Just gotta make em fit.

for some people making some of these fit means having the one salad for the whole day!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Well...most of these are either topped with fried foods or tons of cheese....not to mention, I'm sure they use full fat dressings...not that there's anything wrong with that, but most people in the know already know to get dressings on the side because they give you a *kitten* ton of dressing.

I'd personally never order a salad topped with fried food and oozing cheese and think I'm being "healthy"...but I do regularly eat salads in the 800 - 1000 calorie range. Calories aren't necessarily indicative of whether something is nutritious or not.
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If I ever get a salad from any restaurant, it is Arby's Farmhouse turkey salad. It's 210 calories (including bacon), lite Italian dressing (20 calories), and I can get a side of potato cakes (I only eat 1 at 115 calories). Then I get a sugar free green tea. Perfect for lunch or dinner. And its only 345 calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I swear to god I got fat eating salad. I thought, it's salad-I can put whatever on it. When I started using this site I was like...oh, poop.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So true! Nowadays, I only order a salad if I can ask for the dressing and toppings to be put on the side. Ignorance is bliss, and I wish I never found out, growing up, that a potato/pasta salad is actually more starchy carbs than vegetables. :'(
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The salads I make at home are 600-800 calories of delcious. I think they're better than a burger and more nutritious so meh
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My favorite fast food salad is the Chick-fil-A Asian salad. I only use half the dressing, and skip the other toppings. Lots of protein, the chicken is fried so it tastes like a splurge, and a big bowl of veggies. About 400 calories. One of these days, I'll order it with grilled chicken and see how that tastes.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Its why I always go for the Pizza instead
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Asian Cashew Chicken Salad full size including the light dressing is just 380 calories. It's delicious and filling.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Annnnd that is why I research nutrition information before I go out to eat. So I can choose the best food and not choose a salad and realize it had more calories then the burger I actually wanted.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Love the one that's 1560 calories without dressing!

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I swear to god I got fat eating salad. I thought, it's salad-I can put whatever on it. When I started using this site I was like...oh, poop.

I know right? I'd go and have all you can eat salad (healthy and helps with weight loss, right?) But of course not! Not with the amount of toppings and ranch dressing I used to drown it in. Lol!! I miss drowning my salads. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So true! Nowadays, I only order a salad if I can ask for the dressing and toppings to be put on the side. Ignorance is bliss, and I wish I never found out, growing up, that a potato/pasta salad is actually more starchy carbs than vegetables. :'(

Well, you'll be happy to know then that starchy carbs aren't the devil or anything and you can go on enjoying potato and pasta salads...
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Well, you'll be happy to know then that starchy carbs aren't the devil or anything and you can go on enjoying potato and pasta salads...

I totally agree! I've always been a firm believer of eating all things in moderation. I used to make potato and pasta salads for social gatherings when I was younger, thinking I was contributing a "healthy" alternative to the pot luck, but a lot of people who were carb conscious told me that just because it's called a salad, doesn't mean it's healthy. So what do I do differently nowadays when people ask if I can bring salads? Absolutely nothing. I still bring potato and pasta salads, and incur the wrath of many. So yeah. Moderation to me is key, but it's just sad that many people don't feel the same way. Kinda sad to enjoy a big bowl of potato salad all on my own, when I enjoy feeding others too.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I tend to just eat 1/3 or 1/2 of the salad I choose at a restaurant. Tonight I'm getting one from the Texas Roadhouse that's nearly 800 calories and has a ton of fat, but eating half of it brings me down to a reasonable amount of fat and cals so I can fit it into the rest of my day.

I don't like to shy away from items based on their nutritional info. I just try to be smart, and eat a reasonable portion of what comes to the table. Not to mention, restaurant portions tend to have 2-3 servings on a plate. No need to clear your plate!
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    quesadilla explosion salad? lol, Chili's isn't even trying anymore

But yes OP, it's hard to believe how many people generally have zero clue about eating properly, portion control, etc.

Salads with chicken tenders, bacon, cheese, and ranch dressing are definitely going to have a ton of calories.