Weight loss with PCOS

13»

Replies

• katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Fellow PCOS sufferer here too. Really want to get pregnant but lack of TOM and no ovulation meant that was a no go. I've lost 32 lbs in 3 months so far by sticking to a low carb diet and going to the gym about 4 times a week. Since losing some weight Aunt flow has made a re-appearance **YAY** so hoping if I keep it up me and the hubby could be Mommy & Daddy in the not too distant future. :heart:
  • Hi everyone! I just joined today and am so happy I ran accross this post! I also have PCOS and was diagnosed after the birth of my first son in 2007 then by 2008 was also insulin resistant and prescribed Metformin. It evenyually stopped working and gave me terrible side effects. I am happy to see all the posts of women with the same issues and the success they have made in weight loss! I think I am really going to like this site and it will help!! my heaviest was 245 lbs (not pregnant) and my weight now is 214. goal is 150! You all inspire me, Thank u, any I will be making a post in introductions soon :)
  • melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    Welcome :) I am glad this is very inspiring. I think many people do not understand what PCOS actually is and what he can mean for our minds and bodies. I am like that I have people to talk to about this!
  • BABC2010
    BABC2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Amy, I'm 34 years old and also have PCOS. I too have had success eating a diabetic diet. My doctor suggested 165 carbs a day along with Metformin (to battle the insulin resistance while I try to lose weight). Coupled with MFP's suggestion of 1200 calories a day, I've been able to shed an average of 2 pounds per week since mid-January, dropping from 231 to 148 currently. While I still have 15-20 pounds to go, I have no reason to believe I won't get there.

I welcome any friend "adds", particularly from other women suffering from PCOS. I would love to help support others in their journey and receive support myself as I approach the maintenance phase.

Good luck everyone!
    Beth
  • melissawilson21
    edited November 2014
    I am not sure if anyone reads this thread anymore. I know I started this up. It has been 2 years. As soon as I started this thread, November 11, 2012 my mom was killed in a car wreck and I have not been back on since. I am sorry you guys. I am back again though, I need to diet and change my life for the better. I am trying a new diet which is known as the Ketogenic diet and it is suppose to help women with PCOS. I am trying to adjust my carb intake to 50 grams or less per day, slowly but surely I am getting there, give or take. I hope everyone is well and I would like to get this going again. Thank you all so much for the responses!
  • I have just started back at MFP again. I am also a PCOS woman. I was diagnosed 15 yeas ago. Struggled with my weight ever since. As PCOS women we have harder times losing weight. I would love to be supported by a community of women who understand the struggle we face and support one as well! Welcome and good luck!
  • melissawilson21
    Yay! I still need to buy a scale to track my progress. lol
  • Pencil_Hearts
    Pencil_Hearts Posts: 152 Member
    I am so happy to have found this forum! I was diagnosed with PCOS last year. After years of wondering why the hell everything I was doing wasn't working and why I just wasn't "normal."
    Now that I know what I have and how to control it, I'm hoping to get on the right track to being healthy, I just need support as well. Anyone can add me as a friend!
  • melissawilson21
    I am glad you are here too!! If you ever have any questions just post and ill help or anyone else will help as much as possible! I have been diagnosed for 6 years now.
  • PattieCakes25
    PattieCakes25 Posts: 30 Member
    I just found out I have PCOS about 5 months ago. And since I just got married about 2 months ago, I've decided to start working on my weight because we want to start a family.
    This thread helps a lot because i know with PCOS its harder to get the weight off.
  • melissawilson21
    edited November 2014
    well, the last two days my carb intake went from 50ish to over 100 and i can tell. I have plantar fascitis and i have noticed anytime i go over it hurts. I also researched low carb diet helps PF so I understand why now. I really need to wean myself down, anyone who is doing low carb, any advice??? Thanks
  • melissawilson21
    Pattie, feel free to add me. I was diagnosed in 2006, I have had weight gain and a couple other symptoms and I am working on losing weight now. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask!! :)
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS too and have managed to lose 30lbs so far. 10lbs more to go to reach my goal weight. You just have to be extra strict with what you eat. No room for slacking unfortunately. Best of luck and feel free to add me :)
  • Hey I am also a PCOS sufferer, feel free to add me sisters to share this challenge x
  • melissawilson21
    edited January 2015
    http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/my-big-fat-fabulous-life/videos/my-big-fat-fabulous-life-sneak-peek.htm

Hey, This is Whitney who also suffers PCOS and she is bringing it to light now. Maybe people can understand more about this condition! Plus, she is from my area, she use to be a producer at a local radio station. Check it out!
  • melissawilson21
    hey everyone. I had some labs done and it came back decent. I had one thing that showed which alarmed me some. my liver enzymes were up and I have never had that result before. They are not sure why but I will probably have more labs drawn in about 6 months to see if they are still elevated. Hopefully it was just pain medicine (i cant remember if I took any before labs) that caused the elevation and not something more serious such as fatty liver. I have lost 11 lbs so far, I hope I can continue! Plus I plan on rejoining the gym at the end of the month since the holidays are over and focus on cardio before strengthening. Do any of yall have a similar story? Thanks!
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Sorry to hear about the horrific loss of your Mom, good luck with your program you can do it!

C
  • melissawilson21
    thanks!
  • melissawilson21
    Hello, I wanted to give an update on my PCOS. I have been to the doctor twice in a month, going back again on the 26th. My labs are showing high adrenal output at 1200, high liver enzymes, hyperglycemia and there is a couple more. My weight is around my abdominal area and in my face. The doctor thinks that I may have a tumor on my ovary or ovaries causing these symptoms. Tumor and cysts are different. The PCOS could be masking the tumor which is causing the PCOS to be more aggressive. The other symptoms I have is no period (no period for 1.5 years, just got it with some pills she gave me, it isn't BC though.) ..increase in hair, lower abdominal pain (dull ache sometimes), back pain (comes and goes) and acne (not as bad here lately, I treat it with tea tree oil). My blood pressure is stable, last time it read at 104/68, it has always been normal. I have been working out almost every day, I don't eat over my calorie limit, if I do it is rare. So this could explain a lot of things for me. I have also been on water pills because of the water retention. I go back March 26th for an ultrasound and follow-up the same day to come up with a plan. If you experience any of these symptoms or have the same abnormal labs ..do something. The doctor I previously had NEVER told me my adrenal output was significantly high, this is not good!!! I will update once I go back.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    i didnt see anyone link this yet but there is a large and active PCOS group here on mfp http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

lots of good info about pcos, diet, exercise and lifestyle info about pcos along with lots of friends who can relate.