Tricks for killing sweets cravings?

Anyone have any good go-to's to nix a craving for sweets. I know low carb eating eliminates cravings but I can't stick to it so I am trying to eat a balanced diet which includes carbs, even at dinner. I can stay well within my calorie goal during the day but sometimes, at the end of the day, I crave something sweet. Yesterday I had nothing in the house but some Lidl baklava, I bought just to try. Bad idea. I ended up over calorie goal due to 400 cal of Baklava (!), and it was not even good baklava. Any suggestions on how I could satisfy that craving without adding mega calories?
Ps - I will NEVER buy Baklava again. ;)

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    You can try a piece of fruit.
  • cantumelia
    cantumelia Posts: 59 Member
    Tetris! When you crave for sugar just play tetris or some other puzzle game. There's even some research about it.
  • cantumelia
    And sweet, fruity teas ;)
  • Dark chocolate (like 85 percent) with some almonds
  • That's interesting about the tetris, definitely worth a try. I am drinking non-caffeinated, zero cal teas all day long and this is a fruit abundant household, they won't curb it for me. Dark chocolate does work I but did not have any last night - but with almonds, that's a new one, that sounds satisfying! Thanks everyone.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    A spoonful of honey.

Mmmm..... baklava. I haven't had any in forever and a day. I should find a recipe and make some.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Frozen banana slices kill ice cream cravings for me. You can blend them up and make an ice cream-ish dessert, but I find that a bit too much faffing about and prefer just eating the frozen banana. The slices have the same chewy texture as some ice cream bars. I love it. :)
  • cantumelia
    Edulcorated fruity jellys have almost no calories and give a nice sensation of fullness.
  • cantumelia
    Frozen bananas! Sounds delicious. I'm trying it! Perhaps with cinnamon...mmmm
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Do you tend to crave fatty sweets? To you have enough fat in your diet? Have you tried to increase the fat you eat around the times you crave?

Peanutbutter is a good way to do this and still get a bit of that sweet still. I find most times I crave sweets it is when I haven't had a good fat source in a while and the sweet things I want are all high fat. Honey or gummy candies just wouldn't satisfy.

Just something to look at.
  • cantumelia
    When I crave some fats I eat some olives. Here in Spain peanut butter is not easily found. Plus olives are healthier ;)
  • You guys don't have much peanut butter over there? Oh dear!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    cantumelia wrote: »
    When I crave some fats I eat some olives. Here in Spain peanut butter is not easily found. Plus olives are healthier ;)

Olives are wonderful! So are avocados, nuts and seeds, cheese, and many other fat sources. I only suggested the peanutbutter because it has a sweet overtone which may help the op transition easer.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I eat sweets, only in moderation, so I make room in my caloric allotment daily for a treat.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Hot tea with honey
  • I either chew a piece of the dessert flavored sugar free gum or have a cup of tea with a tsp of sugar. Sometimes I do allot myself calories throughout the day though if I really want chocolate though.
  • Going to try the frozen banana slices. I have done the peanut butter trick as well when low carbing, I should have done that smh, much more satisfying than the crazy baklava overkill. I also used to make fat bombs when low carbing - with 85% dark chocolate around coconut oil. They were very satisfying but I fear even calculating the calories. At the point the craving hits, I probably only have 50-100 calories left to play with.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Rickbottom wrote: »
    Going to try the frozen banana slices. I have done the peanut butter trick as well when low carbing, I should have done that smh, much more satisfying than the crazy baklava overkill. I also used to make fat bombs when low carbing - with 85% dark chocolate around coconut oil. They were very satisfying but I fear even calculating the calories. At the point the craving hits, I probably only have 50-100 calories left to play with.

Stay on top of your macros through out the day! If fat does help you stay satisfied do t let it get to low before you address it.

Personally I have to keep at least 60g in my diet spread through the day to keep me even and in control.
  • Peanut Butter on Bananas is great. I buy that PB2. In case you don't know what that is, it's powdered Peanut Butter that you add water to. They also have it in Chocolate. I love it. Way less Cal. You can order it on line. Have had lots of friends try it and they all love it. Just a thought. Also maybe put it in your journal to see where it will put you at before eating it then you can maybe decrease how much of it you eat. Hope this helps
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    I always leave room in my calories intake for the day because I am terrible with snacking right before I go to bed. Right now, its a white fudge covered Oreo. Just 1. They only make them around the holidays, so I try to eat as many as I can. Lol. I do enjoy the frozen bananas, also. Sometimes its a tablespoon of peanut butter and others its 5 or 6 skittles. But no matter the day, I leave calories for my bedtime snacks because I'm going to eat them whether I have calories or not.