Height and BMI

Options
When you're figuring your BMI, do you use your exact height, or estimate?

I'm 5'4.5" - I always use 5'4" when assessing my BMI. I was just wondering how it's usually (or supposed to be) done.

I know that a few pounds either way, and my BMI aren't big deals in the grand scheme of weight loss and fitness, and won't make or break my success. I'm just curious.

Replies

• habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    If the particular BMI calculator I am using that day lets me enter the weight to the 1/2 inch, I do so (some do, some don't). I am shooting for the middle of the range, so it doesn't really matter (however, I'm short so just on principle I take that 1/2 inch whenever I can!)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When you're figuring your BMI, do you use your exact height, or estimate?

I'm 5'4.5" - I always use 5'4" when assessing my BMI. I was just wondering how it's usually (or supposed to be) done.

I know that a few pounds either way, and my BMI aren't big deals in the grand scheme of weight loss and fitness, and won't make or break my success. I'm just curious.

I use my exact height. I'm not sure it really matters.

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.75"... I just use 5'3". :)
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Use a metric scale ;)
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    supermysza wrote: »
    Use a metric scale ;)
    That actually makes sense. I type in 5 3.75 but 162 cm would be simpler.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    supermysza wrote: »
    Use a metric scale ;)

Brilliant.

Thanks all :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    BMI is just an estimate anyway. Try to be accurate, but don't put undue weight (pun intended) in it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Well, I just figure it myself rather than using an online calculator (weight in pounds/height in inches squared X 703). My height hasn't changed while I've been doing this, so I have the figure for the square of my height in inches memorized. My height is an even number, but if it weren't, I would use the fraction. I use half pounds for the weight.