:( depression & binge eating

Options
I have been going through a cycle of getting depressed & binge eating :( once I start a binge I can't stop! Thursday I was 105.5, today (Saturday) I'm up to 109 :( I was just getting over another binge & my weight was finally restabilizing.... Ugh idk how to break this cycle. I spent all day in bed yesterday eating & sleeping...

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have been going through a cycle of getting depressed & binge eating :( once I start a binge I can't stop! Thursday I was 105.5, today (Saturday) I'm up to 109 :( I was just getting over another binge & my weight was finally restabilizing.... Ugh idk how to break this cycle. I spent all day in bed yesterday eating & sleeping...

Are you getting enough calories each day?

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    109 is not a lot. Talk to a professional about binge eating, they can help you get to the bottom of both your depression and binging. Please seek help.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Are you getting enough calories each day?

I was maintaining 104-105 on 1500-1700 calories with 45 minutes of exercise a day. I'm 5'4, small framed, 24 y/o female
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    109 is not a lot. Talk to a professional about binge eating, they can help you get to the bottom of both your depression and binging. Please seek help.

I suffered from anorexia last year. I got down to 80 lb... So after maintaining 104-105 the past couple months, 109 seems like quite a bit
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    Options

I suffered from anorexia last year. I got down to 80 lb... So after maintaining 104-105 the past couple months, 109 seems like quite a bit

Your weight fluctuates naturally, daily. There are up to 13 lbs of water in your body every day, and that's the way it's supposed to be. So depending on when you weigh yourself and different factors, you are going to see that fluctuation. I recommend using a site like trendweight or hacker's diet online to plot out your daily fluctuations- it will average them and you will see what the true trend is.

But according to BMI charts, 110 is low end of healthy for 5'4". 105 is underweight. I'm 5'4" myself.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options

Your weight fluctuates naturally, daily. There are up to 13 lbs of water in your body every day, and that's the way it's supposed to be. So depending on when you weigh yourself and different factors, you are going to see that fluctuation. I recommend using a site like trendweight or hacker's diet online to plot out your daily fluctuations- it will average them and you will see what the true trend is.

But according to BMI charts, 110 is low end of healthy for 5'4". 105 is underweight. I'm 5'4" myself.
    I spent the entire day in bed sleeping & eating yesterday. Lots of bread, candy... I suppose lack of exercise could lead to water retention? I easily ate an extra 4,000 Cala over AT LEAST the last two days
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    Options

I spent the entire day in bed sleeping & eating yesterday. Lots of bread, candy... I suppose lack of exercise could lead to water retention? I easily ate an extra 4,000 Cala over AT LEAST the last two days

Are you logging everything accurately? Especially as someone in recovery from ana, it's so important to make sure you're not overestimating how much you eat. Because that happens a lot.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options

Are you logging everything accurately? Especially as someone in recovery from ana, it's so important to make sure you're not overestimating how much you eat. Because that happens a lot.

Yes. I ate a giant bag of jelly beans, 3 packs of m&ms, bread...it all adds up quickly. I usually avoid sugar but the second I eat any sugar I binge
  • choosing_fitness
    Options

I am really proud of you for getting help. I know it is hard. It seems like 105 lbs. is a lot and compared to your 80 lbs. body it may seem that way. But you are at a healthier weight now! :) 109 may seem like a lot to you, I am sure. And I used to be a binger, I still struggle, but what I started doing was eating foods I liked, in moderation. Yesterday, for example, I had two snickers, york peppermint patties, and some other form of candy I can't remember. It was a LOT of candy and I actually felt sick, but it was something I wanted and I did not want to deny it from myself. Maybe you could try eating all of those things and eating small slow bites, even if that means you eat all of it. You can at least savor it, because our stomachs can't taste it ;) Just a thought! YOU CAN DO IT. And you are worth far more than that number on the scale!
  • choosing_fitness
    Options
    The candy I ate still actually fit into my calories, but even if it did not, going over by 300 is better than going over by 1000. So, if you need it and you want it, go for the food you are craving, just respect your body and listen to its signals!
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    The candy I ate still actually fit into my calories, but even if it did not, going over by 300 is better than going over by 1000. So, if you need it and you want it, go for the food you are craving, just respect your body and listen to its signals!

Thank you. That's a good idea.. I'm worried to gain because I don't want to relapse... I'm hoping a lot of this is water weight
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

While I can imagine 109 seems a lot after weighing 80 lbs, it's probably the first time you've been at a healthy weight in some time. According to BMI, 104 - 105 is still somewhat underweight for someone your height.

Congratulations on dealing with your anorexia and the progress you have made to date but I urge you to get some professional help. The binging is yet another stage of your eating disorder. Please read the link below.

Where next after anorexia?

• hummingbirdhope
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »

While I can imagine 109 seems a lot after weighing 80 lbs, it's probably the first time you've been at a healthy weight in some time. According to BMI, 104 - 105 is still somewhat underweight for someone your height.

Congratulations on dealing with your anorexia and the progress you have made to date but I urge you to get some professional help. The binging is yet another stage of your eating disorder. Please read the link below.

Where next after anorexia?

It says page not found :( I'm curious to see what this link is...
  • socalkay
    Options
    Sorry about that! I fixed the link. Please try again.

Where next after anorexia
  • socalkay
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here's another very on point article by the same woman in which she addresses a lot of what you are going through now:

Recovering from Anorexia: How and Why Not to Stop Halfway
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    Here's another very on point article by the same woman in which she addresses a lot of what you are going through now:

Recovering from Anorexia: How and Why Not to Stop Halfway

So instead of fighting to be back down at 105... I should just carry on at this weight?:( ugh.
  • socalkay
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes! You don't have to fight food - think of how freeing that is! Read through all of that woman's articles. Believe what she has to say. She's been where you are and she made it back to health and happiness.
  • hummingbirdhope
    Options
    Yes! You don't have to fight food - think of how freeing that is! Read through that woman's articles. She's been where you are and she made it back to health and happiness.

But I don't want to gain unnecessary weight...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Do you still have regular appointments with your recovery team? If not, it might be time to schedule one to check in and work through your current issues.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    Getting my depression medication changed made all the difference in the world for me.

Also, one binge won't make you gain a lot of weight. Just like the first weight you lose is water weight, that's the first weight you gain, as well. It'll come right off.

Hang in there! :-)