:( depression & binge eating

Options
2»

Replies

• hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    boku70 wrote: »
    Getting my depression medication changed made all the difference in the world for me.

Also, one binge won't make you gain a lot of weight. Just like the first weight you lose is water weight, that's the first weight you gain, as well. It'll come right off.

Hang in there! :-)

Well I'm up to 109 right now.:.

• emdarling07
    emdarling07 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh darlin', I've been there x I've recovered from Bulimia, and it took years of therapy and group sessions to help me do it (not that you'll need that). But I have lots of advice and I would be happy to chat with you if you'd like x Feel free to add me :) In fact, I've just created a Eating Disorders Support Group on MFP

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100766-eating-disorder-support-group

The very first post is my story :) In case you'd like to know a little more about me x
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It's necessary weight to get healthy and get past the binge eating. Your body is still starved. You need to eat to recover fully. Any 'overshoot' is temporary while the body restores itself.

"In a nutshell: fat is restored first, but extreme hunger will continue until fat-free mass is restored, so because your body has a basic fixed proportion of body fat to fat-free mass, you have to let your body gain more fat to finish off the process."

"I’ve mentioned the temporary ‘overshoot’ phenomenon in previous posts, but it’s worth reiterating here: if recovery from a malnourished state is allowed to proceed naturally, i.e. without any negative impact of restricting behaviours, bodyweight, and specifically bodyfat, increases beyond the level at which it was stable before weight loss, but gradually drops back again to pre-starvation levels within a year."

Your body is starved, and your character and your thoughts are dominated by this starvation, and will cease to be so once you allow yourself to regain weight. Give yourself permission to eat, to get healthy, to be happy again.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Remember, you have to eat ~3500 over maintenance to gain a pound. What you're probably seeing on the scale is water weight (sugar can cause retention, too) and the weight of the food you ate in your intestines.

Again, understanding what is causing your depression and causing the binges is key at this point.
  • hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh darlin', I've been there x I've recovered from Bulimia, and it took years of therapy and group sessions to help me do it (not that you'll need that). But I have lots of advice and I would be happy to chat with you if you'd like x Feel free to add me :) In fact, I've just created a Eating Disorders Support Group on MFP

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100766-eating-disorder-support-group

The very first post is my story :) In case you'd like to know a little more about me x

It won't let me message you:( can you send me a message please?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just went through a phase like this. Best thing to do is to put your game face on and stick to your macros and exercise plan (let it go). Exercise will make you feel better and sticking to macros will instill. Sense of purpose and control (all three great natural antidepressants)
  • Ni1428
    Ni1428 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm here to tell you that I have fought the depression fight and as far as meds are concerned, I have been there and done that and gained a whopping 30 lbs in the process! It is my personal opinion that antidepressants don't solve the problems we have. Try to change the way you think about things in your life and about yourself. Be honest with yourself...Is it money problems? Low self-esteem/image issues? Family troubles? Marital issues? Etc etc. Pinpoint what is making you feel depressed and then decide how you are going to change the situation (if possible) for the best. Pray throughout each day. Even if you have to get on meds temporarily, do not depend on medication as a lifelong answer to your problems. Beware of foods and drinks that can lead to symptoms of depression....CAFFEINE is one of the absolute biggest culprits! Do not over-do coffee, soda, etc things with caffeine....even chocolate candy. I am not a doctor, I only speak from experience and I have tested myself in these areas. If I take in too much caffeine or start drinking regular coffee too many days in a row, I experience reeeeeallly bad symptoms of depression. And it usually takes almost two weeks of detox to stop the symptoms and start feeling better. Last, exercise! I recently joined a health club, not just because I need to lose weight because losing weight can be done anywhere, but I joined because I needed a place where I could have peace of mind, relaxation away from my everyday responsibilities (Work, school, 3 kids, etc). So find something that truly relaxes you and puts you at ease for at least 30 minutes a day. Exercise is truly therapy. You can do this! I strongly believe in fighting depression naturally, not using meds. As far as binge eating - try to binge on fruits & veggies...it won't hurt you and you'll probably fill up so quickly you won't really binge at all. Keep tempting foods out of the house but do treat yourself once a week! You're worth it! ;)