Pilates & Yoga....WOW

Options
My hubby took me to Wal-mart today and while we were there, I thought I'd check out the limited selection of exercise equipment. And Lo and Behold, I found several DVD's with 10 minute workouts. I bought two; :happy: one was pilates and the other was Yoga for beginners. I did two of the workouts from the Pilates DVD and MAN DID I FEEL THE BURN:wink: The yoga on the other hand will take some practice for me to get.

Anyways, anybody out there have an suggestions for Pilates or Yoga? Is there anything that I need to be aware of?

BTW HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!

Replies

• teacheratkins24
    teacheratkins24 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My hubby took me to Wal-mart today and while we were there, I thought I'd check out the limited selection of exercise equipment. And Lo and Behold, I found several DVD's with 10 minute workouts. I bought two; :happy: one was pilates and the other was Yoga for beginners. I did two of the workouts from the Pilates DVD and MAN DID I FEEL THE BURN:wink: The yoga on the other hand will take some practice for me to get.

Anyways, anybody out there have an suggestions for Pilates or Yoga? Is there anything that I need to be aware of?

BTW HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I can...I like to do my YogaZone DVDs. I have a few, but the one I appriciate the most is "stretching for flexibility". There are two 20 minute routines on each DVD. It's a great DVD to help you stretch out your body, creating longer leaner muscles and open your body up for a full yoga routine. I found jumping right into yoga was tough, since I'm a non-stretchy person!!
  • csnook2
    Options
    The main thing to remember when doing ANY Yoga pose, is to monitor your breathing, and let your breathe work with the move. The harder poses take time to get muscle memory. Remembering to control your breathe at first while learning the poses will help immensely. My wife and I are doing the Yoga routine form the P90X workout, talk about intense! 92 minutes of stretching and strength and stamina, and we started that with having done NO yoga ever before, so it can be done. Just hang in there, and don't try to over stretch to amke a pose, allow it to come with time.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advise but just wanted to say I love Pilates too. Did you get mat? I find sometimes that even with a carpet my butt starts to hurt without one.
    Enjoy:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of pilates...I don't think I do it right, it gives me a headache.
  • luvdance
    Options
    I have one yoga dvd Quick Start Yoga for Weight Loss with Suzanne Deason. It is a good dvd if you are just starting out in yoga. I was doing yoga daily this past summer, until I started school for the fall. I have been doing other physical activities. I knew yoga was missing in my life. I popped in the dvd yesterday and the practice helped relieve some tension. It is a simple video to follow. Sometimes simplicity is just what I need.

I will pass this dvd to my sister, in hopes that she will practice yoga :heart: :heart: :heart:

I will buy another yoga dvd (Shiva Rea) so I can continue to grow in the practice of yoga at home :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • gis35
    gis35 Posts: 54
    Options
    I have a YogaLates Dvd that i haven't used much and was actually thinking of adding it to my workouts, when i came across this thread, now i know i'll do it, thanks luv:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I do pilates every day and it LOVE it! :love: :love: :love:

One of the best rules I ever learned was while taking a yoga class (and the same is true for pilates) it isn't the quantity of the movement, its the QUALITY of the movement. Focus on doing it right before you focus on how many you can do. :flowerforyou: