Do YOU eat all your exercise calories?

Options
I know you are supposed to, and I do most of the time, just curious what other people do

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    I know you are supposed to, and I do most of the time, just curious what other people do
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Yup.

I only have my lunch break to workout and shower, so the max I burn is usually around 400.
    Easy to eat an extra 400.
    Of course, I could make eating an extra 1000 calories easy!! :wink:
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yep I do! In fact, a lot of times I'm still hungry later at night and so I'll go job on the treadmill for 20 minutes to get enough calories to have a snack...

Plus! I'm getting close to a "healthy" weight so it's actually healthier for me to go over a couple days a week than to go under a few days a week...:happy:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I'm trying something new this week. I have a heart rate monitor which is usually about 250 calories over what this website will put in for the same exercises. So I'm going by what the website says and not counting the extra 250 calories, because I think I may be eating 250 calories over in my measurements and not realizing it, and that's why I'm not losing any weight. So, according to this website information, I eat all the exercise calories. We'll see how it goes.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I try, but I'm usually under by 300-400 calories. I do Cardo Kick Boxing, which apparently burns a lot of calories. 60 minutes of exercise gives me an extra 600 calories and when I'm done I don't want to eat...I only want to drink water.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    not usually, but I don't get a whole lot of time to excersise. I may get 20-30 mins a lunch, and occasionally 15 mins in the evening on the elliptical. I just squeeze in when I can.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I eat most of mine but not all of them. I assume that the numbers are estimates and I leave some wiggle room. I generally eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day, depending on how hard and long I've exercised.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I do eat exercise calories, but I usually lower the amount the site gives me by 50-100 depending on the how much it is. And if it's less than 50 I don't log it, unless I have a few things to add up. Of course, I also don't log every tiny thing I eat either. Such as one piece of Hershey's Bliss, it is only 30 calories so I don't log it.

I figure it's not really an exact science, just more of learning to be accountable and aware of what you are putting in and taking out of your body. A day of eating 100 fewer calories won't harm me and eating 100 extra won't either.

It seems to work well for me =)
  • sugartwist01
    Options
    I've learned that as long as you eat all your exercise calories within that week you are good to go. It's actually better for your metabolism to eat a different amount everyday that way you are confusing your metabolism and it won't slow down or stay the same it will actually speed up which equals continuous weight loss. For instance, if I'm supposed to eat 9800 calories in a 7 day period (that includes ex cals) then it equals out to 1400 cals a day, but instead of eating 1400 cals every day some days I will eat more or less but still have it equal out to 9800 at the end of the week.
    Example
    Monday - 1400
    Tuesday - 1600
    Wednesday - 1200
    Thursday - 1300
    Friday - 1500
    Saturday - 1450
    Sunday - 1350

Hope this helps :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yep, but I also subtract 54 calories per hour of exercise as I'd burn those doing nothing, so there's no point in adding them to the base calories as it already includes those. I set my activity level to a moderate level since I'm on my feet all day between work and school. I eat 1700-1800 calories per day and it works very well.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Yup I eat em...but only after I subtract out the calories that Songbyrdsweet mentioned...
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i eat most of them
  • Emmalouise23
    Options
    According to my plan i should eat 1200 a day and i usually do 400 worth of exercise between my 2 workouts in the morn and eve.
    I try to stick with 1200 as tbh i dont have a big appetite anyway atm and eating more than i really want to would make me bloated and uncomfortable, but if i get hungry i will eat into the exercise calories as and when i feel the need xx
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yep, but I also subtract 54 calories per hour of exercise as I'd burn those doing nothing, so there's no point in adding them to the base calories as it already includes those. I set my activity level to a moderate level since I'm on my feet all day between work and school. I eat 1700-1800 calories per day and it works very well.

I follow this rule too (after I did a head slap when reading a SBS post!! duh!)

I always follow my HRM as it has MY weight, height and age to give me the burned cals.

Dont forget to change it when you lose weight, I just changed mine...oops!