Sugar!

Options
It's everywhere. I am trying to cut down on it (not cut it out of course) but it is in everything. I did not realise how much was even in my yoghurt.

What advice do people have on further cutting down on sugar? Feel free to look at my diary (Please ignore the choc-top and kitkat from the cinema yesterday lol) I am not worried about things I know have sugar like chocolate but it's all that hidden sugar.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Read labels. That's my primary advice. And consider: what's from fruits/milk (naturally from (dairy), versus what's added to ketchup, soup, dressing, bread, etc. etc. Different stuff. The ADDED stuff? That stuff, I limit.

And ask MFP again to distinguish between fructose and the rest.

And prepare for everyone to say "it doesn't matter" or "it doesn't matter as long as it fits in YOUR macros" to which you reply: lots of added (key word) sugar doesn't.

Good luck!

ps: dairy has sugar. Lots of things naturally do. Read up on naturally occurring versus added sugars etc. PM me if you'd like more info.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Always read the labels. If you've got the choice of a product with none, go for that product. Else go for the product with the lowest. IMHO the low sugar versions always taste better anyway. Be wary of "low fat" versions, often the low fat option has high sugar.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    One thing you might want to consider is that food labels do not distinguish between natural and added sugars (neither does your body, but that's a separate discussion). If you're aiming to keep your added sugar under a certain number, you're going to have trouble doing that definitively with existing labels.

Which means that you're basically left with focusing on incorporating as many whole foods as possible into your diet to cut back on sugar. Nothing wrong with cutting back on sugar, but unless you have a medical reason to track sugar, it is not going to impact your weight loss, and just losing weight in and of itself often causes significant improvement in health markers.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont know I am eating at a deficit and working out and I was not losing the weight. once I cut out the refined/processed sugars(not naturally occurring) I started losing the weight.I also cut out chips(havent had chips in over 3 weeks) I had 2 cookies yesterday after 3 weeks going without them,no soda at all and a few pieces of chocolate rarely in the last 3 weeks. I was watching my sugar intake as well also as I have since I started MFP. but like I said once I did that they started dropping and I feel better and even look better.99% of the time I avoid it.I have no reason to avoid sugar either.I just feel better without all that crap in my system. I can also control how much I eat of those types of things and dont get the cravings like I used to.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    One thing you might want to consider is that food labels do not distinguish between natural and added sugars (neither does your body, but that's a separate discussion). If you're aiming to keep your added sugar under a certain number, you're going to have trouble doing that definitively with existing labels.

Which means that you're basically left with focusing on incorporating as many whole foods as possible into your diet to cut back on sugar. Nothing wrong with cutting back on sugar, but unless you have a medical reason to track sugar, it is not going to impact your weight loss, and just losing weight in and of itself often causes significant improvement in health markers.

ugghhhhh.........the magic catch phrase of MFP. A good and valid reason to track sugar is for overall health. To say you don't even need to track it is absurd. If you just ignore it then why even bother with any of this counting and tracking. All the IIFYM crowd actually do sort of track sugar if they track carbs, which of course they do. As others have said....read labels,,,,aim for whole fresh foods rather than packaged and boxed and heat and eat type foods. It is a learning process....good for you for starting it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »

ugghhhhh.........the magic catch phrase of MFP. A good and valid reason to track sugar is for overall health. To say you don't even need to track it is absurd. If you just ignore it then why even bother with any of this counting and tracking. All the IIFYM crowd actually do sort of track sugar if they track carbs, which of course they do. As others have said....read labels,,,,aim for whole fresh foods rather than packaged and boxed and heat and eat type foods. It is a learning process....good for you for starting it.

Never tracked my sugar intake. Lost 121 pounds, plus the fact my blood work came out awesome and I have reverse my heart issues!! ;)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Never tracked my sugar intake. Lost 121 pounds, plus the fact my blood work came out awesome and I have reverse my heart issues!! ;)

that is fantastic. maybe you never ate that much sugar in the first place?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Just looked it up, I averaged about 75-100 grams a day.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sugar makes me strong. I must be a snowflake though.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

You have to look at the ingredients listing, not just the nutrition label. The nutrition label does not distinguish between naturally occuring sugars and added sugars. The ingredients label will list sugar if it has been added but you have to know all of the names of the commonly used sugars like sucrose, dextrose, lactose, fructose, galactose, maltose, etc. (not to mention things like corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup).

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    if sugar is a serious problem in your blood, or you are eating mugs of table sugar every day, then look into it. otherwise, don't worry about it. it's not as dire as most people think it is.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that products marketed as "low fat" will ALWAYS be high in sugar - they have to add sugar in order to improve the flavor from the lack of fat. I'd bet your yogurt is low fat or fat free without looking at it. Avoid "low fat" products - buy the full fat versions and you'll see your sugar intake decrease. Fat does not make you fat, either.

Also... your body does not distinguish between natural and added sugars, so you still do need to watch your sugar intake from fruit. Any nutrients in fruit can be found in vegetables for a fraction of the sugar.
  • earlnabby
    Options

I never track my sugar either. I am T2 diabetic and my doctor (a certified diabetic educator) told me that tracking sugar is useless since blood sugar raises and lowers with total carb intake, not just sugar intake. My A1C is down to normal levels and I am off the meds after only 9 months since diagnosis.

58841349.png
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    It's everywhere. I am trying to cut down on it (not cut it out of course) but it is in everything. I did not realise how much was even in my yoghurt.

What advice do people have on further cutting down on sugar? Feel free to look at my diary (Please ignore the choc-top and kitkat from the cinema yesterday lol) I am not worried about things I know have sugar like chocolate but it's all that hidden sugar.

Make as many things yourself as possible. Buy plain yogurt and add fruit or protein powder. Make your own salad dressings. Use canned tomatoes and make your own spaghetti sauce or better yet, do pasta primavera instead of sauced pasta. basically, the fewer convenience foods you use, the more control you will have over the ingredients.

• drizlaru
    Options
    5. Cut back on refined carbs and sugary drinks. White bread, white rice, white pasta and potatoes cause fast and furious increases in blood sugar, as do sugary soft drinks, fruit punch, and fruit juice. Over time, eating lots of these refined carbohydrates and sugar may increase your risk of type 2 diabetes. To lower your risk—switch to whole grains and skip the sugar, especially the sugary drinks.

hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/type-2-diabetes/

Stirs the pot. >:)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I am getting the impression based on your response that you didn't actually read my post. Right before the phrase you bolded, I say "Nothing wrong with cutting back on sugar"; immediately after the phrase you bolded, I clearly say "it is not going to impact your weight loss." At no point did I say anything about tracking sugar for health. I was quite clearly talking about the role of tracking sugar in weight loss. The only reference I made to overall health was stating that weight loss often causes significant improvement in health markers in and of itself, which it does.

You'll also notice that I suggest incorporating as many whole foods as possible to cut back on sugar since the labels do not delineate between added and natural sugars. As earlnabby points out, you can identify added sugars on the ingredient list, however for tracking quantities of natural vs added sugars, nutrition labels don't really give one the information the OP seems to be trying to track.

Not sure who you are or why my post would draw such ire, but please leave me out of whatever perceived feud is going on between you and whatever group you have a bone of contention with on the forums.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Apparently that wasn't too much for your body. Good for you. Others aren't so lucky.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Medilia wrote: »

Make as many things yourself as possible. Buy plain yogurt and add fruit or protein powder. Make your own salad dressings. Use canned tomatoes and make your own spaghetti sauce or better yet, do pasta primavera instead of sauced pasta. basically, the fewer convenience foods you use, the more control you will have over the ingredients.

^^ This.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

maybe because if you are in a calorie deficit and eating sugar you will lose weight …

it' is more absurd to say that sugar is what is causing weight gain...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »

Apparently that wasn't too much for your body. Good for you. Others aren't so lucky.

"too much for your body.." < what does that even mean???? Others are not so lucky because they eat in a calorie surplus, sugar has nothing to do with it..unless we are talking about people with a medical condition ...