Grossed out by loose skin

Options
Any time I see videos or pictures of weight loss with lots of loose skin I get a bit queasy to be totally honest. At my current weight, if I loose a fair amount in any amount of time I'm probably going to have loose skin myself and honestly, the idea makes me sick. I am honestly more attracted to people who are fatter than those with excess skin, particularly in the thigh/stomach region. Scars don't both me and the idea of plastic surgery doesn't faze me at all in this regard but is there ways to get over the physical reaction I have to seeing peoples drastic weight loss and the sometimes reality of what happens afterwards?

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I looked better naked at 360 pounds than I do now. Yeah I was super morbidly obese, but my skin was all filled out and I was evenly proportioned with fat everywhere and I looked like a cartoon of a fat lady...my nekkid body looked pretty much as one would expect it to look. Now I look better clothed but nekkid is pretty horrifying to me. Meh, I just endure it and save my pennies for cosmetic surgery as I lose these last 50 pounds.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I looked better naked at 360 pounds than I do now. Yeah I was super morbidly obese, but my skin was all filled out and I was evenly proportioned with fat everywhere and I looked like a cartoon of a fat lady...my nekkid body looked pretty much as one would expect it to look. Now I look better clothed but nekkid is pretty horrifying to me. Meh, I just endure it and save my pennies for cosmetic surgery as I lose these last 50 pounds.

maybe look into lifting

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »

maybe look into lifting

Unfortunately, increasing muscle definition does nothing for skin that has been stretched out. Time helps some, but not all skin will shrink back, especially as you age.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's the reality of weight loss for many who have been about 80+ pounds overweight. A good plastic surgeon helps, but hopefully this could be one reason that helps to deter people from gaining a lot of weight in the first place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Any time I see videos or pictures of weight loss with lots of loose skin I get a bit queasy to be totally honest. At my current weight, if I loose a fair amount in any amount of time I'm probably going to have loose skin myself and honestly, the idea makes me sick. I am honestly more attracted to people who are fatter than those with excess skin, particularly in the thigh/stomach region. Scars don't both me and the idea of plastic surgery doesn't faze me at all in this regard but is there ways to get over the physical reaction I have to seeing peoples drastic weight loss and the sometimes reality of what happens afterwards?

So what you're asking for is tips for coming to terms with loose skin? But also that surgery and scars don't both (sic) you?

A psychologist will help you work out why you have a physical revulsion for loose skin, and perhaps try exposure therapy amongst other techniques to help you to stop feeling queasy when you see "videos or pictures of weight loss with lots of loose skin". Genuine psychological help is rather beyond what you might reasonably expect from an MFP thread.

Some people will tell you that loose skin can be fixed through lifting, diet, exercise, hydration, oils, etc etc. Personally, I'm sure age is the main factor in the success or failure any non-invasive body contouring project.
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, is your health across your lifespan not worth it? Other than smoking, obesity is one of the top factors exacerbating age-realted illness and disability. I get where you're coming from on a superficial level, but if you're not afraid of surgery then just give'er on getting to a healthy and appropriate weight and rock you're scars when you've reached the final goal.

Everyone...EVERYONE is self-conscious about something about their naked bodies. I for one, have scars on my butt, not just from shaving and hormonal acne scars, but a 1cm by 3 inch long scar even visible in a bikini from an embarrassing accident. I've been modelling since 19, and we generally have to be dressed by other people while naked except for a thong in the seconds of outfit change time before heading back on the runway. If there was ever a time or an industry to be judged, it would be then, or at castings when they actually have time to look, but no one has ever said anything crippling to my self esteem other than ME. As long as you don't plan on having a career in runway, you're probably able to avoid having others scrutinize your naked body. Anyway, anyone seeing you naked hopefully loves you regardless, or is your Dr. and TRULY cares about your health and would be overjoyed that you lost a massive amount of weight.

In terms of not being disgusted by yourself, focus on the positive aspects of huge weight loss, what you can do, do better, and challenge yourself to accomplish that you couldn't before. As is the case with many things, if it's happening to you, it's very different. There may be less of a visceral reaction if you actually see the gradual changes in your body composition instead of the polarity of before/after pics.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    People start their weight loss journey thinking at the end of it they will look a certain way... in reality that's not what happens. I have a fair amount of loose skin, and it's the one thing I am really self conscious about. I'm dealing with it slowly. I feel better now though than I did before I started, loose skin and all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, but my health is much better now, and it's what really matters.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

^^^ This x 1000!

PS - I've lost 105+, I have some loose skin, and I would definitely not go back to being obese!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I've lost just a little over 100lb, with as much more to go and I already have plenty of loose, wobbly junk going on. And to make it even more fun, I've now developed fungal dermatitis under my belly and in my inguinal area... otherwise known as jock itch. It's absolutely gross and a real pain to deal with. If I lose all the weight I want to lose, -and- keep it off for a year, I am damn well having plastic surgery to take the skin off, mostly for quality of life issues. Fun! This is my cost for letting myself get so fat to begin with.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I take some easily covered loose skin over class 3 morbid obesity any day.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    never had to deal with it even when i lost weight very fast. depends on the person tho.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

^^^ This x 1000!

PS - I've lost 105+, I have some loose skin, and I would definitely not go back to being obese!
    Yep. I don't like mine either. I have a teeny bit in my arms and inner legs. It's so miniscule that I can live with it. My lower stomach area is another story. It doesn't personally repulse me when I look at myself in the mirror but being seen by the opposite sex, especially a potential romantic interest? Yeah, no. I'm going to wait a couple of years once I get to my goal weight to see how much of it snaps back but I believe surgery will be my only option.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My story and pics has resurfaced in the success stories group again. May be what you're even referring to, not sure. Either way, don't let your fear of skin and your aversion to how it looks prevent you from prioritizing your health first. If you're not afraid of surgery and scars then just make that your final reward to yourself.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think as you lose the weight gradually you will get used to it on your own body and won't be as grossed out by it. At least I think it might be tolerable for you as it's on you until you are ready to just go and have the surgery since you are okay with that option.

Good luck!
  • BadgerFaced
    BadgerFaced Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I really appreciate how everyone took the time and remained civil on a topic such as this, along with everyone's honesty.
    This was mostly inspired by the video done by the guy who does Obese to Beast (I think) and him showing off his body.

A lot of people are saying it's the price for letting yourself get to this point in regards to weight, but for myself I've always been overweight since I was around 2 or 3 so I feel as though it wasn't my fault for a majority of my life, I could have tried harder when I was younger mind you.
    Surgery is definitely an option but far too expensive for me and probably will be for some time. I'm just hoping my body will be kind if I lose weight slowly. Looking at around 50-ish lbs a year.
    Psychological help could definitely help and as I start hitting major weight loss goals it will definitely be something worth looking into to when the time comes. I'm sure feeling physically better will also ease any ill feelings I may have about my skin.

Apologies for not replying to everyone individually, but the thread got a fair bit bigger than I had anticipated.