Feeling Frustrated

Options
cdenae79
cdenae79 Posts: 12 Member
I started on my weight loss Journey just over a month ago. I had lost 9lb already before I started using MFP so I have lost about 17.5 lb. Last week I had my period and I could feel I was bloated so I waited to weigh my self till 2 days after it was over happily I was down another 1.5 lb. How ever in the 4 days since then I have gained 3lb and I have been drinking my water and staying at or under my calories for the day I went over 1 day but only by 23 calories. Most days I stay under by 100-300 calories, I am not sure what gives.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuations maybe
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,221 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. If you are doing the right things (staying under or in one case very near you calorie goal), then just have patience. When I was losing, there were weeks that I was doing everything right and I'd see an increase in weight... but that would usually quickly be followed by a massive decrease. Just keep doing the right things and be patient. Try not to let it derail you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Your bidy fluctuates naturally for all sorts of reasons as they said. Plot your weight or ask for apps that help you plot the weight and that will reassure you that its not linear, but you cna follow the general trend if you maintain your deficit, of a downward movement.
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Are you watching your sodium intake? That can also be a factor.
  • cdenae79
    Options
    I went back and looked at my sodium over the last 30 days and I have been about 50/50 on staying under/going over though often when I went over it was under 100. I have been drinking mainly water some iced tea and NO soda which I am very proud of no soda now for over 30 days! I am going to work harder on keeping my sodium down and my water at a gallon a day.
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is totally typical. Weight fluctuates all the time -- you just have to keep at it and watch for that overall downward swing. Here's my last half-year to show you what I mean.
    776o0vy4ddrg.jpg
  • yuiconnor
    Options
    This is totally typical. Weight fluctuates all the time -- you just have to keep at it and watch for that overall downward swing. Here's my last half-year to show you what I mean.
    776o0vy4ddrg.jpg

OMG Good job and keep up the good work!!
  • shthompson74
    shthompson74 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal... I go up and down a few pounds each day depending on time and consumption. Although I weigh myself every day I workout I only log a loss after a consistent period of time below the last weight ie: 1 week... also I only log from the one scale that I use primarily.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear even when you stick to your defecit week in week out - it fluctuates massively and you have to not believe the scales over weeks but over months -exercise, sodium, damn hormones all affect day to day fluctuations

Here

Over a week
    6qo9i8x2zyzo.jpg

Over a month
    2ez1xkirwdyb.jpg

Over 6 months
    0lsd6eziynni.jpg

Hope it helps
  • Sing_90
    Sing_90 Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The intake of sodium/salt can 'hold on' water in your body. I would recommend a sodium intake of < 3 grams a day.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yes what everyone else said! and hormones do affect too, which if I count your days correctly you have arrived near ovulation time so that's another big fluctuation for a lot of people.

But since no one else seemed to mention and in *case* this might pertain to you, be sure you are weighing all solids with a food scale (not measuring cups) and using measuring cups or scale for all liquids. Make sure you are picking accurate entries from the food database. Read the various stickies at the top of each forum for more helpful tips.

Sometimes we just "gain" cause we are due a poo.

BUT... if you know your tracking is solid and your water intake is good and you have been patient and watching the trend for weeks and you are still not losing the way you'd expect you should, going to the doctor and having bloodwork or whatever done is the next step.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Is there any sort of sticky anywhere about "weight loss is not linear"?? In no way meaning to be rude, but there are so many people just starting this journey who gets so freaked out about these weight fluctuations and have no idea that it's absolutely normal! I feel like people who be so much more successful if they were taught this before they started this journey/lifestyle change. I am sure there are so many people who are excited to see the scale decrease and the minute it jumps back up, they give up and end up right back where they started. Really, does anybody know if there's a sticky anywhere?
  • cdenae79
    Options
    I am going to make an appointment with my doctor to get bloodwork and a total check up done. I am drinking 8-10 cups of water a day and staying between 1500-1900 calories a day. I no longer drink soda and avoid sweets totally. I even gave up my beloved Pumpkin Pie and Pecan Pie at Thanksgiving. I wonder if I am retaining water for some reason.