Fitness Trackers?

Options
What is you favorite wearable fitness tracker, and why? Does anyone have one with a hr monitor built in? Mapping capability? Links to a scale?
Currently, I'm using separate devices to track food, read my HR, map the path I took, calculate calories and steps, and then weigh myself. I would like to get something that is more all-in-one for Christmas, and I need a new scale (would love one that links up!), but I'm wondering if I should I just wait for the Fitbit Charge HR or the Surge to come out. Something compatible with MFP would be awesome.

What do you use?

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit but don't sync it to MFP. I use my iPhone and Nike+ running to track my running mileage, pace, etc. I use MFP for exercise and food tracking. I really enjoy the fitbit flex but am definately thinking about upgrading to the Charge HR when it become available. Either that or I am thinking about getting a Garmin with wireless HR monitor. Not sure yet and in no rush to change what I am doing....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio....so they won't be built into current activity trackers. Polar Loops....you buy the activity tracker (separately) that connects to their HRM for cardio workouts.

I have a FitBit One that I use during the day, it tracks sleep. If your cardio workout is step based the calorie estimate for FitBit One isn't too bad. I wear a Polar Ft4 for non-step based cardio (every so often)....I can add calories in addition to my FitBit (if I want).

I'm not sure if the FitBit Charge HR would be worth it to me. Based upon HRM's limitations....I would wait for reviews.
  • jennilsf
    jennilsf Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    I use a fitbit but don't sync it to MFP. I use my iPhone and Nike+ running to track my running mileage, pace, etc. I use MFP for exercise and food tracking. I really enjoy the fitbit flex but am definately thinking about upgrading to the Charge HR when it become available. Either that or I am thinking about getting a Garmin with wireless HR monitor. Not sure yet and in no rush to change what I am doing....
    That's anothr question I have- some people don't sync theirs to MFP. Any reason?
    What do you like about the Garmin HR, that it has the HR, or are there other functions you like?
  • arijaycomet
    Options
    When it comes to smart scales, check out my thoughts on those HERE. I'm a big fan of the Fitbit software, and their integration with MFP is some of the best. If that is the route you go, then one of their trackers would be ideal.

Since you mention a HRM and taking that data with you- the Fitbit Charge HR will be a great option when it comes out. Being that most people don't want a separate HR strap, the Charge HR will make it easier for most. But it does have its limitations, and will have to deal with the headaches you have using an optical monitor (chest straps are more robust, typically).

One of my favorite combinations would be the Garmin Vivosmart with a heart rate monitor. It offers some neat features (notifications, etc) and the battery lasts a solid week. My vivosmart review from some time ago is RIGHT HERE.

Hope this helps! - Ari
  • jennilsf
    Options
    Awesome, thanks Ari!
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jennilsf wrote: »
    dougii wrote: »
    That's anothr question I have- some people don't sync theirs to MFP. Any reason?
    What do you like about the Garmin HR, that it has the HR, or are there other functions you like?

I have a Garmin 15 which is an activity tracker and a HRM. I like it because I can look at all the details of my exercise on Garmin Connect and it really gives some great feedback. The reason I don't link Garmin to MFP is there are too many variables unaccounted for in the C.O. portion of CICO to get an accurate number. (lifting weights,HIIT Cardio etc..) I use the TDEE method from IIFYM to set my macros---Hope this helps
  • Pedalforever
    Pedalforever Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a watch with a heart rate monitor in it, I don't like it cause it doesn't work half the time. So I just bought a Garmin Vivofit with the heart rate band, I like the band a lot better works great when I'm on the bike, I have five zones to train in and the calorie count is more accurate. I sync everything to my tablet. The one thing I didn't like was, I have an Android and my operating version wasn't new enough to get the Garmin app. I needed a 4.3 or better version plus a 4.0 bluetooth. my phone is outdated and I couldn't even get a firm ware update, So I bought a tablet that had the operating platform I needed. So far I'm really liking this.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio....so they won't be built into current activity trackers.

HEart Rate Monitors are designed for Heart Rate Monitoring. As far as calorie approximation is concerned you're nearly correct. The algorithms for calorie estimation are at their most accurate when one is training in the aerobic zone with minimal HR transition.

It's not as monochrome as you're fond of making it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jennilsf wrote: »
    I would like to get something that is more all-in-one for Christmas

A couple of Garmin GPS tracking watches now have pedometer capability as well, I think Polar and Suunto make one that has the same.

Clearly they're all coming at it from the more complex technology perspective, so integrating a pedometer is a lot easier than adding a GPS to a pedometer.

Personally I don't see the point in a step counter, so I use a Garmin 310XT GPS with HRM.

Notwithstanding all of that I'd personally suggest looking at dcrainmaker.com for his reviews of what's out there.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Look at the new Polar M400 and check out the review from dcrainmaker. A great device that does much more than just activity tracking.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    Look at the new Polar M400 and check out the review from dcrainmaker. A great device that does much more than just activity tracking.

This is Polar's version of the GarminFR15 which DCrainmaker also reviewed
  • jennilsf
    Options
    Ok, great! I'll check those out. Thinking the Fitbit Charge HR might be enough of my criteria to be ok. Going to look harder at the Garmin since that's come up several times here. I've been looking at some sites- one that uses a bar graph visual to compare, and some that are set up like consumer reports, but I worry about how much of those reviews are just sponsored by a brand which puts that particular one in the best light. Figured you guys would be a better gauge. Thanks so much, again, to everyone adding input.
    I have a watch with a heart rate monitor in it, I don't like it cause it doesn't work half the time. So I just bought a Garmin Vivofit with the heart rate band, I like the band a lot better works great when I'm on the bike, I have five zones to train in and the calorie count is more accurate. I sync everything to my tablet. The one thing I didn't like was, I have an Android and my operating version wasn't new enough to get the Garmin app. I needed a 4.3 or better version plus a 4.0 bluetooth. my phone is outdated and I couldn't even get a firm ware update, So I bought a tablet that had the operating platform I needed. So far I'm really liking this.
    This is a good point also- I have an Android and hadn't even considered compatibility there. But I have a newer version, so maybe it won't be an issue. I wish I was more tech-savvy! LOL I love gadgets, but theres so many variables and new stuff constantly coming out to keep in mind. :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »

This is Polar's version of the GarminFR15 which DCrainmaker also reviewed

Here is the comparison tool from dcrainmaker:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=31280,37200#results

What really sets them apart for me is the navigation tool in the M400 (finding your way back home when running through wilderness); the custom workouts and interval modes in the M400 and the M400 has an altimeter, great for hiking.

Stef.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love my SHINE...doesn't do all that some do, but it does exactly what I need it to do....mainly motivate me to move more each and every day. I love that it's waterproof, doesn't need to be charged, and it is actually pretty...looks like fine jewelry.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just got a TomTom Cardio runner. It has Gps, HRM, pace count, and time. I like it. It was hard trying to find one that did GPS and HRM. I like it because it syncs with MapMyRun (which then sync to MFP for me). It's pretty pricey though :(
  • jennilsf
    Options
    MamaP47 wrote: »
    I just got a TomTom Cardio runner. It has Gps, HRM, pace count, and time. I like it. It was hard trying to find one that did GPS and HRM. I like it because it syncs with MapMyRun (which then sync to MFP for me). It's pretty pricey though :(
    Ooh! That one sounds like something I'd like! Might be worth the spend. :)
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    check out the Microsoft Band... I've been using one for a couple of weeks now. Heart rate, GPS, stepcount and wireless connectivity to your smart phone. Automatically uploads workout data to MFP. also tells you when you get a message, tells the weather and does all sorts of fun extras. all displayed on a touchscreen on the band itself. Batter life isn't great but I find that charging mine in the car on my way to work keeps it full and I don't miss anything.

Love it
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Jawbone Up3 out next month. It's the result of their BodyMedia acquisition, and will have BodyMedia sensors plus additional functionality. Apparently not all of the functionality will be operational out of the box, but more, like 24 hour heart rate monitoring, will be coming through firmware updates.

Be careful of wrist-worn heart rate monitoring which uses light pulse technology (like .the new Fitbits) .. If you have dark skin, or you aren't comfortable wearing the band tight enough to exclude ambient light, then it won't be remotely accurate.

The Up3 uses bioimpedence instead, which hopefully won't have the same problems. Also, it's waterproof up to 10 meters.
  • captjac97
    captjac97 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for a good fitness tracker. I would like to sync it with MFP. I am looking specifically for one that counts steps, monitors HR (to at least give me a good idea), and works to help me as I am in the gym to more accurately count my calories. I am seeing some great information. When does the new Fitbit Charge HR coming out?
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    captjac97 wrote: »
    I am also looking for a good fitness tracker. I would like to sync it with MFP. I am looking specifically for one that counts steps, monitors HR (to at least give me a good idea), and works to help me as I am in the gym to more accurately count my calories. I am seeing some great information. When does the new Fitbit Charge HR coming out?

The Microsoft Band does all of those things and more. I couldn't be happier with it