Ladies - Workout clothes?

Options

Replies

• Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My workout clothes come mainly from Sports Direct, Primark, and Ebay.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Under Armour is about all I wear. I like how it fits, performs, lasts, looks. I take care of my gear and wash it is lye free soap, I toss pieces for being bored with them before I've ever tossed something over being faded or worn out. I shop at Sports Authority and UA online a lot, if I like something I get it regardless of price, but I definitely go through the end of season clearance racks and stock up for my boys, they're harder on stuff and it still lasts.
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Either old college or old navy tees and silkies (military PT shorts I get from my husband)…the shirts cost $15 or less and the silkies are about $10…I have to be honest though, I am not big on my gym appearance, I get in, get sweaty, and get out
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Primark and H&M are my go tos for cheap workout gear, but I have to say that Sweaty Betty is actually worth the money if you work out every day (and buy in the sale).

I have two pairs of their yoga leggings and they are completely opaque, feel great and still look brand new after six months of wearing them at least 2 times a week (each pair).

I'm going back in the next sale to get more.

Plus once you're a customer you get access to their free in-store classes.
  • audsLDN
    audsLDN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Karrimor from Sports Direct is fine for bottoms and usually two for £16 or thereabouts. My branded stuff is from John Lewis as I get a discount and tops from sample sales so super cheap. Bras are from Primark as I tend to put on and lose fat from around that area first.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The Champion brand at Target is identical to UnderArmour and a third of the price (at least for men's stuff).
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    SpecialSundae - I do love the Sweaty Betty range! I am currently 'paying' myself for each gym session I do (£1 each time I go), and I'm going to use the money I 'save' to buy some new gym gear... will definitely look at their sale range etc, and might ask for a couple of pieces as Christmas presents ;)
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ross is my fave go to for cheap workout wear. The XL section is always the smallest, so you have check back often, but you can good, name brand stuff at half (or sometimes less) of retail price.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    I like my gym gear to be very compact, because I often transport it in the normal handbag I take to work. I get cotton tank tops and men's swim trunks (board shorts) from M&S. Swim trunks, being nylon, squish to a negligible size. Not well endowed, so work out braless.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka - I know perfectly well how to apply mascara and eyeliner... unfortunately, the whole red face and sweaty side of things kinda ruins the effect. I have never seen, in the gym I use, a woman work out hard and look fantastic at the end of the session, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all ;)

it's not perfect- but still looking good. After over an hour of powerlifting and 20 or so on the stairmaster.
    2014-07-04_135108_zpscf81d1b5.jpg

My beef is the fact no one cares how busted you are when you walk in.
    No one ares if you don't match. No one cares if you're shirt is holey- or your sweats are grease stained- or your pony tail is on sideways and half falling out.

But lord help me if I wear some make up and I just so happen to match my clothes up.
    it's A. not that hard- takes no more effort to pull something that matches vs something that doesn't and B. none of your damn business what it is what's on my face and nothing on my face impacts my workout. It also doesn't impact yours.

I should start a thread complaining about all the ugly "can't be bothered because I'm working to hard" people I have to watch... how well do you think that would end?

• lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ditto the Danskin from Walmart. I've also gotten some good ones at Old Navy.
  • Rodderick89
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm unsure why you've taken what I posted so personally - my point is that I don't go to the gym to look good during a workout, I go to burn calories, get stronger and increase my fitness levels. I started this thread to ask about recommendations for good workout clothes that are fit for purpose and comfortable (for me, that means non-clingy), not debate your personal makeup wearing choices. I too wear 'matching' gym clothes and am usually wearing a little makeup as I go to the gym straight from work.. the difference is (like yourself) I go to the gym to work hard and sweat, not to parade around, loiter around men in the free weights section giggling and flicking my hair, applying lipgloss, taking pouty selfies holding pink dumbells then bounce around on a swiss ball whilst texting - these are all things I've seen heavily makeup clad women do at the gym this past week alone!

However, as you've taken the time to post, I'll reply - In regards to all you've said - for me personally, despite the fact that I really don't care how I look at the gym, as per my statement above, even wearing eyeliner and mascara wouldn't detract from the red face, sweaty look I rock after a full hard workout. In your 'after workout' photo, you do look a bit pinker and flushed, but not a red faced sweat ball like I usually do - even at my fittest I have always gone bright red after a few minutes of exercise. Equally, you're eyeliner/mascara combo isn't what I was referring to in an earlier post about girls wearing makeup to workout...

Whilst I really do not care about what others look like (I completely agree - what someone wears on their face impacts neither their or my workouts), it still makes me laugh to see women in FULL makeup (orange foundation, blusher, false eyelashes, lipstick) and perfectly done hair (i.e. not up in a bun/ponytail, some other updo for anti-sweat) and then sit and do 20 minutes of half hearted cardio, whilst chatting on their phones, before leaving...!

Ultimately, gyms are for working out, not looking "pretty"! If you happen to look glam whilst working out then *go you* (in a genuine, non-sarcastic way) because I for one certainly do not... and I happen to like it that way =]

• azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Target has some really good workout wear for a fair price. Many of my workout tees come from there (I like the ones that do have some cotton in them, not all polyester). Also, Kohls is good. If you have places like Marshalls or TJ Maxx, try there. I recently got some really cute workout leggings from TJ Maxx for twenty dollars. I prefer to wear tees with leggings (either capri or full length) these days, but I do have one or two pairs of yoga pants that still fit me. Oh! Costco is also a good place to try, if you have one near you.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka - I know perfectly well how to apply mascara and eyeliner... unfortunately, the whole red face and sweaty side of things kinda ruins the effect. I have never seen, in the gym I use, a woman work out hard and look fantastic at the end of the session, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all ;)
    I should start a thread complaining about all the ugly "can't be bothered because I'm working to hard" people I have to watch... how well do you think that would end?

tumblr_lrr2jc1k8n1qkmpj8o1_500.gif
  • Rodderick89
    edited November 2014
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

tumblr_lrr2jc1k8n1qkmpj8o1_500.gif

I can see it catching on actually... we could post candid photos or sweaty selfies, perhaps turn it into a competition like this one..

http://www.12minuteathlete.com/sweaty-workout-photo-contest-results/
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm unsure why you've taken what I posted so personally - my point is that I don't go to the gym to look good during a workout, I go to burn calories, get stronger and increase my fitness levels. I started this thread to ask about recommendations for good workout clothes that are fit for purpose and comfortable (for me, that means non-clingy), not debate your personal makeup wearing choices. I too wear 'matching' gym clothes and am usually wearing a little makeup as I go to the gym straight from work.. the difference is (like yourself) I go to the gym to work hard and sweat, not to parade around, loiter around men in the free weights section giggling and flicking my hair, applying lipgloss, taking pouty selfies holding pink dumbells then bounce around on a swiss ball whilst texting - these are all things I've seen heavily makeup clad women do at the gym this past week alone!

However, as you've taken the time to post, I'll reply - In regards to all you've said - for me personally, despite the fact that I really don't care how I look at the gym, as per my statement above, even wearing eyeliner and mascara wouldn't detract from the red face, sweaty look I rock after a full hard workout. In your 'after workout' photo, you do look a bit pinker and flushed, but not a red faced sweat ball like I usually do - even at my fittest I have always gone bright red after a few minutes of exercise. Equally, you're eyeliner/mascara combo isn't what I was referring to in an earlier post about girls wearing makeup to workout...

Whilst I really do not care about what others look like (I completely agree - what someone wears on their face impacts neither their or my workouts), it still makes me laugh to see women in FULL makeup (orange foundation, blusher, false eyelashes, lipstick) and perfectly done hair (i.e. not up in a bun/ponytail, some other updo for anti-sweat) and then sit and do 20 minutes of half hearted cardio, whilst chatting on their phones, before leaving...!

Ultimately, gyms are for working out, not looking "pretty"! If you happen to look glam whilst working out then *go you* (in a genuine, non-sarcastic way) because I for one certainly do not... and I happen to like it that way =]

Well you seem very amicable about this- which is nice (not snark- it is)... but the reason why I take it personally is because it's just such a trite thing to complain about- and ultimately what someone chooses to do with their gym membership fee and how they chose to use it- just really isn't my or your business. I wear more eye make up than normal- I'm a bellydancer- I LIKE make up- I will never apologize for wearing it. I also have to make sure my make up holds up to sweat- like real honest to god sweat... if it's running down your face- *kitten* aint cute when you're trying to entertain someone over dinner- or you got paid a lot of money to make someone's wedding special. So it chaps my a@@ when this subject comes up... because it's such a none issue.

Ultimately I don't care if you come in wearing a ball gown and pull out a lounge chair and read a book. Sure I'm going to giggle- and wonder wtf- but really - you pay dues to use the facility- as long as you aren't hogging equipment or walking into my while I'm lifting? meh- do whatever you want.

Perhaps it's the only time out of the house that person has? Maybe they have an abuseive relationship and that's the only freedom they are allowed?
    Maybe they have a billion kids and never can talk to anyone?

Let them bounce on the ball and wear their orange bronzer- their lack of results doesn't impact you at all.

I'm with you on the picture thread... I'd totally be down to vote for an ugly betty competition thread LOL- I have had some not so pretty faces- I even have a body weight workout video- it's about 12 min long on my channel- and man- it's NOT pretty.
    I mean- I'm fabulous- but sometimes fabulous needs a break. (cough cough)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    http://www.12minuteathlete.com/290-rep-muscle-building-challenge-workout/

I kind of like her set up- I used to do a lot of these work outs- but WHY for the love all all things holy- why would you only do 290 reps. it should be 300. seriously.

Grumble- OCD rounding pet peeve.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    and i'm going to add one more quick thought- because I haven't started a new movie yet....

the assumption that comes with "ew girls at the gym with make up" kind of attitude are that they don't work hard- and it often comes because there is a lack of sweat- or red face... but the reality is not everyone there is busting out cardio (which often leads to both of those things)- I'm a lifter. I sweat but it's not like when I get on the stairmaster- two different games- and it's just annoying to have people assume you're not working hard because you aren't dripping sweat or have the "appearence" of hard work.

okay- sorry- I'm rambling- I'm putting on a new show- I promise. No more internet for me. I already got eaten by youtube today...

seriously
    this happened
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1mj_wOJ80
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have numerous pairs of sweat shorts I use and a tank with tee. I would definitely hit Amazon or Wallyworld.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    JoRocka, I get what you're trying to say.

I don't wear makeup, but I don't just wear any old t-shirt and sweats to the gym either. First of all, I hate working out in cotton (just feels icky) and I like buying cute running and workout clothes (it's usually a reward and motivation). I'm usually working out after work so my face is still primed, hair still done, etc. Looking good makes me want to work out harder because I feel good! The fact that anyone might judge me for that as "not working out as hard as them" is total BS.