I've been stagnate for a week and I fear that I might be eating too few calories if i cut some more

Options
Ok guys. I need help

Here are my stats: 5'9" male, 187lbs, 2000 calorie diet

I lift weights in the morning and at night i do some cardio which according to the combined eliptical/treadmill i burn about 450 or so calories...these are pretty much steady state cardio...i used to play basketball a lot but due to my messed up knee, i have to do this to get my cardiovascular activity.

I eat around 2000 calories per day on a high fat, low carb diet. This is the first time i've tried this and it seems to work. I have a problem with fluctuating weight bcuz like all of us..i enjoy food but ever since last year i've been on a downward trend from 220 to now 187. I want to get back to 175lb. I've been stuck on 187 for about a week now which is weird bcuz i hit 186 last week and kept the same amount of calories.

This leads me to a conclusion that i should drop my calories. But at the same time I don't want to eat too few calories. I'm not even sure if i'm eating enough calories as it is.

So what do u guys think? Should I drop my calories? or should i actually eat more calories bcuz my metabolism has slowed down and i should rev it back up? Or is this normal and i should stick to what i'm doing and eventually the weight should start going down again.

My future plan is to hit 175 then slowly increase calories so that i can build more muscle. I want to start that by January if possible.

Thanks in advance guys.

Replies

• karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I am stuck at a weight for a week or two, doesn't mean what you are doing isn't working. Just give it a little time, longer than a week I'd say. then look at it again :) good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A week is nothing - it happens

Just keep on going its the overall trend you're looking for

Look at your weight loss reports over different time frames - a week, a month, 6 months
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You won't lose every single week. If it keeps there for a month or more, then reevaluate your logging.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It's been a week??

Chill.
  • sazzyanne14
    sazzyanne14 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. As long as the pattern shows you're losing then you're fine.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    stuck for a week?? that's nothing....i get stuck for a month sometimes or even up to two months (currently)...remember there is no finish line..it'll eventually move in your favor if you're doing your CICO math correctly. And the more you stress about it, the longer it seems...chill, in knowing you're doing what you're supposed to do. One thing that made the scale jump for me after a month of not losing was adding an additional 10 minutes of Tabata Jump rope a day to a whole month in August...blew off 6 lbs that month...the Hiit of the jumping rope must have helped...every little bit counts.
  • AlexDaFelix
    AlexDaFelix Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies guys. it just freaked me out after losing it consistently. I'll wait some more time and see how it works out. I feel good so, I'll see how it all works out. It's just for some odd reason in my head...going below 2000 calories is kinda scary. don't know y...just don't want to go too low...that and i like to eat lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A week isn't long enough to be considered stuck, just keep doing what you've been doing.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    It's been a week??

Chill.

This.

I've been stuck for 4 weeks before. Refused to change my calorie goal because...well I like food too much. In the end it started dropping back down by itself anyway.

Relax. Give it a bit longer before you drop cals.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Like others, a week isn't much time. wait it out.

However, I weigh less than you and I probably work out less, and I eat 2000 calories to lose. Chances are you can eat more than you are eating now, or at least your goal can be higher. I recommend buying a food scale so you can get a more accurate idea of your true intake; you might be eating more than you think, which can help you better figure out your true TDEE.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    m3alex wrote: »
    thanks for the replies guys. it just freaked me out after losing it consistently. I'll wait some more time and see how it works out. I feel good so, I'll see how it all works out. It's just for some odd reason in my head...going below 2000 calories is kinda scary. don't know y...just don't want to go too low...that and i like to eat lol

My weight loss graph looks like the steps of a public building built on a hill: a series of fairly even steps down, then a long flat place, then another series of steps, then a long flat place, etc. My stalls have typically lasted 3 weeks each, then the loss started up again. It happens and is a natural part of losing weight. Make sure you are weighing, measuring, and logging correctly and, if you are, just relax and wait it out.

58841349.png