DOMS and recovery exercise...

Options
My leg DOMS (from friday leg day) is INTENSE to say the least. Should i go do an hour of low intensity on the elliptical as recovery, or just relax for the rest of the day?

Thanks!

Replies

• ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I gravitate towards jogging myself, but I'm sure the elliptical will give the same effect. Also, foam roller - get it, use it! It's like your own deep tissue massage. Probably the best $20 I've spent on anything related to fitness.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I gravitate towards jogging myself, but I'm sure the elliptical will give the same effect. Also, foam roller - get it, use it! It's like your own deep tissue massage. Probably the best $20 I've spent on anything related to fitness.

i would 100% go for a jog if it wasnt dark and in the 40s here...can't do treadmills anymore, hate the ones at my new gym, no bounce to the platform at all. and i have a roller, i HATE HATE HATE IT. HATE IT. I've tried sooooo hard to use it, but i ju'tst cant. i wish.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I forget it's not sunny everywhere sometimes, sorry :) I'm sure an hour on the elliptical is more than sufficient. Half hour would be just fine. The foam roller sucks less with consistent use, at least for me. Except the inner thigh, that ALWAYS sucks!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but why couldn't you do half an hour of light exercise, rather than a full hour?
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    Call me crazy, but why couldn't you do half an hour of light exercise, rather than a full hour?

i can't remember the last time i only did 30min lol...maybe warming up haha...

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My leg DOMS (from friday leg day) is INTENSE to say the least. Should i go do an hour of low intensity on the elliptical as recovery, or just relax for the rest of the day?

Thanks!

I'll swim, or hop on my bike (on a trainer), or use the pain to focus better for my upper body stuff.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I say do the elliptical at a low intensity. I sometimes stream movies while I'm on the elliptical. Keeps me distracted for a good half hour. Have fun!
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    well, went to the gym and hopped on an arc trainer at a low intensity for 45 min, set it at level 3 out of 10, kept my HR around 115-120, and my legs don't really feel much better, but they don't feel any worse...guess i will see how it goes in the am

Thanks for the motivation all!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I recommend very low intensity stuff. I'll just go for a walk or a sslow bike ride normally. Otherwise, stretch/yoga type stuff (carefully) and don't forget to drink lots of water.
  • longtimeterp
    Options
    i didn't even think of the bike...even when i was there...much better idea, will def do that next time. And i must say, it was a little easier going down stairs after the gym then before i left, i'm going to have to remember this!
  • amiejoeb
    Options
    ok so I have been intensely working out and I worked late last night got home and my legs were killing me I realized my legs were super swollen (freaked me out) but the swelling is gone but I am scared to exercise again...do I need to just take it easy for a day or too or continue my normal amped up workout...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    I recommend very low intensity stuff. I'll just go for a walk or a sslow bike ride normally. Otherwise, stretch/yoga type stuff (carefully) and don't forget to drink lots of water.

Chris, what are your thoughts on concentric-only exercise for this situation since it's typically easier to recover from.