Losing 3lbs in a month?

Options
Well, after my failed attempt at losing 3lbs by Thanksgiving, I want to see if I can start today and lose it by Christmas. I started I made the goal on October 25th, which technically gave me a month and 2 days to lose it, but after weighing in today, I'm literally at the same place as I started. Right down to the oz. Now, I'm grateful that I didn't gain anything but very disappointed, because those 3-4lbs are all that I really need to lose. I'm at a generally healthy weight, but I feel like I just need to lose 3-4lbs.

I think maybe, if anything, I might be able to lose a pound of water weight by Thanksgiving, which would feel good because at least I'd see the number move. But right now, there's exactly a month until Christmas Eve and I guess that means I should really get focused. Who's with me? Does anyone have friendly reminders/suggestions? Also I'll take FR if you send a message so we can support each other :) I was feeling so sad this morning...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so if you've not lost any weight you're eating at maintenance?

do you weigh everything using scales?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    so if you've not lost any weight you're eating at maintenance?

do you weigh everything using scales?
    I'm pretty good about measuring and weighing throughout the week, but it's the weekend where things go out the window (with the exception of breakfast. I always have time to weigh breakfast no matter what). So that's another habit I should try to stop.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Making a goal a specific number is always a good way to fail. Weight should be a range. Sounds like you are in the range. And honestly, if you are already at a good/low weight, you probably won't lose much more - I'd go for 1/4 lb a week max. That way you'll keep more of your muscle and it'll be closer to what you should eat for life anyway.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's quite easy to completely blow your deficit out of water during the weekend; it's definitely happened to me! I weigh and measure my food every day of the week, regardless of whether it's a weekday or a weekend; even small miscalculations can mess up your weight loss when you have so little to lose. All the best!
  • PearlAng
    Options
    Making a goal a specific number is always a good way to fail. Weight should be a range. Sounds like you are in the range. And honestly, if you are already at a good/low weight, you probably won't lose much more - I'd go for 1/4 lb a week max. That way you'll keep more of your muscle and it'll be closer to what you should eat for life anyway.
    Hm, that seems pretty manageable. Thanks! I mean I guess I'll see some progress, but sometimes I get discouraged if I can't see progress.
  • PearlAng
    Options
    ASG_21 wrote: »
    It's quite easy to completely blow your deficit out of water during the weekend; it's definitely happened to me! I weigh and measure my food every day of the week, regardless of whether it's a weekday or a weekend; even small miscalculations can mess up your weight loss when you have so little to lose. All the best!
    Thank you :) I think one of the main problems of the weekend is my work schedule. It's no excuse, but I don't get a lunch break at my job. So usually I'll work out, eat a good, healthy breakfast and then go to work on the weekends. I work around food, but usually it's kinda easy to keep away. However, when I get hungry, sometimes it's easy to just grab a piece of cheese to eat and keep working. That'll leave me to estimate how many calories were in that slice of cheese. Then I'll get home and be hungry and it'll lead to the wrong choices. So, I think it would be better to get a lunch break, but I know there are ways around it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing? I didnt see any? Have you thought about lifting to get you more definition and increase strength?
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Thank you :) I think one of the main problems of the weekend is my work schedule. It's no excuse, but I don't get a lunch break at my job. So usually I'll work out, eat a good, healthy breakfast and then go to work on the weekends. I work around food, but usually it's kinda easy to keep away. However, when I get hungry, sometimes it's easy to just grab a piece of cheese to eat and keep working. That'll leave me to estimate how many calories were in that slice of cheese. Then I'll get home and be hungry and it'll lead to the wrong choices. So, I think it would be better to get a lunch break, but I know there are ways around it.

Not having a lunch break is difficult, but why not take some prepackaged quick things to eat during work hours? If you can grab a slice of cheese, then you can also probably bring some string cheese from home, or maybe a protein bar/granola bar/whatever suits your fancy that's quick and that you know the calorie information for. :) Personally, I would say that a protein bar (I love Quest bars, but any bar would probably be fine) or a couple of boiled eggs would be the most filling so you won't want to eat the house when you get home! ;)
  • PearlAng
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What exercise are you doing? I didnt see any? Have you thought about lifting to get you more definition and increase strength?
    Yes, I'm a big cardio person (and I know lifting is important) but right now I run/elliptical 7 days a week and I average about 2-3 days of lifting each week. Cardio lasts anywhere from 45 mins-1 hour a day, and lifting is usually around half an hour.
  • PearlAng
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »

Not having a lunch break is difficult, but why not take some prepackaged quick things to eat during work hours? If you can grab a slice of cheese, then you can also probably bring some string cheese from home, or maybe a protein bar/granola bar/whatever suits your fancy that's quick and that you know the calorie information for. :) Personally, I would say that a protein bar (I love Quest bars, but any bar would probably be fine) or a couple of boiled eggs would be the most filling so you won't want to eat the house when you get home! ;)
    Thank you :) I've done it before, but my boss gets weird about it. She'll look over at me and say "Oh? What's that?" or something along those lines. This technique could work for the days she's not there, though (which is sporadic). Usually I have an apple in my bag just in case, so maybe I can eat that when/if she leaves. It's a bad excuse I know, but I don't like her over my shoulder making me feel awkward for eating at work. Usually I'll just wait until she's out of sight or if she leaves to even eat that cheese.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Well apart from tightening up your logging you seem to be doing everything fine.
    If you are a healthy weight then tbh I would be far less fussed and you seem a bit preoccupied with weight, especially if it makes you sad. No idea on your stats, but depending what your deficit is intended to be, then it could be small margins. Is your weight within the healthy range on BMI?

You could look at your exercise and see if theres anything you ccould do to tighten that up. Try different forms and make sure your lifting is effective. Ask on the fitness forums for more ideas.
  • PearlAng
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Well apart from tightening up your logging you seem to be doing everything fine.
    If you are a healthy weight then tbh I would be far less fussed and you seem a bit preoccupied with weight, especially if it makes you sad. No idea on your stats, but depending what your deficit is intended to be, then it could be small margins. Is your weight within the healthy range on BMI?

You could look at your exercise and see if theres anything you ccould do to tighten that up. Try different forms and make sure your lifting is effective. Ask on the fitness forums for more ideas.
    Thank you for all of your helpful advice :) You're right, I'm 4'9 and my bmi is around 20.8 according to the nhlbi calculator (the first result on google). So yes, I'm healthy, and a bit preoccupied, unfortunately. I just feel like those last few pounds would be the icing on the cake, and I think it would really make me look nice.
  • SkpTex66
    SkpTex66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You do cardio 7 days a week for 45-60 minutes, and a couple times a week or so you do 30 minutes of lifting/strength training. You are at a healthy weight. I am just not sure the need to see the scale go down 3lbs. You might want to focus more on what exercises you are doing, and more body sculpting. However, either way, good luck to you.
  • PearlAng
    Options
    SkpTex66 wrote: »
    You do cardio 7 days a week for 45-60 minutes, and a couple times a week or so you do 30 minutes of lifting/strength training. You are at a healthy weight. I am just not sure the need to see the scale go down 3lbs. You might want to focus more on what exercises you are doing, and more body sculpting. However, either way, good luck to you.
    Well, thank you :)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SkpTex66 wrote: »

i agree, some recomp would benefit you a lot more than just losing 3 or 4 pounds.