strength exercise

Options
Hi,
can anyone help me with knee and back strengthening exercise.
Have injured it due to excessive use of treadmill

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Help plzzz
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jmzz1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    can anyone help me with knee and back strengthening exercise.
    Have injured it due to excessive use of treadmill

what advice have you got from your doctor?
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    go see a dr.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    I did see an orthopaedic doctor and he said it must be calcium deficiency and gave me calcium as well as vitamin D tablet.

I want to strengthen those parta now through exercise. Which exercise is suitable for it
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above... though personally I would see a physiotherapist or sports therapist rather than a GP as they have day-to-day in treating exercise-related injuries.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I did see an orthopaedic doctor and he said it must be calcium deficiency and gave me calcium as well as vitamin D tablet.

I want to strengthen those parta now through exercise. Which exercise is suitable for it

he didnt tell you what exercises to do or refer you to a physiotherapist?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    I do not have a sports doctor or a physiotherapists in my area so went to orthopaedic doctor.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above... though personally I would see a physiotherapist or sports therapist rather than a GP as they have day-to-day in treating exercise-related injuries.

This. They work with injuries day in & day out and will be able to give you the best advice out of anyone.
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    After I had knee surgery my physiotherapist recommended resistance band exercises. Just push yourself as hard as is comfortable, don't strength train to the point of feeling pain. The resistance bands are great for this because they're all about increasing your range of motion while building back some strength. You can find plenty of exercises online and can probably find a resistance band at a local sports store.

You also want to focus on strengthening the muscles around the knee that support it. So look for bodyweight exercises that target your hamstrings, quads, and calves. I don't suggest using weights with any of these exercises, start with bodyweight and see how it feels, you don't want to exacerbate the problem.

The biggest thing though is probably rest. I injured my wrist a couple of weeks ago. I tried to keep it immobilized while still doing my normal strength routine and it just never got the chance to heal. I had to take 2 weeks off for it to properly heal.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You might want to look into your stride and consider forefoot strikes vs. heel strikes.
    Also, the treadmill at an incline is probably easier on your knees.

As for your back, check out exrx.net.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    I have stopped using treadmill. I first want to concentrate on strengthening my muscles. So wanted help to strengthen my back n knee muscles since I do not have a physiotherapists in my area
  • jmzz1
    Options
    After I had knee surgery my physiotherapist recommended resistance band exercises. Just push yourself as hard as is comfortable, don't strength train to the point of feeling pain. The resistance bands are great for this because they're all about increasing your range of motion while building back some strength. You can find plenty of exercises online and can probably find a resistance band at a local sports store.

You also want to focus on strengthening the muscles around the knee that support it. So look for bodyweight exercises that target your hamstrings, quads, and calves. I don't suggest using weights with any of these exercises, start with bodyweight and see how it feels, you don't want to exacerbate the problem.

The biggest thing though is probably rest. I injured my wrist a couple of weeks ago. I tried to keep it immobilized while still doing my normal strength routine and it just never got the chance to heal. I had to take 2 weeks off for it to properly heal.
    Could you help me with the specific knee exercise which you have been following
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Help please
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Help please

so the doctor just said 'take some calcium' and didnt say anything about exercises and you didnt ask?
  • jmzz1
    Options
    He said consult ur gym trainer and the worst part my gym does not have a proper trainer
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You really do need a physio - your back issues could be caused by a number of things that aren't about your back (e.g. abs, hips, hammys) and your knee issues could by an IT band issue (common with runners - that one is usually helped by foam rolling). But it could be something else.
    - Try looking up Kelly Starrett on youtube, you might find some mobility exercises that help
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    wtf? TS (or OP) - where the heck are you?

and this was a MD- medical doctor - not some other new agey, untrained monkey?

1) find a new doctor
    2) wash, rince, repeat.

without knowing your med history, advice could be harmful. Start with an appropriate health care professional and go from there.

this isn't a time to stop looking for the proper, professional diagnosis and treatment. you're not done. just tired. so you gotta. it's really safest for you.