Are some people doomed to obesity? - The science of weight loss

Options
Great article in this week's New Scientist on the science of individual differences in weight loss and weight gain. They start with the perennial question of why someone people seem to be able to eat what they want and not put on weight.

I have always believed that I have put on weight because I eat too much, not because anything is faulty with my metabolism. The article backs this up and debunks a few Myths such as 'Skinny people have higher metabolisms,' 'Thin people digest less food' and 'Dieting permanently reduces your metabolic rate.'

However, I have also thought there may be biological reasons why I eat too much. The article comes up with intriguing evidence. When researchers give study participants too much to eat, the thin and fat people respond differently. Thin people naturally adjust their food intake, eat less and become more active. Fat people don't. In fact, the food makes them sluggish and less active. This finding really chimes with me. My body does have a mechanisms that naturally regulates what I eat, but it's quite easy to break that mechanism and bury it in food. The natural regulation only starts when I have been eating healthily for a while.

My conclusion is that I (and hopefully you too) am not doomed to obesity. But I have to work a little harder than others to avoid overeating. I have to work harder to listen to my body, and wait a little longer for the feeling of fullness. Although the work is getting easier.

If this stuff is interesting to you or you have similar experiences would love to hear from you or receive friend requests.

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Is there a link to it? Or is it just on paper?
  • onelentilatatime
    onelentilatatime Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Oishii wrote: »
    Is there a link to it? Or is it just on paper?

I only have it on paper. Sorry.
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Nice summary though. Thanks.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    New Scientist is a non-peer reviewed "journal". Essentially scientific tabloid.

Use a large grain of salt.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is what I believe, intuitively, to be true too. Thank you for the review.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have to sweat it out if you want to lose weight. It will happen if you want it to happen. You are the one deciding how would you want yourself be. Are you gonna let it lead you to obesity? You should have a goal to be fit and healthy and a will to finish the race.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    qRCAzsk.jpg
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    How many obese PoWs were there in Burma during WWII and how many obese Jews and Roma in Auschwitz or Dachau?

So, no.

They needed to check their thin-privilege.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article, but it sounds interesting and fits with what I see. Some people do seem to be naturally slim, and it's not because they're permanently dieting. There does seem to be quite a big genetic component to the tendency to obesity. People born underweight are more likely to become obese later too. I think it's good to be aware that there are genetic/biological factors, and it's not the same experience for everybody - some of us WILL have to work harder. I think that's useful to know. And encouraging that we're not doomed!
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    I haven't read the article, but it sounds interesting and fits with what I see. Some people do seem to be naturally slim, and it's not because they're permanently dieting. There does seem to be quite a big genetic component to the tendency to obesity. People born underweight are more likely to become obese later too. I think it's good to be aware that there are genetic/biological factors, and it's not the same experience for everybody - some of us WILL have to work harder. I think that's useful to know. And encouraging that we're not doomed!

and you hit the nail on the head, "some of us WILL have to work harder". But as stated no one can't lost weight, it takes effort no matter who you are, but mostly people are lazy and then they blame genetics.......... its not genetics its laziness
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Great article in this week's New Scientist on the science of individual differences in weight loss and weight gain. They start with the perennial question of why someone people seem to be able to eat what they want and not put on weight.

I have always believed that I have put on weight because I eat too much, not because anything is faulty with my metabolism. The article backs this up and debunks a few Myths such as 'Skinny people have higher metabolisms,' 'Thin people digest less food' and 'Dieting permanently reduces your metabolic rate.'

However, I have also thought there may be biological reasons why I eat too much. The article comes up with intriguing evidence. When researchers give study participants too much to eat, the thin and fat people respond differently. Thin people naturally adjust their food intake, eat less and become more active. Fat people don't. In fact, the food makes them sluggish and less active. This finding really chimes with me. My body does have a mechanisms that naturally regulates what I eat, but it's quite easy to break that mechanism and bury it in food. The natural regulation only starts when I have been eating healthily for a while.

My conclusion is that I (and hopefully you too) am not doomed to obesity. But I have to work a little harder than others to avoid overeating. I have to work harder to listen to my body, and wait a little longer for the feeling of fullness. Although the work is getting easier.

If this stuff is interesting to you or you have similar experiences would love to hear from you or receive friend requests.

Just out of interest why have you thought there were biological reasons you eat too much? is it because you have overweight people in your family? I tend to believe that obesity is more related to what we are taught rather than genetics but I'm open to science that may prove otherwise.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, it usually involves a lot of excuses. Those are doomed to obesity. And a very few with genetic disorders. Some have to work a LOT harder than others but doomed? I don't think so.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Doomed, no, I don't believe this is true, at least for most people. It takes effort and perseverance to succeed. Once you have achieved your weight goal, it takes effort and perseverance to stay @ a healthy weight. That is true across the board, whether you have lost 100's of pounds or just a few pounds. The statistics for regaining the weight you have lost, and often times even more, are staggeringly high. Some people eat to live, others live to eat. I am one who lives to eat, hence my becoming morbidly obese and my struggling to stay at a "normal" weight. For me it is a lifetime commitment now. I don't think people are lazy, I think there are a multitude of reasons that enter into eating habits and it is hard. Some of us have to constantly monitor ourselves. Arriving at maintenance is only the beginning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    glenmchale wrote: »
    Vailara wrote: »

and you hit the nail on the head, "some of us WILL have to work harder". But as stated no one can't lost weight, it takes effort no matter who you are, but mostly people are lazy and then they blame genetics.......... its not genetics its laziness

I think that was the point of the article though... that it's harder for some people than others. And I definitely agree with that... or there wouldn't be so many obese people, IMO. I know some 'naturally thin people' - they have a much better notion of moderation than me. They don't eat much at all compared to me (ok, they don't exercise, but still). It's easy for them to stop after a small piece of something... for me, not so much. So obviously it will be easier for them to lose weight if they have to. What's interesting though is finding the reason why some of us tend to overeat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The thing about someone who has been heavy their whole life, is they look at someone who is thin, and automatically think it's easy. It's not. It takes an incredible amount of effort every single day to maintain that. It takes dedication, discipline, and very hard work. I tell people all the time that if you followed me around for a week and saw the amount of energy I put into my food and exercise, most people would freak out. It's a lot of damn work. It makes you wonder if it's even worth it. It's close to crazy-town. But, it gets results and I don't mind it. But, it's very difficult to go from zero to 60 in one day. I've been at this game for years now. I've slowly worked up into it and it's a lifestyle for me.

I would suggest that you not read articles that say it's not your fault ;that you are pre-destined to be fat; and set-point theory. It's complete crap. It's not based on science or research.

I see some here saying, "that seems right" or "that seems intuitive". Bull crap. It's dead wrong. If you are basically healthy, eating food at a moderate deficit will get you losing weight. It's that simple. You are not genetically pre-destined to be fat.

Did the article say 'it's not your fault'?? I can't see the article, but from the OP it didn't seem to be about "fault" at all.

It is easier for some people. I would think that should be obvious to everyone. Many factors can make it easier or harder to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Genetics, family, environment, lifestyle, disease, injury, ... the list is very long. None of that means it can't be done. But it's not hard work for everyone, and it's not easy for everyone. What is considered 'hard' or 'easy' isn't even going to be the same for everyone.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    well, I have some skinny *ss friends who really can eat, and do eat a LOT. Much more than me - and they never worry about their clothes not fitting.

As they get older, they worry more - but, when we were all young together, - not a problem. As an example - one friend ate 6 lobsters, and several dozen clams - at a party. I ate one, and 2 clams. She burns it off, and I don't.

Exercise expenditure - could be part of it. My friends aren't lazy. they work and play hard. I do believe a key ingredient is moving - the more we move, the less we have to track or care.

But I also saw recently on one of the news broadcasts, a mention of a research study that if we have overweight parents, it's genetically built into us that we'll suffer similarly. So, is it the drive to move that's part of our dna mapping?

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    glenmchale wrote: »
    qRCAzsk.jpg

<3
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that picture set sums it up super well.

Good job McHale.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    well, I have some skinny *ss friends who really can eat, and do eat a LOT. Much more than me - and they never worry about their clothes not fitting.

As they get older, they worry more - but, when we were all young together, - not a problem. As an example - one friend ate 6 lobsters, and several dozen clams - at a party. I ate one, and 2 clams. She burns it off, and I don't.

Exercise expenditure - could be part of it. My friends aren't lazy. they work and play hard. I do believe a key ingredient is moving - the more we move, the less we have to track or care.

But I also saw recently on one of the news broadcasts, a mention of a research study that if we have overweight parents, it's genetically built into us that we'll suffer similarly. So, is it the drive to move that's part of our dna mapping?
    A lot of my 'skinny' friends seem to really enjoy eating fish and vegetables, and are very happy with that as their diet. I have to choke that kind of stuff down and really don't enjoy it. Now, I know that we're supposed to separate food from emotions or rewards but still...it would be nice if I ever got a craving for some kale.