Iron as a Vegetarian

Options
2»

Replies

• Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    A serving of Cream of Wheat has about 60% of the iron you need in a day. Beans are a great source of iron, as are seeds and nuts, and tofu. You can also get iron-fortified cereal, orange juice, and bread. :)
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much until your doctor does.

Wholeheartedly disagree. 1) Most young people don't regularly get a full panel of blood work 2) You are your own best defense in terms of preventative medicine

I guess you have a point. But if he doctor is saying she doesn't have low iron perhaps an additional supplement isn't needed. Mine makes me sick to my stomach/my heart race quite often so I was simply suggesting she could avoid that if it wasn't absolutely necessary since he doctor says medically her iron levels are fine.

But I suppose it is best to stay ahead of the game.
    Seriously? In general, it is not a good idea to deplete your stores of a vitamin or mineral. For people who aren't anemic or haven't been eating an iron-poor diet for a period of time, a well-rounded diet can take the place of supplementation. There are some supplements that many consider far more gentle (e.g., Floradix/Floravital, Garden of Raw, etc.) for people who have not quite reached the level of medical intervention who may need more of a boost than diet can give them.

Despite the fact that omnis like to ask veg*ns where they get their iron, it is abundant in plant-based sources. Heme iron (animal source) is, however, absorbed better than non-heme iron. As others already mentioned, greens and beans are fantastic sources. Quinoa is another great source. Vitamin C boosts iron absorption so having either some citrus or other vitamin c-rich food alongside your food-based iron or iron supplement is a good idea. Calcium can decrease iron absorption so you really don't want to have your big iron-rich meal alongside a lot of dairy, for instance (see also the problem with solely relying on greens for iron).
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I guess the reason for my concern is because I don't regularly eat things like spinach/broccolli, maybe just once a week. I guess I must be getting my iron from iron fortified foods, like bread.

Was very interesting to learn that cooking in cast iron can add iron to food, as well as that quinoa contains iron, and that calcium inhibits absorption. I shall bear this all in mind.

Thanks again. :)
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone mention that Vitamin C promotes iron absorption as well. So citrus, tomato sauce, or peppers at the same time as your high iron foods or in your iron cookware will give you even more.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lentils and leafy greens. You can also cook in cast iron, in the book Where There is No Doctor it recommends that.

I will say this though, you need an acid to help you absord bit - so eat your leafy greens with lemon juice or tomato.
  • shaylan_
    shaylan_ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat loads of spinach, but also get a decent amount of iron from peanut butter, soymilk, and beans. I have to watch mine because I become anemic very easily.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone mention that Vitamin C promotes iron absorption as well. So citrus, tomato sauce, or peppers at the same time as your high iron foods or in your iron cookware will give you even more.

^^^^^ This! I was going to bring up this point as well :).
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are anemic, or find yourselves always borderline, please consider getting tested for celiac disease. It doesn't matter how much iron you're eating if you are not able to absorb it due to celiac disease. Other food intolerances may also come into play; I know I was always anaemic until I gave up meat!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement about once a week. :p
    But besides that, to get iron:
    - green veggies (spinach, bok choy, broccoli all seem to have a good amount)
    - fake meat (like fake hot dogs/sausages/burgers) usually have iron in them - but they aren't necessarily "healthy" :p
    - beans
    - nuts
    Oats and rice have a bit of iron in them as well.

Little amounts add up.

I don't get a lot of iron, but I get enough. :p Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends only
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sorry to jump in so late - but by my calculations, the iron DV in MFP is out by at least a factor of 10 on a lot of iron rich foods.
  • KaroshiQueen
    KaroshiQueen Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Issues like Celiac's or IBS can interfere with iron absorption even if you're getting it in your food. Regular bloodwork is the only way to know. I found out I'm severely anemic and had no idea, but apparently I'm not absorbing much iron or b vitamins even when I eat then in food. I take Hemaplex daily, a vegetarian supplement formulated specifically for blood health. I also get B-complex injections 1x/week. If your hemo levels are normal, try to eat the veggie suggestions above, but a lower-level supplement (Hemaplex is 5X daily iron RDA) would probably give you a decent safety net.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds! Nutritious on so many levels--great source of iron, protein and fiber.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I recently had to start taking a multi vitamin-- I should have been taking it all along, but before I started this lifestyle change, I got plenty of iron from all of the other stuff I used to eat. I noticed recently that I felt weak and my heart would beat faster and I would feel shakey. I had slight anemia when I was younger and this is how I would feel.

I noticed that I felt this way and then realized that in just the last week I stopped eating spinach in the large quantities that I normally did (ran out and couldn't go to the store). Now I'm back on the spinach and taking the vitamin and feel much better!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the iron information on most of the entries in the MFP database, unless they're entries that were actually created by MFP (they're the ones without asterisks) or unless you're verifying that the nutritional information is correct. Most users will enter the calories and the macronutrient information, but everything else is hit-and-miss if the entry was created by a user.
  • Neritel
    Neritel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    check out the nutrion profile of chia seeds: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/96605328
    they have a lot of omega 3 and really a lot of calcium, iron and protein. They gel up with liquids, so apart from putting them on soup or in yoghurt, cerials etc, you can make chia seed "puddings" or thicken up dressings.
    I made a pudding the other day with a blend of almond milk, banana and absorice strawberry protein powder. Try googling "vegan chia seed pudding" :)
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat Total cereal. 100%DV/serving of Iron and a lot of other things.
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 15 years and my iron was always on the low end no matter what I ate and the supplements bother my stomach/GI...

Even now I eat meat maybe once per week, I eat loads of iron rich vegetarian sources and take an iron supplement 2x per week and my blood levels only moved up from the 'deficiency' category to the 'probable deficiency' category...

I think some people are less capable of absorbing non-heme iron (or iron in general) so keep an eye on it and ultimately I think a lot comes down to how you feel... even in the 'normal' range, many women still feel tired and benefit from being a touch higher than 'normal'.
    Good luck!
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I am anemic and take a daily iron and vitamin C supplements. But I have also researched iron rich sources some that I have found are:

Oysters - non vegetarian of course
    Lentils - really good source even in just one cup
    Spinach- is a good source for the calories consumed but isn't the best source if you only care about iron content

ETA- Pumpkin Seeds-- another great vegetarian source- I keep a jar of pepitas on my desk
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you don't need more iron (according to your doctor) then do not supplement it. I just caution towards this because excess iron can cause your cells to age faster than is natural. Stick to foods rich in iron naturally, and if you have a heavy menstrual cycle, then ask your doctor whether it would be safe to supplement around then. That is the main cause of anemia in women.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'd eat a cup of total cereal with an 8 oz glass of orange juice a few times a week if I had issues. That is what my doctor recommends.

I eat fortified breakfast cereal 3x a week or so, and take a multivitamin with iron in it everyday. My bloodwork looks great.