The OCD Stereotype

Options
Hi guys,

I have been diagnosed with OCD since I was 10. I'm 22 now. I find it incredibly hurtful and annoying to the point I feel wound up, when people make fun of OCD and/or stereotype it. Everyone says they have it these days, it's a blatant lie. It's not even the most common mental illness.....anxiety and depression are. And I have anxiety also as well as recovering from agoraphobia...... Does anyone else who has been diagnosed feel the same way? Washing your hands a gazillion times does not mean someone can say ''Oh I'm so OCD''. No. To have OCD you have to have a lot more things going on than just washing your hands or having a cleaning obsession.

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I also have been diagnosed OCD and anxiety and I know exactly what you mean.

My therapist explained it to me this way. Everyone has a little bit of every mental illness and behaviors of every illness. It's just the people who are at the extremes that get diagnosed.

So sometimes when people say "I'm so OCD", they may not be diagnosed, but they may really be slightly obsessive about one particular behavior - like hand washing. So you see, while they are not using the correct terminology, they are not entirely lying. They just don't have it to the extreme way you and I do.

Of course, it is sometimes used just as an exaggeration. But that happens with everything, so I don't take it personally.

Even at work recently, I was working on a very tedious and complicated design set up. Someone, who doesn't know about my mental health, said to me, "Wow, imagine doing this if you had OCD!" I just smiled and shrugged it off. People don't fully understand OCD or it's different manifestations. The project didn't bother my OCD at all (and probably wouldn't bother most people with it either). He just doesn't understand what he's talking about, and that's okay. He didn't mean it offensively.

It's just something anyone with any medical issues has to deal with. I also have a heart problem that people don't understand either. Just know when people say things like that, they don't mean it personally. :)
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have it and I don't feel that way....I have enough to worry about in my life to be concerned if someone wants to self diagnose OCD. It must be the latest "cool" thing to have.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hear you. I do not have a diagnosis of OCD, I have the more common GAD...but when I think of times in my life that my daily activities were severely limited by "OCD" type behaviors, like when I used to examine my teeth in a mirror for hours per day and floss/brush excessively and leave dinner parties or classes (in college) to see if my teeth were loose...yeah that is more what individuals with OCD are dealing with sometimes...not "it drives me crazy the photo on the wall is crooked, omg I am soooo OCD y'all"

So I get it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    must be the same way people with celiac disease feel when someone jumps on the gluten free bandwagon?

i don't know. i think it's part of people's tendency to be hyperbolic. From saying sleeping an extra 10 minutes is the "best ever" or misspelling "lose" is an "epic fail," or that they were so surprised their eyes "literally" fell out of their skull -- people tend to overstate things for emphasis. i'm sure people don't think about it in terms of offending anyone. I know i don't when I say work is "driving me crazy," or that a crappy lunch made me "so depressed." So, while I see your point, i don't think most people have any intention of being offensive.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Got it, thx
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yeah celiac disease people probably do feel that way....I would personally only go gluten free if I needed to.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I get what you mean, I used to feel similarly when someone would complain about having the "worst migraine" while going about their work and chatting and eating - knowing that I had another migraine looming which means 2-3 days in a dark room in silence, sometimes even renting a hotel room because I couldn't get it quiet enough in my flat.

But I'll never change that, and whiule it does in a way minimise the severity of someone who actually HAS the disorder, it also conversely helps in ripping down the stigma about it as a mental disorder. The more people say they have it over the petty stuff, the more it just becomes a part of every day life and people - while they may not understand it entierly - tend to be far more accepting of it. It's not idea, but I guess it serves a purpose?

I don't think you'll ever stop people being hyperbolic about stuff.
  • lilylana
    lilylana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have OCD as well and I agree with you completely. Just because they didn't "mean" for it to be offensive doesn't make it not offensive. Not that it's really their fault, but it's still annoying as hell. It trivializes mental illnesses. It's a disease, not an adjective. This doesn't just apply to OCD but to ADHD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and any other mental illness. People who haven't dealt with mental issues tend to give the whole "well we're not trying offend you, don't take it so seriously" argument but honestly, I think they just don't get it. I've talked to so many people who are ill or are close to someone ill and they usually find this kind of thing offensive.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    Hi there. I also have been diagnosed OCD and anxiety and I know exactly what you mean.

My therapist explained it to me this way. Everyone has a little bit of every mental illness and behaviors of every illness. It's just the people who are at the extremes that get diagnosed.

So sometimes when people say "I'm so OCD", they may not be diagnosed, but they may really be slightly obsessive about one particular behavior - like hand washing. So you see, while they are not using the correct terminology, they are not entirely lying. They just don't have it to the extreme way you and I do.

Of course, it is sometimes used just as an exaggeration. But that happens with everything, so I don't take it personally.

Even at work recently, I was working on a very tedious and complicated design set up. Someone, who doesn't know about my mental health, said to me, "Wow, imagine doing this if you had OCD!" I just smiled and shrugged it off. People don't fully understand OCD or it's different manifestations. The project didn't bother my OCD at all (and probably wouldn't bother most people with it either). He just doesn't understand what he's talking about, and that's okay. He didn't mean it offensively.

It's just something anyone with any medical issues has to deal with. I also have a heart problem that people don't understand either. Just know when people say things like that, they don't mean it personally. :)

You're awesome. :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Damn those OCD posers.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Id say its more of an issue that it upsets you so much you need to raise it in a public forum. Ive got mild OCD involving counting and lining things up. I couldnt give a *kitten* if someone who is orderly says they have it. Likewise I couldnt give a damn if someone having a sad day says they are depressed. Just because I am on antidepressants doesnt make their day any less relevant. I dont mean to be an a** simply mean worry less about other peoples perceptions of themselves and concentrate on you. Its not worth the stress
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Damn those OCD posers.

Lol :)