what is the best low impact exercise for stress

Options

Replies

• squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I second the yoga/pilates idea, but only if you can quiet your mind enough to focus just on that. If not, I find swimming shuts my brain up simply by virtue of the fact that I can't hear anything going on around me and am forced to concentrate on not dying.
    LOL focusing on not dying is a good thing i suppose
    yoga sounds good, i just never know where to start
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I second the yoga/pilates idea, but only if you can quiet your mind enough to focus just on that. If not, I find swimming shuts my brain up simply by virtue of the fact that I can't hear anything going on around me and am forced to concentrate on not dying.

Bend over, breathe a tick, bend deeper.

That's about 25% of my yoga experience to date. lol.
  • squishprincess
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

lol true trueeeee

i try googling 'yoga for stress relief' but i get bored sifting through the videos or articles. guess it's time to delve into that realm again
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Go do aquafit low impact and you concentrate so much in following the moves and not floating away you don't have time to be stressed.
    Belly dancing is the same, I get it so wrong I burst into giggles all the time. Zumba gold( the lighter slower version of Zumba) has the same effect- I have to concentrate so much and get it so wrong stress goes away and giggles come out.
    These may not be the height of cardio etc but doing something that makes you laugh has to be good for you especially if you are stressed.
    Cheers, h
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Walk around the block
    This. Also swimming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly but, when I am stressed I do15-20 minutes just "bouncing" on the mini-trampoline. It is very low impact and gets me in the mindset to do an actual workout...also relieves stress. Sometimes after a rough call (I am a paramedic) I just bounce for a few (5-10) minutes to "center" myself. Highly recommend! (tho' probably NOT much of an actual work out.) lol
  • MadamMina
    MadamMina Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yoga! or a nice walk in the forest.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    remove the source of stress.
    work out to improve your health.

i won't be able to remove the source of stress until i move in january :/
    live in a very emotional household and a bit stuck atm

you may not be able to remove the source of the stress but you CAN change the way you react to it. Try and find a yoga class, or look into Buddhist or mindfulness meditation.

Walking is also a good stress reliever, as is swimming. Punch bags don't help deal with your emotional response, although they sure make you feel good.....

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

so remove yourself from the dealings of the house. Just because you live there doesn't mean you have to be a part of the house hold. I found when I was at home in a stressful environment- I found ever excuse to NOT be at home- and when I was- I was only doing things I like- surfing the net- sewing- or sleeping. I don't get involved in things that stress me out- I remove myself from those situations. Deal with what you need to in common spaces and move on.

don't over think it.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hitting and throwing things are great. Are you able to slam a heavy (about 10lbs or more) medicine ball to the ground? It's best if there is no bounce otherwise, the ball can go balistic if not thrown correctly. There are those filled with sand. When you slam it, it is a great core workout (slammed from almost straight arms over your head and thrown into a squat). If you get those that just stay on the ground instead of bouncing you can do the squat part. Otherwise, you're stuck waiting for the ball to bounce back down on you to catch it.

It is great fun and an overall body workout.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that you enjoy can relieve stress. Yoga or hiking usually work best for me.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    For me, loading a barbell to around 50-55% of my max and focusing on absolutely flawless deadlift form works perfectly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lol, a good heavy deadlift workout, and you don't care about ANYTHING else happening. Just... sleep.
  • squishprincess
    Options

so remove yourself from the dealings of the house. Just because you live there doesn't mean you have to be a part of the house hold. I found when I was at home in a stressful environment- I found ever excuse to NOT be at home- and when I was- I was only doing things I like- surfing the net- sewing- or sleeping. I don't get involved in things that stress me out- I remove myself from those situations. Deal with what you need to in common spaces and move on.

don't over think it.

yea but it's a little hard not to be involved. and i kinda live with an emotionally abusive parent, so getting away is currently a process i'm having to do slowly. and i can't depend on myself to drive as i dont have a car/license so it just sucks being stuck here all the time (i don't have friends to come get me either. no exaggeration lol). the situation just sucks in general but i'm trying to bide time and ignore as much as i can, it's just harder said than done. doesnt help im depressed. ive tried yoga before but it just didnt do much for me even though people say it does..

i think i'd love a punching bag or the medicine ball idea i just need to buy one
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

lol true trueeeee

i try googling 'yoga for stress relief' but i get bored sifting through the videos or articles. guess it's time to delve into that realm again

Go find a vid (I'm certain it's up on Youtube) called "Candlelight Yoga" with Sara Ivanhoe. Watch it, follow along, feel better.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I gotta go with the yoga suggestion. In a class like that you are following directions and it is distracting. I am against the swimming suggestion. I find that when I do something that is kind of mindless and repetitive like that it is like laying in bed, wide awake, in the dark. My mind mulls over whatever is bugging me and I get all worked up and distraught.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am not doing it often enough, but I found in the past that just reading jokes (even when you don't feel like jokes) helps. Might not be exercise but it will take your mind of your problems for a little while :)
    If you read for a good while you can't help it but laugh. Maybe it is just me? :p
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try some of these maybe, you said you didn't know where to start with yoga/pilates :)

http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/full-length-workouts/?type[]=3d&type[]=3b&time_min=&time_max=&cal_min=&cal_max=
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Lock the door, put on your headphones with music that has a beat you can feel in your bones (unless you are able to just blast it for real) and then start moving to the beat. I like techno or music I have an emotional connection with from happier times for this purpose. Kick, twirl, punch, jump, wriggle, shake out the stress, whatever feels right, for as long as you have something to give to the music.
  • squishprincess
    Options
    thanks for all these suggestions. i like them, even if it's not exercise. :) you're all so nice

also the reason i was saying kinda low impact exercise is because i have rosacea so if i get too hot my cheeks/face flare up and get too hot. plus i stay pretty run down from my depression so nothing too extreme is what works best for me :P