Black Friday

Options
I don't know about you guys, but my gym is smack in the middle of about 20 straight miles of stores that are having Black Friday sales. Today I'm starting Stage 1 of NROLFW, and I intend to do three workouts a week- Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Black Friday being what it is, my normal "avoid everyone/traffic" method of going when the gym first opens is useless. Do you recommend I just do two workouts this week and start with three next week? Or do you think there may be a point in the day on Friday where I'll be able to get to my gym with minimal traffic/craziness?

Anyone who's ever been out on Black Friday, your opinions are very welcome. I can safely say I've never left the house on Black Friday, only seen the horrific news stories the following day.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Look at the flyers for the stores around your gym. I know Walmart is having most of their sales on Thursday. There will still be stuff on sale all weekend, but the things that are only guaranteed in stock for 1hr are all on Thursday (ipads/xbox/playstation and such). Target's ad says sales start on Wednesday and the store opens again 6pm Thursday with more sales.

So for at least the stores in my area, the major rush is probably going to be around 6pm Thursday night.

I used to work at walmart and the first couple of hours after starting black friday sales are hectic, but it does start to die down around noon (of course that was before they started having black friday sales on Thanksgiving :neutral_face: )
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that stores are open on Thanksgiving night. My whole family and a lot of my friends have pledged not to shop on Thanksgiving, hoping retailers will decide it's just not worth the hassle if there isn't enough patronage. (Probably a vain hope)

But anyway, I'm thinking you're probably right about the timing. Normally I'll be going after work, so I figure if I go around that time, everyone will probably be all shopped-out and already home.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that stores are open on Thanksgiving night. My whole family and a lot of my friends have pledged not to shop on Thanksgiving, hoping retailers will decide it's just not worth the hassle if there isn't enough patronage. (Probably a vain hope)

Good for you and your family!

• SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I work an opening shift at a Starbucks in an upscale mall on Black Friday. Wish me luck. On the plus side, that'll be my workout for the day.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but my gym is smack in the middle of about 20 straight miles of stores that are having Black Friday sales. Today I'm starting Stage 1 of NROLFW, and I intend to do three workouts a week- Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Black Friday being what it is, my normal "avoid everyone/traffic" method of going when the gym first opens is useless. Do you recommend I just do two workouts this week and start with three next week? Or do you think there may be a point in the day on Friday where I'll be able to get to my gym with minimal traffic/craziness?

Anyone who's ever been out on Black Friday, your opinions are very welcome. I can safely say I've never left the house on Black Friday, only seen the horrific news stories the following day.

Park a mile away and jog/run to the gym. Bonus exercise!

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My mom and I go shopping every black friday because I live out of town and need to buy all the gifts for my family on that day and leave them at my mom's til I go back for Christmas. We go out at like 10am and there is seriously nobody out. All of the crazy people go in the middle of the night and everyone else is too scared to go out, so I really doubt your commute time will be any different unless you go super early in the morning. Maybe try mid-morning?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Parking lot maybe full, gym will be empty.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I believe in alternate plans. Take your workout outdoors if you can (weather permitting, I'm spoiled b/c I live in Northern CA and will be Turkey Trotting) and stay away from all those stores!
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    I've never heard of this back Friday thing??!!! It sounds awful! Maybe public transport is the way to go! You might spot a bargain in the shops too huh :-) good luck!
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Edie30 wrote: »
    I've never heard of this back Friday thing??!!! It sounds awful! Maybe public transport is the way to go! You might spot a bargain in the shops too huh :-) good luck!

Black Friday is absolute madness in the US. People have gotten seriously hurt in the rush of trying to be the first person in the door to get the best stuff. (I don't remember if it was Black Friday or regular Christmas shopping, but last year a woman bit off another woman's finger for stealing her parking spot at the mall. People are NUTS)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I never shop the sales but I have worked a few in my retail days and my SIL is a big Black Friday shopper...most of the sales start at the crack of dawn and you have to get there super early to get anything good so honestly everyone is about cleared out by noon.