Strength Training for girls

Options
Okay... so looking through the threads all I can see on this subject is women being worried that strength training with make them bulky... surprising!

My question is more about some help in increasing my strength and stamina to the point where I can comfortably do pull ups, handstands, press ups etc.... I'd like to be able to hold my own body-weight essentially!

I go to the gym around 4-6 times a week (depends on the week) and do a mixture of weights exercises and cardio. My current weights capability varies per move but is between 6kg-8kg per arm on dumbbells. I can use the assisted pull up with half my body weight. I can do a ton of girl press ups or only just a couple of full ones. I usually do 3 sets of 10-12 reps of each exercise. I don't seem to be progressing on the weight side of things.

So fit girls/guys... what do you advise? I'll take a good training plan if someone can promise progress!!

Thanks!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to support your own bodyweight, look into a bodyweight progression program, like Convict Conditioning or Body by You.

Rather than doing "girl press ups" do them at different heights, with proper form. Can you do a few sets of press ups at counter height? Bench height? The programs I mentioned above will walk you through the progression.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd avoid the assist pull up machine as it doesn't really simulate the movement and the core work necessary in a pull up.

I'm on my phone at the moment, or I'd link you to some good assistance pull up moves, such as elastic band pull ups and jump up pull ups. And negative pull ups. Inverted rows are good too.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Some women consider muscle definition from low body fat to be "bulky".

Along with what the other poster mentioned you might want to consider:
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW)
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • dodgethepodge
    dodgethepodge Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Concordancia!... these are dvd's? I don't have space to do home workouts and money is short (just spent £300 for the year gym membership!)

Never thought to try press ups at counter or bench height... added to my list if that will help!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think the ones she mentioned are books (at least I know convict conditioning is).

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/

Other than that there are free online workouts (like on bodybuilding.com) or one of the programs suggested above (stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The ones I mentioned are available as books and apps. You can certainly do them at the gym! You might want to see if your gym has a class or a free intro to using TRX or similar equipment.

I do bodyweight exercises at the park. For some reason, the nearest one has benches at different heights, so I was able to move from the high backed bench to the low backed bench before moving down to the seat of the bench for press ups. I use playground and the swing set to help me get the right leverage on some exercises. A bit awkward this week, with the kids out of school, though.

All of the lifting programs mentioned by Shadow2soul have large followings here on MFP, and I believe they and the ones I mentioned all have groups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd avoid the assist pull up machine as it doesn't really simulate the movement and the core work necessary in a pull up.

I'm on my phone at the moment, or I'd link you to some good assistance pull up moves, such as elastic band pull ups and jump up pull ups. And negative pull ups. Inverted rows are good too.

cosign this

working with bands
    having a helper to help you
    using the step risers or a machine to put your foot against to give you a self assist (use a chair at home if you have an at home pull up bar)
    doing negatives
    doing reverse/austrailian pull ups (hang under say a smith machine bar- pull your chest to the bar)
    - dumb bell rows
    - lat pull downs
    - cable rows
    - bar bell rows...

and lastly- I'd add the assisted machine- it's just such a horrible not effective way to get you what you want.
  • dodgethepodge
    dodgethepodge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank's all!

Great starting point... I will do some research and work out a new plan from these!

In term of the TRX equipment.. it's being fitted in my gym's refurb beginning of December so I imagine they'll have plenty when it arrives.

Thanks again! The beefy men can be intimidating to ask at the gym and kinda look at me a little funny when I ask them about weights lol!
  • MaoTzu
    MaoTzu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would suggest, at the very least, adding the big three to your routine: deadlifts, squats, and bench press.
    Avoid using a smith machine for these.
    If you need to follow a program, I second Stronglifts 5X5.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    MaoTzu wrote: »
    I would suggest, at the very least, adding the big three to your routine: deadlifts, squats, and bench press.
    Avoid using a smith machine for these.
    If you need to follow a program, I second Stronglifts 5X5.

x3
    and there's an app for stronglifts that shows you exactly what to do on what days.