Disappointed with slow weightloss.

Options
Iv been threw the ups and downs of weightloss and healthy life style. The past several months iv been working hard and eating right to lose weight, I hardly losing any weight and no I don't want to give up but it's so disappointing to be putting in all the hard work and not getting back what I think I deserve. The worst part is a still have a lot to lose and my weight is not going anywhere! Is anyone else dealing with slow weightloss?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What do you call "slow"?
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Only loseing like 3 a month.. I have over 100 pounds still to lose
  • concordancia
    Options
    OK, that is actually a bit on the slow side. Have you rerun calculations to make sure you still have the correct goals for your current weight?

Even if you are doing everything right, your body might be taking some time to readjust after the impressive weight loss you have already achieved. Keep up the good work!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    While you lose 100lbs, without a doubt you will likely go through times where the weight loss slows down almost to nothing for months. Try to think of it like "practicing for maintenance mode."
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options
    Yeah, it kinda makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.. But I guess that's true just never thought it would happen with 100 pounds to lose.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    what have your calories been like? I agree you might need to reevaluate your calorie goals.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options
    I try and eat 1400 a day but I don't reach it most days to be honest..
  • concordancia
    Options
    Since you say "working hard," I assume that you are working out. What kind of workouts are you doing?

1400 is probably a bit low for you, if you are working out regularly. With a few more calories, sometimes you have the energy to move more and put a bit more oomph into your workouts, thus burning way more calories. (Ignore this advice if you are eating back exercise calories, obviously)
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    well you should be losing but since your diary isn't open we can't give you any more specific feedback. Are you tracking your calories daily, accurately, measuring/weighing correctly, etc?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    are you doing the same exercise that you were when you started?

your body gets more efficient as you keep doing the same thing - it aims to conserve energy, so eventually the same exercise will burn less and less calories.

try mixing it up a bit and see if that gets the ball rolling again.

i checked through your pics, by the way - your before and afters are mindblowing. i applaud your dedication.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options
    I do insanity in the morning, and usually do a light 45 minute work out in my basement area that I made into my little gym, so that's my treadmill, elliptical rower and weights and once a week I go swimming.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for thyroid issues?
  • ebbtime
    ebbtime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My weight loss was non existent until a few months ago. I have MS so I don't exercise. My weight loss has to be done through diet & cutting calories. I've lost 16lbs since July. That's about 3lbs per month. Yes, it does suck but at least I'm trying. I've noticed some pants are very loose & that makes me feel good & want to keep going. Especially when co-workers & my parent say they can tell. I have about 50lbs to go before I'll be in my "ideal" weight range. But, you can do it. Don't give up!
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    are you doing the same exercise that you were when you started?

your body gets more efficient as you keep doing the same thing - it aims to conserve energy, so eventually the same exercise will burn less and less calories.

try mixing it up a bit and see if that gets the ball rolling again.

i checked through your pics, by the way - your before and afters are mindblowing. i applaud your dedication.
    I added in my 45 mins at the end of the day.. And thank you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked, otherwise you're eating more than you think.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

+1

I tend to get too anxious about the scale, the number on the scale, etc. so I hardly ever weigh. I work out, lift, watch my calories (I eat more calories than you) & just trust the process. If it's slow it's still progress. I am off the "eat as little as possible" train & on the "let's do something sustainable long-term" bandwagon.

Double check your diary & give some thought to how many exercise calories you're allowing & how many you're eating back.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Have you seen her before and after pics? She's already lost loads, so she must've been eating at a deficit.

1400 seems quite low if you have 100 to lose. Maybe increase it a little. Try to get lots of protein in. I find lower carb works for me.

I lose quite slowly, like 1-1.5lbs a week, and I started off over 200lbs after my baby, and also after my last baby. Actually, the first month back at the gym after my 2nd baby I lost 2lbs and I was working my a*se off. I did lose a lot of inches though. Make sure you take measurements as well as weighing yourself.

I use a food scale, I eat well, I workout 5/6 times a week at the gym, I walk loads and I run round after 3 kids, and I still only lose around 1lb a week. But all those 1lbs add up! I think some of us do just lose slowly. Just keep at it!
  • Allisonfitness99
    Options
    I'm getting a lot of people talking about the food.. Maybe that's what it is, I'm going to try and change up my food intake!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are eating 1400 calories with a 100lbs to lose - problem number one.
    - You are doing insanity + 45 mins more cardio without fueling your body - problem number 2....
    - Eat more, drop the 45 mins of extra cardio or exchange it with weight lifting if you really feel you have to work out for 2 hours a day.....which btw is not needed for weight loss....
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely include weights as part of your workouts.

I aim for 1550 calories so feel free to look at my diary for ideas. That's how much I ate after my 2nd baby and I lost 66lbs (see pic in the blue/white dress). And that's what I'm doing again with roughly 35lbs to go now.